Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volkswagen Caddy, opinions?

Options
  • 04-04-2011 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

I have to sell my beloved mitsi strada as, i just cant afford it:( I'm looking for a small van like a Caddy (old shape, eg 98) but can be swayed if there is a better van out there (car van also considered like a golf for example). What are the caddy's like? Any trouble? Would it be hard to find a decent one that hasn been overworked or are they well able for it? I drove my da's nissan kubistar i think. A bit light on the road. All opinions welcome. I have only about 1500 to spend. Sorry about no paragraphs. Im on the phone. Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

you could pick up a decent partner or berlingo for 1500 ive had 2 and had no problems. nothing wrong with a caddy fairly reliable you could look at a astra van or combi. those nissan kubistar vans are a bit soft as are the renault kangoos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

What are the berlingo's like to pull a trailor? They look a bit light like the kubistars but maybe im wrong.

2.0 HDI engine is great for towing 1.9D is sluggish but is grand for towing not so large loads. i drove a kubistar before i bought the second partner and it wasnt half the van the partner was. what type of trailer work are u doing?? the TDI caddy is a good van but i dont think they came out till 02.

ronaldo84 wrote: »
    2.0 HDI engine is great for towing 1.9D is sluggish but is grand for towing not so large loads. i drove a kubistar before i bought the second partner and it wasnt half the van the partner was. what type of trailer work are u doing?? the TDI caddy is a good van but i dont think they came out till 02.

Was it just a straight 1.9 up to 2002??
    Regards trailor work, nothing major. Pulled good loads with the jeep but i know it will be some difference with a small van, so id only be doing light work with it. Ok well although im not a fan of the french yokes your beginning to twist me arm:D Are them hdi engines turbo'd? And does the turbo make much difference on them bar the extra HP?

ya hdi is turbo didnt come out in berlingo/partner till late 01/02 same as the caddy. there would be 20-30 BHP between the straight and turbo models the turbo being 90 BHP. it makes a hell of a difference. the berlingo/ partner straight 1.9 D is a indirect diesel engine nearly all diesels are direct nowadays. i could only get 38-40 mpg out of the straight diesel. the turbo or HDI is far better. im no mechanic now but thats my grasp on them. no small van is designed to pull big loads, a 8x4 builders trailer full up is enough to be towing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I would be a bigger fan of the Caddy/Inca over the Berlingo/Partner but then again I loathe french yokes.

The one thing I will say in the frenchies favour is that I have never seen one with rot on it unless it was badly repaired. Some of the older Caddy vans have started to come in with rotten sills where they have been badly jacked and the rear chassis rotten on some of them too.

Check the cross member that runs left to right in front of the rear axle. Esp the drivers side near the top shock mount. Poke at it hard with a screw driver and listen for the sound of tin worm shouting back at ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

I help a mate in a garage and he will tell you without any doubt to buy a caddy, if u can manage maybe a slightly tatty one from late 01/02 Tdi would be a great buy, i had one new in 02 never gave any bother whatsoever till i sold it in 06, berlingos and partners, terribly underpowered 1.9 the 1.9 caddy straight diesel is much better, back axle trouble in them all at some stage especially if u have a trailer on it, diesel pump bother especially the electrics dealing with fuel supply, fuseboxs meltdown after time this is a very common fault, kubistar/kangoo...well just no!

So basically, they all have their own problems:(
    Dont know what to go for at all:(

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

i had caddy '02 1.9 tdi and it was absolut bulletproof.
    180 000 miles without service it required:
    new glow plug, new suspension at the back and started to take some engine oil (but was driving up to 15 000 miles a month - 12 and more hours a day).
    i would say with propper care it would go well beyound 200 000 miles.
    So if you would buy one with small mileage it will be a good choice.
    I'm not aware of any "common problem" as it never let me down.

Anyone know much about the likes of a Citroen Dispatch? The 3 seats would be very handy but if they're a ball of dung i wont bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

go for the caddy dusty
    i got one ,no complaints so far,will do what ya ask of it

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liptonvillag

I've a peugeot Partner 1.9 diesel. If your planning to be pulling any kind of trailers I would stay away. 2.0 Hdi would be pretty good for pulling and you would buy a good 05-06. They stop making the 2.0Hdi partner after 06. The 1.9 straight diesel partner is poor for over taking. In saying all this my mechanic reckons the straight peugeot diesels will go forever. Reason been is that their less complicated engines. When something goes in the HDI its usually something expensive. I've had no problems with my van. Very reliable, cheap and easy to service. Parts are relatively cheap. The 1.9 straight diesel is a simple reliable engine and feels solid to drive. Bushings tend to be the first thing that gives trouble but thats a relatively cheap replacement. It's minimalon electrics which is good as well. The Peugeot/ Citroen group make good diesel engines but electrics seem to be their weak spot especially with renault. I like the look of the caddy and hear their a good economical van. Disadvantage is your paying quiet a bit more for them. First problems with the caddy tend to be the fly wheel but overall I hear their good. The Partner/ Berlingo are the exact same van except for badges. Only slight peave I have with the Partner is the MPG. 35 MPG 40 on a good day. It's not a fuel gussler by any means but with the price of diesel these days I'd probally take go for a 1.6 Hdi (90 horsepower) model and take my chances with the more complicated diesel engine. A bit of TLC and I'm sure they would be fine. The 1.6 hdi partner are 30% more economical on diesel ( according to Peugeot dealership) and that extra zip is handy if having to overtake. Small bit of advice. If you can get your hands on an ex An Post Van you would be wiser. Their serviced to the tee and never pull trailers are large weights. there off loaded on average after 5 yrs and the clocks are never tampered with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Anyone know much about the likes of a Citroen Dispatch? The 3 seats would be very handy but if they're a ball of dung i wont bother.
    Had a 99 1.9 straight diesel dispatch, 240k on the clock, still able to do 130 kph at its ease fully loaded. I love em, but a lot loath em. Don't know anything about the 2.0HDI but I'm in the market for another Dispatch, shouldn't have sold the one I had cos I miss it. Great size of a van, and 3 seats a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ulleJ1

Hi,

Could anyone tell me what BHP are the 2011 An post vans?
    I know there 1.6 litre but there is two options - either 75BHP or 102BHP?

thanks

Hi,

Could anyone tell me what BHP are the 2011 An post caddy vans?
    I know there 1.6 litre but there is two options - either 75BHP or 102BHP?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭darg

Could be either as you already stated

Any know if the 2011 caddy post van is 75BHP or 102BHP?
    Surely there not both, there either one or the other,

I want to buy one at upcoming auction so want to know what BHP they are first.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

i would suggest to have look at wikipedia. i think SDI (non turbo) is less BHP and TDI are more (and then you have 2.9 tdi option) but i'm far from expert.

Advertisement