Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Ghost signs'

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Presumably they did as the 'KP' logo is still on the woodwork of Elvery's Sports

OConnellStreetLowerElverysHPDetail.jpg
    Thanks Wishbone.
    I asked my mammy and she says she remembers the shop.:o

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

1968 wrote: »
    1997 Irish Times article:

Read's of Parliament Street, the oldest shop in Dublin, has closed "until further notice" and is unlikely ever to reopen as a cutlers. The business was founded in 1675 and had been trading at its present location for over 200 years.

Through peaceful and turbulent times over the past two centuries it was the place to buy a good pair of scissors or a set of kitchen knives. All of its current stock, housed in glass cabinets, is still in place behind the shuttered windows. Mr Michael Smith, of An Taisce, said Read's was another victim of the property boom, along with many other Dublin icons which had become casualties of the Celtic Tiger economy that was turning the city into a "faceless, nameless place".

"An Taisce has been railing about this for years, that loads of money plus inadequate protection for our heritage spells cultural collapse at a rate that's directly proportionate to our economic growth. Other cities are more careful to retain the things that are important."

Mr Smith said Read's was not only the oldest but the most charming shop in Dublin, with much of its interior still intact. "The owner promised to keep it and even to put in a museum on the first floor, but, needless to say, this hasn't happened," he added.

Mr Hugh O'Regan, the pub transformation wizard who acquired Read's four years ago, told The Irish Times that it was "unlikely we will reopen it as a cutlers' shop", though he emphasised that no final decision had been taken on its fate.

"We had a couple of bad incidents there recently. Ronnie Carbury, the cutler who had served in the shop for 40 years, was threatened by three guys with knives who robbed the till. There wasn't much in it, admittedly, as the shop doesn't make any money."

Mr O'Regan borrowed the name of its founder, Thomas Read, for his pub next door, which incorporates The Oak bar on Dame Street. Its interior contains elements of the elaborately carved pulpit from St George's Church in Hardwicke Place.

He has planning permission for a hotel on the upper floors of Thomas Read's and The Oak, having initially considered an apartment conversion. Two apartments and the promised museum were to be installed on the upper floors of the old cutlers' shop.

"It would be great to maintain the shop as a cutlers, but unfortunately it doesn't pay. If someone came up with a range of goods that would appeal to tourists, I would consider it," Mr O'Regan said. "On the other hand, maybe the OPW would like to take it over."

---

Eamon Mac Thomais visits Reads and talk about its unrivaled history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm_fwV9ERM8

06:45 mins in.
    I was going to ask someone about Reads, nice one

Theres another sign on a gable end on the western way ( I think). That building with the steel spiderweb/railing thing on it has "atlantic limestone" and another word behind it

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

It's on Palace Street - (The shortest street in Dublin and with only 2 addresses. ;)).

It may not have been mentioned as it is still a functioning charity (although I'm not sure if it still operates from that premises).

PalaceStreet-1.jpg

A common misunderstanding but he term "roomkeepers" refers to the people/families who were forced to live in one room, not to the landlords who owned the rooms.

On my walk home I pass by (what I now assume is) the modern home of the Sick and Indigent Roomkeepers Society on Lower Leeson Street:

98823.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Emerald Street

EmeraldStreetEmeraldDairyDetail.jpg

East Essex Street

EssexStreetEastNugent.jpg

Henry Lane

HenryPlaceGoodalls.jpg

Hill Street

HillStreetLeggBros.jpg

Island Street

IslandStreetMendicity-1.jpg

Kevin Street

KevinStreetGardaStationLamp.jpg

Kildare Street

KildareStreetGarageDetail.jpg

Leeson Lane

LeesonLaneDispensery.jpg

Lord Edward Street

LordEdwardStreetHardingHome.jpg

Lower Mayor Street

MayorStreetlowerExciseStoreDetail.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

Any idea what the "M. Nugent & Bonder ..." was on 36 East Essex Street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The Mendicity Institute is still in existence. I am fairly sure too that that place is still open.

I can think of some ghost signs, which haven't been posted yet. I will try do that shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

1968 wrote: »
    Any idea what the "M. Nugent & Bonder ..." was on 36 East Essex Street?

A 'bonder' to me sounds like a whiskey bonder. Pubs used to bottle whiskey themselves from the casks. Some people got sneaky and were bottling sub-standard stuff and passing it off as legit so distillers formed a "bond" with bonders. I think it had something to do with putting up a deposit or something to make sure you didn't fleece anyone. Or something similar like that. Lots of pub still have their "Whiskey bonder" signs both behind the bar, in the pub and in the front window or front of building.

