Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shaman Feedback

Options
  • 22-09-2008 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Still relatively new to the game so still looking for pointers and feedback.

Heres my toon : http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Terenas&n=Ansidhe

I try and update armor and weapons every 5/6 levels, but have read conflicting advice about doing this. I need to start conserving gold now though for next mount etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Hey mate,

Currently leveling a shammy myself (62) but eh first thing i noticed was your build, its pretty bad. i will link my current build beow, you really need to get storm strike, its your primary attack and use it as often as you can as its usefull for proccing all your passive skills like flurry and sham focus.

Heres a build you should have at your level:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/shaman/talents.html?tal=0000000000000000000050052021051013053115000000000000000000000

And aim for somthing like this come level 70

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/shaman/talents.html?tal=0500000000000000000050052021051013353115150005001000000000000

Also your wepaons are the wrong way around, always have the slowest wepon in main and fastest in offhand.

Totems i use for just general mob killing is strength of eart and grace of air p at all times. and mana sprin is handy if yer having mana problems but once you get to 62 its near impossible to run out of mana with water shield and sham rage.

Thats all i can think of for the moment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You also badly need to change some of your gear. Head, shoulder and neck are in dire need of a replacement. Ask in your guild for a BS/LW/JC to make the items for you. Your weps could do with a upgrade too. Sayign that your only 9 levels away from outland, so you could probably pick up the stuff from quests. And within a level or two in outland you will replace almost everything you have. Hold off on enchants, especially the expensive ones untill you hit 70.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Cheers guys much appreciated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Unlike most other dual wielding classes, shamans get the best effect from 2.4+ speed weapons in both hands.

This is because, currently, putting windfury on both weapons is still the highest dps, if both weapons are 2.4+

This is because windfury cannot proc within several seconds of itself, on either weapon.

Otherwise, I'd agree with pretty much everything else that is said here. Although I'd pick up 3 points in nature's guidance over 3 points in concussion, any day of the week and twice on sundays ;)

At least until you get lots more hit rating gear at 70.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'd say the weapons are the right way around. Higher max damage in main hand for procs.

If you're staying enhancement ditch some strenght and boost your agi. You need to get your crit chance up more and agility will do that. Some people say the opposite - it's a matter of opinion. My shammy is elemental so I never really studied primary stats for enh too much.

[edit] I should state that I don't mean scrapping all strength bonuses. you get 2 AP for every 1 str but imo crit chance helps a lot so it's finding a balance between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Best to level with beastmaster spec, something like this should do:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/hunter/talents.html?tal=0500320152501205310510505201205000000000000000000000000000000000

Ive never got a hunter very high in level, but im sure the above specc will do you well

nix wrote: »
    Best to level with beastmaster spec, something like this should do:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/hunter/talents.html?tal=0500320152501205310510505201205000000000000000000000000000000000

Ive never got a hunter very high in level, but im sure the above specc will do you well

dude... He's a shaman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

dude... the second link was for a hunter :p (see post #6)

Heh, i didnt see that one. Sorry nix mate :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Ivan wrote: »
    Unlike most other dual wielding classes, shamans get the best effect from 2.4+ speed weapons in both hands.

This is because, currently, putting windfury on both weapons is still the highest dps, if both weapons are 2.4+

This is because windfury cannot proc within several seconds of itself, on either weapon.

Otherwise, I'd agree with pretty much everything else that is said here. Although I'd pick up 3 points in nature's guidance over 3 points in concussion, any day of the week and twice on sundays ;)

At least until you get lots more hit rating gear at 70.
    i think 2.6 speed weapons are ideal if you can get your hands on em..

iirc :D

Fixed the talent build and I'll work on the gear now, thanks all for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Before you go mad on either Strength or Agi, read up a bit on the WOTLK beta forums as it's all change for the next patch.
    I forget which one though, think it's Str becomes pretty much useless for Enh Shaman.

If my advice means anything, I'd suggest you ditch the Shaman and concentrate on the Hunter instead.

You won't tire or get frustrated with the hunter and I'm sure will get it all the way to 80 come expansion without being bored but with hand on heart I can only say that the Shaman class is a dead class for anyone but a serious raider come expansion.
    Still play my Shaman but am reserved to change my main to my Hunter instead and have been gearing him up in prep for the expansion.

When I have the hunter at 80 I'll then probably roll a DeathKnight if I can be arsed.

Honestly, you'll get a lot more longterm fun from the hunter than from the Shaman.

Deffo go BM for levling, then go 41/20 when you start raiding. Your gear seems to be all over the place. The only stats you need on a hunter are:

1.Agi
    2.AP
    3.Crit
    4.Hit
    5.Stam
    6.Int

Completly ignore proc swords/axes/polearms. Go duel weild with Agi/AP/Stam on them(dont worry about wep speed, as you should hardly ever be in melee). Also ignore stats liek spirit and strength their pretty much useless.

