Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sports bikes with handle bar risers

• 02-12-2020 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Hello, I am thinking about buying a new bike in the new year. I have always wanted a GSXR but I don't want a bike with a high lean angle.

I was just wondering has anyone here owned or ridden a sports bike that has had bar risers to give a more upright position? Or more so actually modified a bike with them. I have been looking a bit on forums and it seems there are three answers when people asking about it.

No it will ruin the handling buy a sports tourer.
    Yes, I have done it on X bike an it was great, seems good on an R1 especially, maybe because they are very low so easy to improve?
    X riser was not great, Y was much better.

Then it seems like any I can find for sale are both quite expensive and in America. Some seems to require cutting fairings and screen off while others do not and it seems if they go up more than an inch or so you need new brake lines and possibly other cables need extending.

So basically any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

If you haven't yet bought the bike , gsx- s1000 problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭dmigsy

If you haven't yet bought the bike , gsx- s1000 problem solved.

Or a GSX-S1000F. Considering one as my next bike.

20201003-161053.jpg

I have these on my storm CNC brand a uk company that sell kits for most popular models. You get a top yoke with risers , handlebars, brake and clutch hoses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Not wanting to be unhelpful but I'd be in camp 1, if you don't want sports bike ergos don't buy a sportsbike. This might be a heart over head scenario for you, but if you're already looking to find solutions for issues on a bike you haven't lived with yet then it's probably not the bike for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭rowanh

The GSXS-1000 is too expensive, I was looking at the 750 when I bought the MT07 I have now but it was also just a bit out of budget. I think I would get somewhere between four and five grand for my bike so would want to spend around that on a new one.
    zubair wrote: »
    Not wanting to be unhelpful but I'd be in camp 1, if you don't want sports bike ergos don't buy a sportsbike. This might be a heart over head scenario for you, but if you're already looking to find solutions for issues on a bike you haven't lived with yet then it's probably not the bike for you.

Yeah you might be right. I had a CBR600F for a few years before the MT07 I have now. I found it got very uncomfortable and it made me have little interest in being on on the bike for more than half an hour or so. When I got the MT07 I found it infinitely better in terms of position but always found it lacking bit in terms of power delivery. I don't specifically want a more powerful bike, I just liked the the way the CBR revved up. I think something like a fz6 or hornet might be a good option but they just seem to be lacking compared to a sports bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

rowanh wrote: »
    The GSXS-1000 is too expensive, I was looking at the 750 when I bought the MT07 I have now but it was also just a bit out of budget. I think I would get somewhere between four and five grand for my bike so would want to spend around that on a new one.

Yeah you might be right. I had a CBR600F for a few years before the MT07 I have now. I found it got very uncomfortable and it made me have little interest in being on on the bike for more than half an hour or so. When I got the MT07 I found it infinitely better in terms of position but always found it lacking bit in terms of power delivery. I don't specifically want a more powerful bike, I just liked the the way the CBR revved up. I think something like a fz6 or hornet might be a good option but they just seem to be lacking compared to a sports bike.

I have the MT09 tracer, you should consider it if you feel you've outgrown the 07. It's proper quick and power is where you need it, low and mid range. Way more comfortable than any sportsbike.

Cb1000r

20201003-161053.jpg

I have these on my storm CNC brand a uk company that sell kits for most popular models. You get a top yoke with risers , handlebars, brake and clutch hoses.

This looks potentially like the best thing I have seen so far, I emailed the company asking what is involved in an install. From the little I can see on GSXR forums it seems like people have problems with raising the bars on gsxr600s so might not be a good bike for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I owned a CBR600F for a few years, wouldn't describe its riding position as at all sporty - no weight on the wrists.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hitachi man

I've a K5 GSXR 1000 fitted with straight bars. I highly recommend it. My kit is a german made kit and requires no cutting of the fairings. The kit included longer brake lines and clutch cable. If a sports bike with straight bars is what you want,then go for it

• Advertisement

I owned a CBR600F for a few years, wouldn't describe its riding position as at all sporty - no weight on the wrists.

6jvre5q.png

Honda - 7º of sporty separation (actually 8)

I've a K5 GSXR 1000 fitted with straight bars. I highly recommend it. My kit is a german made kit and requires no cutting of the fairings. The kit included longer brake lines and clutch cable. If a sports bike with straight bars is what you want,then go for it

Did you install it/have it installed or buy the bike with it? How is it with clearance on the fairing? It seems like raised the clip ons you can get cause problems with clearance though maybe straight bars work better with being further back.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

If you find a cbr600f painful to tide no matter what you get you won't enjoy it. Its probably the least aggressive sports bike positioning.
    Your idea that a fazer won't have get up and go is misplaced they are a detuned R engine. Quick throw throttle, map and bobs your uncle, comfortable bike that can move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

If your heart is set on the Suzuki then you should just give it a go. Worst comes to worst sell it on you shouldn't take too much of a hit.

