Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Back box - removable clips??

• 31-03-2020 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi guys, doing a bit of painting and removed a few electrical faceplates. However a good few of the screw holes/clips are threaded and will no longer secure some of the faceplates tight to the wall. The clips are removable but I can't seem to find anywhere to buy them online. Anyone have any idea what they are called or where to buy them. See picture below. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

Picture attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Picture attached.

How old is the house? Hole could be for older imperial screws which are slightly larger than the 3.5mm metric ones that are standard now.

Few option squeeze the lug with pliers / vice grip this deforms the hole and done right can give enough purchase for the thread too much any you will need a 3.5mm tap to rethread .. Lugs aren't available separately but the boxes are only about a euro if you can find same brand/lug. Alternatively imperial screw might resolve it or 4mm tap and 4mm countersunk screws if the 4mm screw head will fit in the faceplate holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

3.5 by 40 (or 50 )pozi is the handiest

Just don't snag a wire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Drywall screws

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

Cheers lads.. it's a new build.. will try the pliers trick, if that doesn't work I'll buy new back boxes for lugs.. I'm surprised to hear that while they are removable, they don't sell the lugs separately..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Cheers lads.. it's a new build.. will try the pliers trick, if that doesn't work I'll buy new back boxes for lugs.. I'm surprised to hear that while they are removable, they don't sell the lugs separately..

They are not designed to be removable. One side is adjustable to help level the sockets as getting perfect level boxes can be tricky at times.

I've used varied methods to fix.
    Rawl plug into wall through back of box in line with lug after bending or removing old lug out of way, screw in long socket screws.
    Or take the lug off other box if it's the adjustable one that's damaged.
    Once or twice if it's the fixed lug, I cut one off a new box and fixed it behind the bad lug after drilling its hole out to 4mm. Epoxyed new lug behind damaged one and held in place with short screw till it set.

All depends on the scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

To be honest you would better off replacing it. Saves all the messing around. They are cheap as chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

Put a piece of old stranded cable including insulation in the lug hole. Bend it over twice so there’s a loop to prevent it being pushed in. (.75mm)
    Cut the socket screw sharply at an angle
    Screw in carefully and don’t over tighten.

alta stare wrote: »
    To be honest you would better off replacing it. Saves all the messing around. They are cheap as chips.

They are cheap, but are sometimes a nightmare to remove the old one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

507939.jpg

Is there room for these?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    They are cheap, but are sometimes a nightmare to remove the old one.

True but nothing but a bit fiddling around with the back box wouldn't solve along with some filler and the likes.

Another thing to use would be self tapping window screws.

True but nothing but a bit fiddling around with the back box wouldn't solve along with some filler and the likes.

Sometimes. Other times its buried behind kitchen tiles etc.

Wearb wrote: »

Is there room for these?
    Yes they look like they would work.

Sometimes. Other times its buried behind kitchen tiles etc.

But in this case it isnt so all is good.

But in this case it isnt so all is good.

Several posters giving 2 or 3 minute options vs digging the box out of the now painted wall.

Up to the op what they prefer of course.

Several posters giving 2 or 3 minute options vs digging the box out of the now painted wall.

Up to the op what they prefer of course.

If it were me id bite the bullet and chip away a small bit of the wall if it could not be coaxed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

If it were me id bite the bullet and chip away a small bit of the wall if it could not be coaxed out.

You can, but not many would

Advertisement