The Mendicity Institute is still in existence. I am fairly sure too that that place is still open
    Yes, I kinda thought that alright as I see people going in and out but wasn't sure if it served it orginal purpose. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Don't have a decent photo of it, but there's the "Burton's" building on Dame St

burtons_lge.jpg

(the "BURTON'S" is to the top right of the pic)

Also, on Exchequer St

328118717_dc8ba54c0a.jpg

And what a shame this lot aren't still around. I remember the swastikas adoring their chimney stack in Ballsbridge, up to at least the 1980s. Unreal!

swastika.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mambo wrote: »

burtons_lge.jpg

Not a brilliant photo either, I took it from my car as I was passing by.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=98924&stc=1&d=1260786434

• Advertisement

Not a brilliant photo either, I took it from my car as I was passing by.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=98924&stc=1&d=1260786434
    Here's a clearer one - "Burton - The Tailor of Taste"

DameStreetBurtonDetail.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Some from driving on Saturday

Apostlate Maris on Bereford Place opposite Custom House.
    ???????? Merchants on junction of Aston Quay and Prices Lane
    Royal Liver Insurance on Ballast House, Aston Quay
    Very faded sign saying Fruit (maybe more) above the dodgy lane beside the Busstop? newsagent on Eden Quay

This Cadbury's ad used to be at Pearse Station, but may have been put up for a film?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/76006006@N00/403395149

tricky D wrote: »
    Some from driving on Saturday

Apostlate Maris on Bereford Place opposite Custom House
    Allow me! :)

BeresfordPlaceDetail.jpg

(Apostolatus Maris is the RC Church's maritime division.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

And what a shame this lot aren't still around. I remember the swastikas adoring their chimney stack in Ballsbridge, up to at least the 1980s. Unreal!

Was driving near last night, the chimney is still there, could not see it properly so not sure if it is still decorated...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Saw this the other day...

98994.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Hmmm, Does this count?

4188541572_95a3deb674.jpg

The old McBirney & Co. store on Aston Quay

Aston_Quay_1.jpg
    (sorry, best photo I could find - the "McBirney & Co" is above the door)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Good few Mary's Abbey and Chancery St, was on the luas so couldn't take pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Always see a chemist sign on the brickwork, from the train, somewhere between Connolly Station, and Pearse Street. The train would often stop at this location. One of those things that I always saw. Will take a photo of it next time. IIRC, there is still a chemist there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Theres far too much light in this photo but anyway, This is located on abby street just across from the Abby theater.,:)

4188389619_3705623446_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Absolutely excellent thread. I'm a Town Planner by profession so to see people genuinely interested in the preservation of things like this is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Absolutely excellent thread. I'm a Town Planner by profession so to see people genuinely interested in the preservation of things like this is fantastic.

Thanks, we appreciate the feedback.

To be honest I'm surprised at the level of interest in the thread, indeed I've found myself now looking around Dublin for 'ghost signs' and have become more and more aware of the amount of 'ghost buildings/businesses' about the place.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

It's on Palace Street - (The shortest street in Dublin and with only 2 addresses. ;)).

It may not have been mentioned as it is still a functioning charity (although I'm not sure if it still operates from that premises).

They moved to Lower Leeson St. and yes still operate. The original building was sold a few years back and is now a family home - there was a feature on it in the Irsih Times a few years ago.

CamdenStreetUpperHarcourtRoad.jpg
    That's the original Kelly's Grocers that gave Kellys Corner it's name.

Hermy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're all familiar with Foxes cigar shop on Grafton Street...

...but does anyone know if this entrance around the corner in College Green was the original?

Cool pictures.

That is still part of JJ Fox - it houses part of the 'keep'. JJ Fox own that entire building, and the entrance was always on Grafton Street.

Kapp & Peterson were always at the Grafton St address, so the sign is an old advertisement for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i remember the hardware on the corner of abbey street/marlborough street, the owner had a warning in the window mesh 'warning, 10,000 volts'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

swastika.jpg

Wow! Hah f*ck... wow!
    Masada wrote: »
    Theres far too much light in this photo but anyway, This is located on abby street just across from the Abby theater.,:)

4188389619_3705623446_b.jpg

That's a great photo!

Yeah tell people to stop covering up the past with tacky neon signs! :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

i remember the hardware on the corner of abbey street/marlborough street, the owner had a warning in the window mesh 'warning, 10,000 volts'

For some reason he refused to sell his premises to Irish Life when they built the mall so they had to build the Irish Life Mall around his shop..he never sold anything either.

• Advertisement

Great photos.

The Burtons building is called Burton Chambers - it's written over one of the entrances.

I was in what's left of the Swastika Laundry this morning, and all that's left is the chimney stack, but they've cleaned it up and removed the swastikas. It's right by the entrace to Jackie Skelly in the Oval Building.

Advertisement