I would suggest trying the Tracer 900 like Zubair said, it was over a year ago since I had a go on one but f me that bike is amazing. Would probably need to stretch the budget by another 1K which would get you one delivered and VRT'd from the UK. Class bike I want my cousin to buy one so I can ride it :pac:

Did you install it/have it installed or buy the bike with it? How is it with clearance on the fairing? It seems like raised the clip ons you can get cause problems with clearance though maybe straight bars work better with being further back.

I installed it myself. The kit included little spacers that push the fairings forward a little,this creates enough clearance to allow the handle bars to achieve full lock.its a neat kit and transformed the bike for touring use and long journeys .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

6jvre5q.png

Honda - 7º of sporty separation (actually 8)

How long your arms and legs are will make a massive difference to how cramped or "sporty" a particular bike feels.

I hate the "spreadeagled into the wind" stance myself. One of the reasons I chose an SV1000 over a DL1000 as my current bike.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Your idea that a fazer won't have get up and go is misplaced they are a detuned R engine. Quick throw throttle, map and bobs your uncle, comfortable bike that can move.

Maybe, but you'd have to upgrade the budget suspension before you could consider it sporty (and probably jack up the rear or drop the forks to quicken the steering)

Life ain't always empty.

I installed it myself. The kit included little spacers that push the fairings forward a little,this creates enough clearance to allow the handle bars to achieve full lock.its a neat kit and transformed the bike for touring use and long journeys .

Would you have a link to the site or the brand name?

ABM.. I'll look up a link and post it. When I have 5 posts I'll put up a pic too

• Advertisement

I can't post links or pics 😂. ABM is the kit and it's sold by Bikermart co uk

I can't post links or pics ��. ABM is the kit and it's sold by Bikermart co uk

Thanks looks good, bit on the pricy side at over 400 euro all in though the best one I have seen so far is the CNC Topyokes kit which is missing quite a few things that is in that one.

How difficult was it to install? Changing the clutch cable sounds quite involved.

Thanks looks good, bit on the pricy side at over 400 euro all in though the best one I have seen so far is the CNC Topyokes kit which is missing quite a few things that is in that one.

How difficult was it to install? Changing the clutch cable sounds quite involved.

Changing the clutch cable is very straight forward,as is changing the brake lines. It's not difficult to fit the kit,but it is fiddly and more time consuming than you would expect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

First gen Fazer 1000 if you can find a good one. Had one for 7 years, commuted, toured, track days and was absolutely bullet proof. Superior to the 2nd gen in almost every way also.

Always regret selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

ElJeffe wrote: »
    First gen Fazer 1000 if you can find a good one. Had one for 7 years, commuted, toured, track days and was absolutely bullet proof. Superior to the 2nd gen in almost every way also.

Always regret selling it.

I've not owned but worked on and had spins and I'd agree with that. Ivans kit and suspension rework has you a bike that's seriously capable and still all-day able. That's usually something I spend thousands on trying to achieve on bikes which need more work to get there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

H_Lime wrote: »
    I've not owned but worked on and had spins and I'd agree with that. Ivans kit and suspension rework has you a bike that's seriously capable and still all-day able. That's usually something I spend thousands on trying to achieve on bikes which need more work to get there.

My 2003 had the Ivan's, full Akra and K&N. It was basically a comfortable all day R1. In the years 7 years and 67k miles i had the bike it only needed service parts and tyres nothing went wrong bar a faulty bar end that worked it self out and decided to leave the party on the M50 one morning. I stuck a nitron rear shock and hyperpro fork internals in at 44k miles and became a track day god in my own mind. God i miss it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

ElJeffe wrote: »
    My 2003 had the Ivan's, full Akra and K&N. It was basically a comfortable all day R1. In the years 7 years and 67k miles i had the bike it only needed service parts and tyres nothing went wrong bar a faulty bar end that worked it self out and decided to leave the party on the M50 one morning. I stuck a nitron rear shock and hyperpro fork internals in at 44k miles and became a track day god in my own mind. God i miss it :(
    Great mods there. Really rate nitron in value for money myself, works great on the bbird, likewise h/Pro.
    Counts as one of a few bikes I got on and was immediately comfy and could ride hard from the off.

Advertisement