Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chat/general discussion thread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Evade wrote: »
    Watching Zero first is a bit like watching the Star Wars prequels first. I'd start with Unlimited Blade Works.

Or failing that the Saber route from 2006, though that has the usual Studio Deen quality and this meme.

peopledie.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Watching Zero first is a bit like watching the Star Wars prequels first. I'd start with Unlimited Blade Works.

Damnit! I'm invested in it now, on like episode 6 or something. Stupid internet being wrong again. Do we have a definite list, or just watch them in order of when they were released?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

It's not a major thing, a few characters will be recognisable before their reveal in the other series and I think Zero doesn't do as good of a job explaining the Grail War thing. Release order is probably the best. Also, Saber of Red is best saber.

The Konosuba movie is coming to Crunchyroll on the 25th. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

It's not a major thing, a few characters will be recognisable before their reveal in the other series and I think Zero doesn't do as good of a job explaining the Grail War thing. Release order is probably the best. Also, Saber of Red is best saber.

The Konosuba movie is coming to Crunchyroll on the 25th. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

The dub goes up next month and Anime Limited are releasing season 1 on Blu-ray in q3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Hi all, I am new to the whole anime scene, can any one recommend some good films/series I have watched spirited away and I really enjoyed it! appreciate it! Thanks..

• Advertisement

I'm going to assume you have Netflix since you watched Spirited Away.
    • Anohana
    • Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon
    • Akame ga Kill
    • Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Possibly all of the the Ghibli films on Netflix.
    The Cat Returns
    Porco Rosso
    Princess Mononoke etc
    Just search for Ghibli on Netflix and they will come up, cant go wrong with any of them really.

Seems the rest of Bleach has been green lit for an anime, as has the one shot spin off Burn the Witch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I'm going to assume you have Netflix since you watched Spirited Away.
    • Anohana
    • Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon
    • Akame ga Kill
    • Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Yes indeed! it was on Netflix!
    Possibly all of the the Ghibli films on Netflix.
    The Cat Returns
    Porco Rosso
    Princess Mononoke etc
    Just search for Ghibli on Netflix and they will come up, cant go wrong with any of them really.

Cheers folks, appreciate the suggestions! :)

job seeker wrote: »
    Yes indeed! it was on Netflix!

Cheers folks, appreciate the suggestions! :)
    I can't believe I forgot to recommend one of my favourite anime movies, a Silent Voice.

• Advertisement

Seems the rest of Bleach has been green lit for an anime, as has the one shot spin off Burn the Witch.

I thought Bleach was done! Pretty sure I Googled after finishing it last year and that's the impression I was left with. Excellent news! Really enjoyed Bleach, great characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It was done. The manga was still ongoing but they ended differently than what happened in the manga at that point.
    There were always rumours they would do more after the manga finished so good to see them finally do it.

They have a good few seasons if not all of Bleach on Netflix so now would be a good time to catchup for those who haven't seen it. Assuming this new season is a continuation and not a remake like Blade of the Immortal.

They have a good few seasons if not all of Bleach on Netflix so now would be a good time to catchup for those who haven't seen it. Assuming this new season is a continuation and not a remake like Blade of the Immortal.

It is a continuation covering volumes 55 - 72 if the manga until it was unceremoniously cancelled to to how bad it got at the end. Pacing should be better in anime format and they might be able to flesh out the ending as the entire plot was pretty much dropped with about 5 chapters remaining.

I wonder once it's all done will they do a Bleach Kai trimming out all the filler.

Recently got request from a friend who had the opinion of "You watch Japanese cartoons ya child" opinion on anime. Wanted me to recommend something to watch as he's bored. I know he wouldn't be into most of what I am, and he likes programs like The Wire, Sopranos, CSI, etc, so realistic kinda stuff. I recommended Dr. Stone and he loves it. He's nearly finished and looking for something similar. I'm at a loss as what I watch is mainly Isekai and Shounen, so looking for any recommendations which may fit the Dr. Stone realistic/based in reality kinda shows. Action too preferably.

91 Days, Baccano, Black Lagoon, GunGrave all very good realistic crime anime.
    Vampire Hunter D, Ghost in the Shell (second movie in particular), Wicked City, Demon City Shinjuku all good dark/adult anime movies.

It's really hard to think of anime with no unrealistic elements but he might like Death Note, Ghost in the Shell SAC, and Psycho Pass is he's into police procedurals. Shiro Bako and a Silent Voice are almost completely realistic but not genres you've listed. If he likes Marvel movies at all try My Hero Academia. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is always a good choice for anyone really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Recently got request from a friend who had the opinion of "You watch Japanese cartoons ya child" opinion on anime. Wanted me to recommend something to watch as he's bored. I know he wouldn't be into most of what I am, and he likes programs like The Wire, Sopranos, CSI, etc, so realistic kinda stuff. I recommended Dr. Stone and he loves it. He's nearly finished and looking for something similar. I'm at a loss as what I watch is mainly Isekai and Shounen, so looking for any recommendations which may fit the Dr. Stone realistic/based in reality kinda shows. Action too preferably.

If he has an interest in space; Planetes.
    Crime thriller; Monster. Terror in Resonance is fairly grounded too. Maybe Jokers Game or The Perfect Insider.

If he doesnt mind a bit of scifi; Psycho Pass as mentioned or Cowboy Bebop, which while set in space in the future, is fairly neutered on the futuristic elements. Steins;Gate is a bit more out there (time travel always is) but its quite a ride.

If he does like Baccano (which does feature some supernatural elements), theres always Durarara which is similarly themed but set in modern times.

If he does like Black Lagoon, theres also Jormungand.

Possibly Samurai Champloo, or Afro Samurai if he has a love of Samuel L Jackson. Also heard great things about Sword of the Stranger.

Other random suggestions based on recently watched stuff: Golden Kamuy, The Promised Neverland, Run with the Wind, Megalobox,

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I see Tower of God anime is coming out on the 1st of April.

Great news

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Shokugeki no Soma comes to mind and he may also enjoy Saga of Tanya the Evil since it's basically WW2 with some relatively light magic by comparison. Going a bit more "japanese cartoon" but plenty of action would of course be the Full metal series with the fantasy part really being the big mechs basically.

I never realised Funimation had a free ad supported version. I am less annoyed about t hem getting Kaguya Sama season 2 exclusivity now.

I never realised Funimation had a free ad supported version. I am less annoyed about t hem getting Kaguya Sama season 2 exclusivity now.

The dubs are premium only afaik, and you can't use the apps without premium either.

The dubs are premium only afaik, and you can't use the apps without premium either.
    The phone app works, the PS3/4 ones stall but I've read they're crap most of the time.

The phone app works, the PS3/4 ones stall but I've read they're crap most of the time.

The PS4 app won't log you in unless you have a ? in your password. It is not particularly good.

I'm logged in on both but it stalls when I try to watch anything. Funny thing is since I'm forced to watch it on my computer adblock means no ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Do you now if the ad version works with chromecast?

megaten wrote: »
    Do you now if the ad version works with chromecast?
    No idea. I don't use chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

No idea. I don't use chromecast.
    Tried it last night and it didn't seem to work without a subscription.

• Advertisement

Have to say anime streaming is becoming too fragmented, you need to be subscribed to 5 services, Crunchyroll, Funimation Now, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix and Hi-Dive, to get everything legally. Doesn't help when companies drop series like Interspecies Reviewers, if CR or Hi-Dive had that it wouldn't have been dropped.

Advertisement