Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slidavan diy build - anyone built one?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

MattLV wrote: »
    That's actually a jig that the strip wood is clamped to while being glued together, so the beams should come out the same give or take.

The second one is getting un-clamped today so I'll do a comparison and let you know.

In other news....I've never owned so many clamps! :D

Sorry , didn't notice the jig. Whats it made from??

Jig is the blocks screwed to a panel?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MattLV

kadman wrote: »
    Jig is the blocks screwed to a panel?:)

yup. It's a piece of MDF cut to the width of the top section, with blocks screwed to it.

yup. It's a piece of MDF cut to the width of the top section, with blocks screwed to it.

Nice one, what adhesive are you using??

I see you are clamping one at a time. You could have clamped one in the former,
    then put a brace holding the two ends together, and then released it from the clamp.

And then clamp the next one, rinse repeat

• Advertisement

I'm using Everbuild 502 wood adhesive, but I think any waterproof PVA would do the trick.

I see what you mean about clamping the ends, but as I have to wait at least 24hrs for the glue to dry on each of the panels I've got time in hand to do the beams the slower way and guarantee good adhesion.

I'm using Everbuild 502 wood adhesive, but I think any waterproof PVA would do the trick.

I see what you mean about clamping the ends, but as I have to wait at least 24hrs for the glue to dry on each of the panels I've got time in hand to do the beams the slower way and guarantee good adhesion.

It wont make any difference to the setting time, its just that the beam is removed, and ends held together at the required distance with a cross tie,

Leaving your former free for the next beam,

Rather like an archery bow, the bow being the beam, and the string being the tie.
    In fact you could use a piece of string:)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

If you don't fancy waiting 24 hours you could consider a PU adhesive, sticks like **** to a blanket takes up gaps and sets in a fraction of the time. Not for visible joints though.

Lots of builders providers have the everbuild PU adhesive in the handy mastic tube format.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-5MINPU3-LumberIrwin-Polyure-Adhesive/dp/B00132EEME

20200314-150311.jpg

The last of the panels under construction.

Next is painting and mounting the floor panel to the trailer....then assembly begins.

20200319-180414.jpg

Painting of the underside begins...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Any particular type of paint Matt (pardon the pun)?

:D aha ...good one.
    I took advice from Woodenwidget who recommended several coats of a good exterior oil based paint.
    After some investigation I decided to use Fossa PrimeOut Oil-based Primer Sealer first, and will follow with Sikkens Rubbol XD Gloss.

Blimey, that paint takes a fair old while to dry at these temperatures. But now it is, it's time to think about attaching the floor panel to the trailer frame.

First applied some neoprene tape to the top of the frame to even out irregularities and provide a bit of isolation from vibrations.

20200328-160522.jpg

Then got the panel on, lined it up, and drilled / bolted / screwed it down to end up with a nice level surface

20200329-162229.jpg

Next step will be to start attaching the sides.

First test fit of the lower section panels

20200330-183424-COLLAGE.jpg

Looks like it's time to get some new wheels/tyres ordered

20200401-191300.jpg

I've just got to work out if theses are a 4" PCD or a 100mm PCD :confused:

Does anyone have an opinion on the virtues of radial or crossply tyres for a trailer like this?

I've just got to work out if theses are a 4" PCD or a 100mm PCD :confused:

I figured out these are classic Mini wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

A pair of mini lites would look great.

A pair of mini lites would look great.

You're not wrong Martin, but I went for standard steelies this time

20200403-121834.jpg

...and finally started the interior construction

20200414-134555.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

20200403-121834.jpg

20200414-134555.jpg

Did you keep going in this, love to see progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

20200403-121834.jpg

20200414-134555.jpg

Did you finish the build?

• Advertisement

wingnut wrote: »
    Did you finish the build?

No still not finished yet. Lost my enthusiasm over the summer, but back at it now.

The build journal is over here -> http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72556

Advertisement