Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭CoBo55

shipposter wrote: »
    Starts off by berating "people who have no idea about how internet works"

Proceeds to talk through his hole demonstrating how little he knows about how the internet works.

Exactly:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

bk wrote: »
    Cool, I'm curios, would you mind doing ping to boards.ie and google.ie and posting the results ?

I'm curious is there any difference from their HFC network?

Sounds like they are using RFoG (Radio Frequency over Glass) like they are doing in the UK:
    https://www.technological.co.uk/broadband-technologies-cable/

It does make sense, it allows them to use network architecture, rather then two different ones and allows them to deliver their standard cable TV service (rather then an IPTV one which would be required over ethernet).

Because those are the long term, ideal speeds, that can only be reached if you make a whole bunch of major changes. Like get rid of most of the existing TV channels and move to some sort of IPTV platform, upgrade lots of backend equipment and cabling, you'd need an even more powerful/expensive CPE, etc.

It allows for a future upgrade path, but all that cost isn't justified given demand at the moment.

Having said that I do think they should stretch to 100Mb/s upload on this product. I suspect they need to make some more changes to the network to make that happen.
    Ping to google is around 15-20ms. Don’t think its significantly different.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pings on Virgin do seem quite a bit higher than they used to back in the UPC days. I remember when UPC was well ahead of DSL/VDSL especially for UK pings, now it seems Eir and other operators give better pings not just on FTTH but on vdsl as well. Has something changed with Virgin in terms of latency, I remember their UK pings would be around 12 to 18 but now they are upwards of 20 in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭degsie

gibgodsman wrote: »
    I love all the posts from people who have no idea about how internet works, 1GB is absolutely great for most people, good luck streaming 4K easily with a 100Mb connection.

You want to jump on the game streaming bandwagon with Stadia or Xbox Cloud Gaming? That 250Mb will struggle BAD.

If your using your internet to its fullest, steaming in 4K, downloading games, watching on multiple devices, 1GB is a huge benefit, those suggesting 100Mb on 40+ devices is a good idea, id love to see how bad your kids ping is in anything they play online

Ahem, for someone who knows EVERYTHING internet, 1GB=8Gb/s, this is not what VM are offering ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭brimur69

Advertised Speed* Expected Speed Range** Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed
    1140 Mbps. 1124 - 1145 Mbps 570 Mbps

Saw this on the VM site and was curious if the new Hub has a 2.5Gbps WAN/LAN ports? Otherwise you are never getting anywhere near 1Gb and closer to 850Mb. So if you are in a 500/50 package then going up to 850/50 send like a waste to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I am getting Vodafone Gigabit broadband installed in Kilcock on Monday. Is this big news? I thought this was around a while

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

brimur69 wrote: »
    Saw this on the VM site and was curious if the new Hub has a 2.5Gbps WAN/LAN ports?
    The intel chipset that it uses mentions 2.5Gb Ethernet... but cant find official specs, even in the Uk...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I was onto VM today and they are sending me out the New Hub (Media Hub v2). So will see what it's like. I'll need to set a baseline and do tests over the weekend with the current hub.

When you get it please post the model number supplied.

Gonzo wrote: »
    pings on Virgin do seem quite a bit higher than they used to back in the UPC days. I remember when UPC was well ahead of DSL/VDSL especially for UK pings, now it seems Eir and other operators give better pings not just on FTTH but on vdsl as well. Has something changed with Virgin in terms of latency, I remember their UK pings would be around 12 to 18 but now they are upwards of 20 in many cases.

Pinging 35.176.0.252 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 35.176.0.252: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=239
    Reply from 35.176.0.252: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=239
    Reply from 35.176.0.252: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=239

^ AWS in London

Pinging 54.171.63.252 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 54.171.63.252: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=237
    Reply from 54.171.63.252: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=237

^ AWS in Dublin

Really not unreasonable. 240Mb DOCSIS.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I tried getting a new modem out of them, also a resounding no. Unless I wanted to get onto sales about a new package. I'm with VM til january at least, then I'll move back to Siro.

I can get it from Pure, Vodafone, or Sky in my area.

