Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The serious thread

• 06-04-2010 2:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭

Here's the original, for the sake of completeness. If you want to whine about moderation, make a suggestion or request, or ask a serious question of the moderators, post here. No pics, no jokes, no silly whatsoever.

Like its predecessor, this is the ONLY thread in TCN where the moderators will respond seriously to anything. If anyone else posts something here that is NOT serious, they will be removed with extreme and unfair prejudice. If any of the above is not clear, do not post in this thread.

Note: This does not mean the moderators will consider your whinging to have any value, however serious it may be. Consider your posts carefully. Grammatical nightmares will most likely be completely ignored. Reasonable and well-informed posts will not be ignored.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I would love to have my posts in tCN added to my post count. ;) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That will not happen. Post count has never been a feature of TCN, and it never will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Are you pushing for thanks for TCN at all Sarky?

Or are you against the whole concept?

I am against it.

TCN is not a regular forum. There's a reason it was created as part of the Sys category instead of, say, Rec. It's alt.stupid for Boards.ie (look that up if you don't know what it was/is). TCN is part of boards as an entity, as opposed to a discussion forum offered by Boards.ie the service. It's a subtle but very important distinction.

I've spent the last 6 months working to get the Nest back to where it belongs. A silly place by and for Boardsies rather than just another Humourous/Social forum.It should not require thanks, the same way it does not require post count. All it requires is bizarre silliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

a few stickies are ggood
    but I am not very good at paying attention to them
    because they update so rarely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

The "Count to ten" and "Count to a million" threads should be unstickyed...

Too many stickys...

I'm considering this.

Unstickying the count to a million would probably get people whining. And I like the count to ten. I'd like to keep it there as long as people are counting to a million, to taunt them.

Something will happen the number of stickies in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Why do you think just cause you don't like a thread, that you can do whatever to it, like it or not, the count to a million thread brings new posters to the nest ......face it Sarky it's part of the nest, for that reason the old one has to stay stickyed..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Gah, JG, its not like he's trying to close the current Count! And as a man who personally congratulates himself on cutting down the number of stickies in his own juristiction to "just" eight (well, nine, but one of them's a temp job :D) I can emphathise with Sarky on this one! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

As if Sol, he wants to leave a thread there just cause he thinks it will taunt people, well don't know about the others, but it does nothing to me!!!
    The old Count thread earned it's place here, and should stay stickyed.

• Advertisement

joes girls wrote: »
    Why do you think just cause you don't like a thread, that you can do whatever to it, like it or not, the count to a million thread brings new posters to the nest ......face it Sarky it's part of the nest, for that reason the old one has to stay stickyed..

It brings in people to the count to a million thread. Nothing more. It's one of the reasons TCN has such a piss-poor image across Boards.ie. Nothing but chat (there's a thread for that, you numpties) and spam. Not even amusing spam. Really really f*cking boring +1 spam, the kind of which is despised by everyone on Boards. The only reason I haven't shut the whole thing down is because the amount of whiny bleating from the people who post nowhere else would probably crash the whole damned site.

If it's a part of TCN, it's a part best ignored. Or smothered in the night with a pillow.

I'll not entertain any more questions about that idiotic thread for another month. Do not try my patience with it until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Sarky wrote: »
    It brings in people to the count to a million thread. Nothing more. It's one of the reasons TCN has such a piss-poor image across Boards.ie. Nothing but chat (there's a thread for that, you numpties) and spam. Not even amusing spam. Really really f*cking boring +1 spam, the kind of which is despised by everyone on Boards. The only reason I haven't shut the whole thing down is because the amount of whiny bleating from the people who post nowhere else would probably crash the whole damned site.

If it's a part of TCN, it's a part best ignored. Or smothered in the night with a pillow.

I'll not entertain any more questions about that idiotic thread for another month. Do not try my patience with it until then.

I would like to know your views on how tCN will look in 1 months time. i.e.:

Typically, what type of threads will exist/not exist?

What are your issues with the current threads? .."Really really f*cking boring +1 spam,"

ta.

I have no idea what this place will look like in a month. Most TCN posters are unpredictable. So are their threads, at least in recent months. As it should be.

I only have issues with threads that are not sufficiently silly. There'll probably be less of those, but who can really say? And no, before anyone asks I will not define "silly".

