Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie question leveling

• 30-03-2011 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

What is the quickest way/class/area to reach 85 and actualy start having fun with the game, also best profession to make money through lower levels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

From level 1 ? or from level 80?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 shaymoose7

From 1. Sorry, should have specified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Tank class would be quickest then to level through instances, i advise a War or Paladin.

Questing is also a very quick way to level these days also, so if you prefer to go dps then just go with a dps class you like, que up for instances and then run around doing quests till your called to the instance.

The thing with queing for instances, dps tend to be waiting a long time to get called as they are not in high demand. Tanks on the other hand are the rarest of the job roles and you usually get into the instance instantly when queing. I have been leveling a Pala myself and have pretty muched tanked from level 1 to 66 and i have never been left waiting longer than a minute to join an instance.

With dps on my server the wait time can varie from 15-20mins to get into an instance.

Just go with what class you like the look of tbh, nothing worse than getting a char to max level and then wishing you rolled the other class and then shelving him and doing it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Quickest way is questing and running level appropriate dungeons when the quests are available for it. Instance spam is great if you have Bind on Account gear and play a tank / healer for instant queues but questing wins out in my opinion. Also with the guild perks if you can get into a guild with XP bonuses it should speed things along. If it's your first character just shout in local or trade and someone will invite you to a levelling guild.

If you take the questing route the easiest money making profession combo is skinning + mining/herbing. You skin when you kill things and track for appropriate nodes.

In terms of classes, if again you are new, I would recommend a hybrid class. All classes have a competent DPS spec for leveling so speed of leveling in that respect will be very close. Hybrids give you flexibility if you don't like a certain spec or playstyle at max level. It also allows you queue faster for dungeons, when you gain dual spec pick up a secondary spec of healing or tanking and have nearly instant queues. Just make sure you know how to play the new spec. The most flexible hybrid in terms of the roles they can fill is a Druid (tank, melee, caster, healer) then a Shaman (melee, caster, healer) or a Pally (tank, healer, DPS) then a Priest (2x heal, DPS).

Pick a class and role that you enjoy not one that is fast or easy to level with.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 eyfm5

i would suggest rolling a tank and leveling through dungeons, as has been said before. i leveled a warrior tank from 1-80 in about 10 days playing only 3/4 hours a night.

i used skinning/mining but i would change to mining/herb if i had to do it over again. sell all the mats u collect and ul be up a fair lot of cash by the time u hit 80. i dont think i even came close to hitting the 500 quest mark, it was all dungeons. did take time out to level my proffs but very little questing was done. that wud be my recommendation, also have done this with healers but you wont get into a dungeon as quick as tanks will. there is literally no wait time for tanks on my servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

if you dont have heirloom gear then questing will probably be faster then constantly doing instances, more so at the higher levels.

i found the dps q times are not that bad at low levels

when you get to the higher pvp brackets, 26+ 36+ ect q for battlegrounds, you get a lot of xp for winning

the variation between questing, instances and pvp stops it from getting to boring

you also get a lot of gold questing from outland onwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Dubhdara

Hunters also prove a quick way of levelling, if you go Beast Mastery and use your Pet to Tank, especially if you are planning to quest your way to level 85... I would think cata has probably helped with this, since Hunters now start with a Pet.

I think Demonology Warlocks may also be the same since they now get the Felguard at level 10.

But as has been said previously, the quickest and best way is to select a character you enjoy, rather than which "may" be the quickest, as it will be more fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

hunter by about 10 million miles, zero dmg ever taken, mend pet after each kill if needs be, no down time, cut through mobs like butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

If this is your first character, I'd say primarily level through questing (pretty fast anyways), and do a few instances for gear and xp to break up the questing. This way you can figure out the game at your own pace, and not at that of an heirloom-adorned tank alt effectivly solo-power-levelling his way though instances, dragging you behind wondering what the hell just happened (i've been that guy, one man pally army).

As for class - DPS classes are easist to start with, and a hybrid class is probably a safe bet, because then you can dps, tank or heal at endgame. Personally, I'd give +1 for hunter (pure dps) - we rock. With BM spec and a tenacity pet, you basically have a very good personal tank at your disposal. You'll be levelling with very little downtime.

Also, for making cash, if its your first character, take up mining and skinning. Just make sure you skin and mine as you go - if you find yourself in a zone where your skill isn't high enough to skin or mine, then go back to a lower zone and skill up first.

Either way, no need to rush to endgame - things are tough right now if you are not in a raiding guild, and you may find endgame slightly tedius. Theres only so many times one can run random groups in Halls of Origination before going mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 eyfm5

i would agree that there is no rush to end-game content as personally i dont find cata end game to be much fun compared to wotlk. the new zones are quite good and enjoyable but the 5mans and raids i dont like too much.

in terms of leveling, i would agree that u should roll what you find enjoyable but i personally do not like queing for 20/30mins as dps for a dungeon when i can get instant access as a tank. without heirlooms i would say that 2 instance runs and the odd quest inbetween u will gain a level. so a few hours playtime u shud level up quite nicely. once u hit 30 u get duel spec so if u get bored of tanking u can always go dps/healer as a change.

on one server i have 4 tanks, 2 warriors/2 palas, 1 each ally/horde. the lowest level being 48 which i started about a week ago. its my preferred way of leveling as i want to get enough JP to buy dps looms when then i will level as dps

• Advertisement
Advertisement