E2268eo.png

Virgin's pricing is gone crazy expensive over the years.

Paying half price to virgin now, and that's costing me about 35 euro I think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If working at home it's definitely useful.

What kinda work do you do that makes the increase useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I see that, along with the rollout of the 1Gb service, the 500Mbs has become the middle tier and the 360Mbs has disappeared.

I'm on the 360Mbs now. Is this one of those things where I can expect an automatic upgrade to 500Mbs? Or will I have to wait for my contract to be up?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

I see that, along with the rollout of the 1Gb service, the 500Mbs has become the middle tier and the 360Mbs has disappeared.

I'm on the 360Mbs now. Is this one of those things where I can expect an automatic upgrade to 500Mbs? Or will I have to wait for my contract to be up?

Virgin have done away with the automatic upgrades. with upc i was getting free upgrades from 30, 60, 120, 240 etc but since its rename to virgin I am still at 240 and I refuse to pay for the higher tiers and i did not want the hub3 router with the puma 6 chipset anyway. To be honest i am tempted to dump the whole lot for eir ftth but with a different provider. I was holding out for siro but its been on the "planned" phase for ages here and out of a 9months 1/2 price with virgin now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ED E wrote: »
    Pinging 35.176.0.252 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 35.176.0.252: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=239
    Reply from 35.176.0.252: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=239

^ AWS in London

Pinging 54.171.63.252 with 32 bytes of data:

^ AWS in Dublin

Really not unreasonable. 240Mb DOCSIS.

That's grand probably for 90% of customers but for first person shooter online gamers the ping times on FTTH is significantly better. With Eir the Irish server returns 2ms and the UK one 13ms.

I still remember the NTL/UPC days better pings, UK pings back then would be around 16 or 17. Either Virgin have changed the routing or done something else to increase the ping time.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tempora

The key it appears is to talk to sales, not technical support.

We rang today and got an upgrade to the 500Mbps package and the sales guy was happy to include the new DOCSIS 3.1 modem with that. He seemed a little confused by which modem was which and stuff but confirmed that it was a "Hitron DOCSIS 3.1" modem and that it was black and being used for the Gigabit service. They don't appear to be calling it the SuperHub 4 here in Ireland.

Will be delivered by Nightline and I'll report back with how the setup process goes. I imagine I'll have to ring back and ask for things like disabling IPv6 tunneling to get bridge mode, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Tempora wrote: »
    The key it appears is to talk to sales, not technical support.

We rang today and got an upgrade to the 500Mbps package and the sales guy was happy to include the new DOCSIS 3.1 modem with that. He seemed a little confused by which modem was which and stuff but confirmed that it was a "Hitron DOCSIS 3.1" modem and that it was black and being used for the Gigabit service. They don't appear to be calling it the SuperHub 4 here in Ireland.

Will be delivered by Nightline and I'll report back with how the setup process goes. I imagine I'll have to ring back and ask for things like disabling IPv6 tunneling to get bridge mode, etc.

Are you on a new contract?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Are you on a new contract?

Yes 12 months. Highly doubt I'll be seeing SIRO/OpenEir running to my house within the next year so no reason not to sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Tempora wrote: »
    Yes 12 months. Highly doubt I'll be seeing SIRO/OpenEir running to my house within the next year so no reason not to sign.

Do you mind me asking how much are you going to pay for the 500mb broadband? I'm thinking of upgrading to 500mb as well.

Do you mind me asking how much are you going to pay for the 500mb broadband? I'm thinking of upgrading to 500mb as well.
    Will check what I agreed to and post later. We also do TV/home phone so that's gonna push the price up obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Does the new modem allow you to edit the DNS?

• Advertisement

That's grand probably for 90% of customers but for first person shooter online gamers the ping times on FTTH is significantly better. With Eir the Irish server returns 2ms and the UK one 13ms.

I still remember the NTL/UPC days better pings, UK pings back then would be around 16 or 17. Either Virgin have changed the routing or done something else to increase the ping time.

If you think you're losing because of 10ms delta Im afraid Ive news for you, you're just ****.