Sarky, what do you think of the nest as it is now (Bar this serious thread)? and why do you oppose the chat thread of which we love?

I'm mostly happy with the place. Since the major whining died off, the creativity and random nature of the place has improved a lot.

As for chat threads, I've never liked them. They add little but banal small talk. Go on, see how many pages of the Straitjacket Lounge you can read before the repetition gets to you. It currently has value in that it reduces people posting chatty spam on every thread. Also if it died people would whine about entitlements or some such rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I have no idea what this place will look like in a month. Most TCN posters are unpredictable. So are their threads, at least in recent months. As it should be.

I only have issues with threads that are not sufficiently silly. There'll probably be less of those, but who can really say? And no, before anyone asks I will not define "silly".

What do you think of the picture/story led threads of recent times- hedghog, bridges, etc....I know these ideas can go stale v. quickly but I know a lot of us got a kick out of them on the night..especially with fast-paced responses...since we have the embedded picture facility in tCN, I think we should use it to our advantage..

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

Don't ye think the rules for entry into the soccer forum are just ridiculous and too harsh

Don't ye think the rules for entry into the soccer forum are just ridiculous and too harsh

That has nothing to do with this forum.

No. When soccer posters stop acting like belligerent self-righteous jerks with a sense of entitlement so massive light can't escape the surface, maybe the rules will change.

of course, this will never actually happen.

Next person to post something that doesn't involve TCN gets permanently banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Anything i say is slightly odd anyway so this is normal compared to the likes of some of the other stuff i post. Most of the Kilkenny City posters wouldnt recognise me here.

I do have one serious thing to say though: This moaning of random shít in threads Im on bugs the crap out of me especially the threads I start. I do not care for the gripes you have with others, if you have a gripe with me I also dont care but dont ruin my thread or others threads just for the sake of being a pain. Dont cross me on this.

• Advertisement

*Happy Again*

Butters, who's been complaining? and about what?

Sarky, do you think the nest would be better suited to another category, rather then in the arse end of boards.ie that is the "Sys" category? I think we'll get more uswers if we were in the "Rec" category!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I actually quite like it under Sys :(

Lord Butterslip: Thanks for your contribution. The whining used to annoy me too. If you have an issue with anyone's posting, please feel free to use the post report function under their names in the offending item, and one of the moderators will have a closer look. TCN is not a place where complaining loudly enough gets you what you want. A reasonable and polite PM will do far more than throwing a hissy fit across the forum.

sNarah: So do I. And like I said, it's in Sys for a very good reason.

Fago!: TCN is not a social forum like After Hours. It harks back to a time when each forum wasn't such an isolated xenophobic island suspicious of strangers or newbies. Right now I can't think of a better way to explain it than I did in post #5 (which is slightly paraphrased from something community manager Dav said, actually):
    TCN is not a regular forum. There's a reason it was created as part of the Sys category instead of, say, Rec. It's alt.stupid for Boards.ie (look that up if you don't know what it was/is). TCN is part of boards as an entity, as opposed to a discussion forum offered by Boards.ie the service. It's a subtle but very important distinction.

Fago!: TCN is not a social forum like After Hours. It harks back to a time when each forum wasn't such an isolated xenophobic island suspicious of strangers or newbies. Right now I can't think of a better way to explain it than I did in post #5 (which is slightly paraphrased from something community manager Dav said, actually):

That's fine. Just checkin' :)

Lord Butterslip: Thanks for your contribution. The whining used to annoy me too. If you have an issue with anyone's posting, please feel free to use the post report function under their names in the offending item, and one of the moderators will have a closer look. TCN is not a place where complaining loudly enough gets you what you want. A reasonable and polite PM will do far more than throwing a hissy fit across the forum.

Sorry I have just changed it a bit, I was tired when i wrote that.

This is not a chat thread. You have one of those. Two, if one includes the counting thread.

Read the original post before posting in this thread again, everyone.

Sarky just curious.......

why is smoke.me.a.kipper a mod of this forum? He doesn't do anything? He never posts. This forum is grand with you as mod, do we really need another? Also, Tar. Although I do have an undying love for Tar, she/he/it never posts here. Why are they mods?

• Advertisement

Oh, they work more out of the spotlight, as it were. It's not always me when a reported post gets dealt with. Not by a long shot.

Advertisement