Sorry the Shaman is my character the Hunter my wifes. Son also plays, though we are all new to the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Before you go mad on either Strength or Agi, read up a bit on the WOTLK beta forums as it's all change for the next patch.
    I forget which one though, think it's Str becomes pretty much useless for Enh Shaman.

If my advice means anything, I'd suggest you ditch the Shaman and concentrate on the Hunter instead.

You won't tire or get frustrated with the hunter and I'm sure will get it all the way to 80 come expansion without being bored but with hand on heart I can only say that the Shaman class is a dead class for anyone but a serious raider come expansion.
    Still play my Shaman but am reserved to change my main to my Hunter instead and have been gearing him up in prep for the expansion.

When I have the hunter at 80 I'll then probably roll a DeathKnight if I can be arsed.

Honestly, you'll get a lot more longterm fun from the hunter than from the Shaman.
    Enhancement shaman are having their primary stats changed in Wrath, this is correct.

Instead of 2 attack power from strength they are getting 1 from strength and 1 from agility. Similar to rogues.

However, they also currently have a low enhancement talent, in wrath that gives 1 ap from intellect. Making hunter and "crap" enhancement mail ridiculously good for them.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by shaman will be a dead class for all but serious raiders, the spirit wolves are all sorts of crazy awesome in wrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Boru could prob make some gear for ya both if needed. Think has LW maxed. Not sure about mail if can make some or needa bs or sumfin. I could give a hand with skinnin on lock on thurs maybe if needed but Saute seems to have skinnin as well so could maybe manage the required leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I've leveled to shammies to 70 so I'll throw you some more advice.

Of all the gear in your inventory the on thing thats really worth buying off the ah is a good blue weapon, because it does help. Try to always have the bestish weapon for your level range. don't worry too much about having blue quality mail gear at those levels its not a huge advantage and a lot of it is more hunter orientated anyway ( like elven chain boots).

Also when fighting against mobs that are maybe 2 or 3 levels above you dont be afraid to equip a shield and just dps them with one of your weapons. Unlike the other classes that can use shields shamans can still do ok damage with a shield equipped. You might find this helps with taking down elites too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Ivan wrote: »
    Also, I'm not sure what you mean by shaman will be a dead class for all but serious raiders, the spirit wolves are all sorts of crazy awesome in wrath.

Nope, spirit wolves look great and all that but the damage they do is laughable and completely pointless, unless it's changed significantly and buffed an awful lot, it will remain nothing more than a useless gimmick.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still probably play my Shaman for world and BG pvp purposes (as I find pve raids etc., boring) but I really do not see anything worthwhile in the class come expansion and cannot see it surviving or pulling in many new players to the class.

I will admit that Resto has been buffed and is actually decent enough to play as a spec and assuming decent gear outside of PVE but both Enhancement and Elemental are pish poor in my opinion.

DeathKnights pish all over Shamans as a class and if were starting fresh with a choice of a close to 60 DeathKnight or level 1 Shaman, DK all the way.

Or, re-rolling a DK up to 80 or bothering to level up a Shaman from 70 to 80 ? Again, DK all the way.

Sad as I've put an awful lot into the Shaman as a main character for a long long time but really, don't see the point in the class at all anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

If HairyFairy doesnt mind im gonna throw in a post here too. I was playing a pally for the last while but i got bored with the class and rolled up a shammy.

i really like the class but i'm like TheHairyFairy im new to the class and im not really sure what to do. im doing i've read up on the wow wiki and on the wow forms but im still a little lost

Here's my toon:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Argent+Dawn&n=Havelock

Id be really greatful for some advise on how to get the best out of the class. I know my gears muck but at the moment the guild im in doens't have allot of gear to be giving away so i just have to scrounge what i can get for the moment.

Even if i could get some general advise on talent builds and some gear i should be aiming towards id be muchos greatful,

cheers guys

• Advertisement

I dont know much about the shammys to be honest, but i guess they are similar enough to hunters gear wise for the agi, ap, int, crit, stam and so forth, so look out for them stats when picking gear. I wouldnt worry about yout gear too much untill you hit outland, and when you get there the gear is practicially free. Random mobs drop half decent greens. And the quests in HH give some half decent stuff to upgrade when you hit outland at 58. Although i find sticking in Azeroth untill 60 helps. Ungoro and silithus should get you to 60 no probs, and their piss easy areas to quest.

I suppose tellent wise it depends which way you want to play, do you want to get up close and personal? or do some casting? Wowiki should have some tallent builds and explinations of it i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

oops sorry should have mentioned that :D

Yea i like up close and personall

was thinking of specc'ing an enhancement shaman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭watman

decent weapon and shield , until the patch strength will give you the most attack power although you will benefit from all the "hunter gear" once the new patch is released as attack power also will come from agility and intellect :) or you get to level 40 where you can duel wield which ever comes first. I have not been enchancement for a long time and i dont think spirit wolves will make me change from resto

Advertisement