Most gamers are still on 60hz panels (yes, I know not all), thats a 17ms frame time before input lag on the panel or any other delays in the pipeline.

Lag is a handy excuse, I use it too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

When you get it please post the model number supplied.

Ill take a few pics and run down on the GUI, if there are many if any changes when I get the modem tomorrow.

If you think you're losing because of 10ms delta Im afraid Ive news for you, you're just ****.

Most gamers are still on 60hz panels (yes, I know not all), thats a 17ms frame time before input lag on the panel or any other delays in the pipeline.

Lag is a handy excuse, I use it too :D

Unfortunately I am now well past the age where a ping of 10 compared to 30 could make a difference with the right setup. Back in the day when I was in my twenties playing Counterstrike or Quake 2 I would've given anything to have the pings we enjoy today. I originally got ISDN to get around the high ping and that did a great job until Quake 3 came along which really required the extra bandwidth from a 512k ADSL connection to get rid of the lag spikes on busy servers associated with dial up in that game. Dial Up Dempsey of course crushed any hopes or dreams of broadband back then and it wasn't until 2002 that ADSL became a reality and by then console online gaming was starting to become the bigger scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭micks_address

If you are on 500mb do you have to pay more for 1tb? Is it available in all places that have 500mb?

If you are on 500mb do you have to pay more for 1tb? Is it available in all places that have 500mb?

yep 1000 costs more than 500. The only reason for going for 1000 is double the upload. Most people on 1000 get between 650 and 800 so that extra download won't make any difference over 500. If you can get FTTH you can get all speeds between 150 and 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭micks_address

yep 1000 costs more than 500. The only reason for going for 1000 is double the upload. Most people on 1000 get between 650 and 800 so that extra download won't make any difference over 500. If you can get FTTH you can get all speeds between 150 and 1000.

No point so. Getting 490mb on speed tests so doubt is notice a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

Unfortunately I am now well past the age where a ping of 10 compared to 30 could make a difference with the right setup. Back in the day when I was in my twenties playing Counterstrike or Quake 2 I would've given anything to have the pings we enjoy today. I originally got ISDN to get around the high ping and that did a great job until Quake 3 came along which really required the extra bandwidth from a 512k ADSL connection to get rid of the lag spikes on busy servers associated with dial up in that game. Dial Up Dempsey of course crushed any hopes or dreams of broadband back then and it wasn't until 2002 that ADSL became a reality and by then console online gaming was starting to become the bigger scene.

Also got ISDN back then and crushed it on the first UT and Quake. I'm also too old to notice any more. I've been wondering if buying a 4k 60hz monitor was a bad idea against a higher refresh rate monitor at 1440p or similar. I doubt I'd notice the difference in refresh but the high resolution definitely helps with seeing things moving in the distance. My monitor does have a 1ms response and vsync so not all bad.

Yeah, ping times aren't remotely important to me anymore. Anything 90ms or less is decent, I was on 14ms on Halo MCC on pc last night. Mental to think that's where we're at with ping times.

circadian wrote: »
    Yeah, ping times aren't remotely important to me anymore. Anything 90ms or less is decent, I was on 14ms on Halo MCC on pc last night. Mental to think that's where we're at with ping times.

I thought there was no way to show it on MCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I'm also on 360 + TV at 102 per month.

It would be cheaper for me to pick the 500 package by a few euro a month.

However, I regularly run speed tests at home, I have Cat 5e and a gigabit switch, and I've regularly seen 480+ results and a few occasions over 900 and 1Gbps.

I think in my case at least I have been bumped to 500.

Trying to work out the best option at the moment. 102 is steep, but even the 500 broadband on its own doesn't offer much saving, I intend to use IPTV as my only TV solution but for 15 odd a month it's nice to have the features of the horizon box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Does VM still use dslite? If I upgrade from my current pack (I'm on a very old 120meg line that I never bothered upgrading yet).
    I've never been on dslite, its a really old account that predates their usage of it) will I end up on dslite by default?

I know the boards VM forum is gone but is it still the case if you need an ip4 to bridge and to connect to work VPNs you just contact support and they move you onto one?

Advertisement