Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home well - no water

• 31-05-2020 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Yesterday, while not even 1/3 filling kids paddling pool for the first time, the water from the outside tap just stopped.
    No water in the cold taps indoors either. This happened at about 5pm yesterday and no water this morning either.
    Only 3 of us in the house, 2 adults and a child, and while - due to lockdown - we are using a bit more water than usual we are not excessive users at all, probably well below actually.
    I know it's been dry weather but the well in the house is only 4 or 5 years old so anyone any ideas of what else could be the issue? Haven't heard back from neighbours if they have any issues and few others have their own wells too.

The pump system in the shed is all switched on and there are no tripped switches either in the shed fuse box or in the house. All plugs are switched on.

Anyone any ideas of what to check?

Usually when you turn the water on in the house you cam hear the system clicking on but now nothing. Can't even wash any dishes or shower.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

It could be the pressure switch. They are the most common problem. Live wires under the cover so I'm reluctant to advise further on that. It would be a couple of minutes check for plumber or electrician.

You could dip the well to check you have water up to level of piping.

I would first have pressure switch tested.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭choicer

Wearb wrote: »
    It could be the pressure switch. They are the most common problem. Live wires under the cover so I'm reluctant to advise further on that. It would be a couple of minutes check for plumber or electrician.

You could dip the well to check you have water up to level of piping.

I would first have pressure switch tested.

Thanks. Reading more on it it seems that could be the issue but watching vids of how to replace it I don't think i could do it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Give your nearest (or one that has done work for you ) plumber or electrician a call and see if they'll call and test it for you. As I said, 2 minute job.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I'd be inclined to dip the well before calling a plumber...the plumber won't be able to do anything about a low water table so maybe just eliminate that possibility first? It might just save you the cost of a call-out.
    If it ISN'T that, you'll definitely need a plumber or somebody who installs wells.
    Mind me asking roughly what area you're in?

exaisle wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to dip the well before calling a plumber...the plumber won't be able to do anything about a low water table so maybe just eliminate that possibility first? It might just save you the cost of a call-out.
    If it ISN'T that, you'll definitely need a plumber or somebody who installs wells.
    Mind me asking roughly what area you're in?

Someone popping down this evening to check a few things to determine if we need an elecy or plumber. Well is fine and no neighbours reporting issues at all. Apparently, even during drought few years back there was no issue at all.
    More I read, more I think it is the pressure switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

choicer wrote: »
    Someone popping down this evening to check a few things to determine if we need an elecy or plumber. Well is fine and no neighbours reporting issues at all. Apparently, even during drought few years back there was no issue at all.
    More I read, more I think it is the pressure switch.

That's good to hear. I hope you get sorted out.

The pressure switch is odds-on favourite alright. Maybe let us know how you get on...

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Check for a tripped switch on the consumer unit in the main house.

Is the light in the pumphouse working?

Tapping a sticking pressure switch can be enough to activate it. Tapping now not denting the case.

Another possibility is that the thermal protection for the motor has activated. This will be some form of button on the electric side of controls in the pump house. Just push and release should reset it.

Deep of shallow well?

Easiest fix tonight might be to connect your garden hose onto a neighbour's with both taps on. This would at least fill your tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Some pressure switches have a reset leaver on them, that needs moving to reset.
    Google has a few ideas.

Turns out the power connector had a part gone and the pressure switch was also gone, both replaced.
    There was also no lever on the system under the cylinder to allow the water to be shut off so they installed one and found that the pressure from well is lower than it should be. Said they'd need to come back and take the pump from the well to be sure its still all OK. Good to have water back.

Advertisement