Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vanmoof bike vendors and/or similar bike vendors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Must be shortages with particular models if I managed to get my X3 faster than expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 johndbee66

I put ordering one on hold due to trustpilot reviews. Seems they cant deal with all the orders/ Quality control also seems to be a problem at the moment. Im waiting on a babymaker that i bought in may 2019 with october delivery. Wont be here now before June 2020. Sucks big time

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭conor_mc

I decided to cancel my order today after that news earlier re further delivery delays. Heart wanted this bike to work out, but head said it’s time to call it quits and look elsewhere. Disappointing.

To be fair to them, it’s an awful time for shipping. That ban at the end of December totally ****ed things up, then Brexit has added a bunch of nonsense. Add in Covid restrictions and it’s a wonder anything is shipping at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Got the shipping email earlier, excitement levels raised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bilasy

mailforkev wrote: »
    Got the shipping email earlier, excitement levels raised.

Congratulations! When did you submit the order?
    Thanks

bilasy wrote: »
    Congratulations! When did you submit the order?
    Thanks

End of September. So it’s been a bit of a wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dunder2000

Does anyone know of a e-bike repair company in Dublin who will carry out Van Moof repairs? So far I haven't found anyone willing to do the simplest task.
    Got my S3 bike early November 2020. After about 1 week the sound stopped working - no horn/bell. About 2 weeks after that the boost button started acting up - either always on or always off. Van Moof were helpful, I have to say, but they can only do so much over the phone. Ended up having a new cartridge couriered out to me from Amsterdam, and a new boost button (The boost button was sent with soldering instructions!). Changed the cartridge successfully but I'm not about to learn to solder, so asked around Dublin City, but everyone I approached (Greenaer, Donnybrook Bikes) all said they wouldn't touch it. So I've asked Van Moof to take the bike back, as I really cant be in a situation where every time there's a problem I have to ship the bike to Amsterdam!

So Id love to know if any other Van Mood users have found anyone who can fix their bikes?

And to warn those about to buy I hope yours is less glitchy than mine.

That said, the bike, when it works, is absolutely the best.

Dunder2000 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a e-bike repair company in Dublin who will carry out Van Moof repairs? So far I haven't found anyone willing to do the simplest task.
    Got my S3 bike early November 2020. After about 1 week the sound stopped working - no horn/bell. About 2 weeks after that the boost button started acting up - either always on or always off. Van Moof were helpful, I have to say, but they can only do so much over the phone. Ended up having a new cartridge couriered out to me from Amsterdam, and a new boost button (The boost button was sent with soldering instructions!). Changed the cartridge successfully but I'm not about to learn to solder, so asked around Dublin City, but everyone I approached (Greenaer, Donnybrook Bikes) all said they wouldn't touch it. So I've asked Van Moof to take the bike back, as I really cant be in a situation where every time there's a problem I have to ship the bike to Amsterdam!

So Id love to know if any other Van Mood users have found anyone who can fix their bikes?

And to warn those about to buy I hope yours is less glitchy than mine.

That said, the bike, when it works, is absolutely the best.

Disappointing to hear this, surely VanMoof could have set up a repair agent in Dublin at this stage, someone they could recommend to Irish customers.

The fear of having to ship parts back and forth to Amsterdam in the current difficulties is the main reason I cancelled my order.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 johndbee66

I think the Dutch bycyle shop in lucan will repair vanmoof bikes. Worth a shot. Also ring cork bycyle solutions. Let me know how you get on.

• Advertisement

It's maybe not what you want to hear, but soldering is pretty easy, and a soldering kit is pretty cheap, and useful for a bunch of DIY tasks around the house!

johndbee66 wrote: »
    I think the Dutch bycyle shop in lucan will repair vanmoof bikes. Worth a shot. Also ring cork bycyle solutions. Let me know how you get on.

Called the Dutchbike shop in Lucan - and yes, they will carry out repairs. Thanks a million for putting me onto them.

Dunder2000 wrote: »
    Called the Dutchbike shop in Lucan - and yes, they will carry out repairs. Thanks a million for putting me onto them.

This is good news for sure!

Hopefully they could become part of that Bike Doctor Network eventually

Got mine yesterday (finally). I haven’t done much of a cycle yet but it's all assembled and working. Need to make a minor adjustment to the front brake, think one pad is slightly rubbing, but everything else seems good.

FC9-D20-D6-8-DEA-4-F52-AEF1-DBBE821-F000-A.jpg

Got mine yesterday (finally). I haven’t done much of a cycle yet but it's all assembled and working. Need to make a minor adjustment to the front brake, think one pad is slightly rubbing, but everything else seems good.

FC9-D20-D6-8-DEA-4-F52-AEF1-DBBE821-F000-A.jpg

Well wear!!! Do please let us know how it’s going over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Square Hammer

Ordered a Van Moof S3 in October.I received it on 1 December.I really like the bike but it clearly has a few issues that are worth noting if you want to buy one. The assembly is easy except the step where you have to cover the power connector on the front axle. I can do DIY and this took me hours as it was so fiddly and the parts dont fit well or screw in easily.The online video of this step is massively misleading.I also had to reset it after the first ride but since then it rides fantastically. The automatic gearing is great. It is not 100% smooth but no gearing is. I customised the gear shifts in the app so that it only went to gear 4 if got over 28 and made sure it shifted down to 3 at 24.Gear 4 is hard going as the bike is pretty hefty. I also bought a front carrier for the bike. The adapter cable connecting the front light to the front of the carrier broke when I installed using very little force. When I tried to install the front light back without the carrier it wouldnt work. Now I have a carrier and no front light. The electric connectors inside the bike looked pretty flimsy. Contacts on light cable clearly failed from being disconnected once.Emailed VanMoof on this and no reply after 25 days.Also nobody will fix this in Ireland and I've no intention of learning how to solder. In terms of riding the bike it really is great and the kicklock etc work really well.The alarm would put most people off. I still use a normal lock and would never leave somewhere dodgy for very long. While the lock would stop somebody riding it Dutch people may not realise the joy some people here could experience chucking such a nice looking bike in a canal. The app is fine. The bike works fine for now but with no front light. I dont think however that the bike will last and if the electronics on it fail would just be a dublin bike with an anvil attached.I cycled up Howth head on it without breaking a sweat which was very enjoyable. The bike is also really easy to manouver and it feels very well balanced. Another downside is being stuck with a genuinely massive box in my attic as if I need to send it back Netherlands have to use the box they gave me.

I threw out the box, no way I was keeping that.

Also, did nobody else here learn to solder in secondary school? It’s a piece of piss!

Gave mine a 45 min spin earlier, all working perfectly now.
    I took off the front brake assembly this morning as if I was going to be changing the pads. Reattached, pumped the brakes a few times and the slight rubbing that was there was gone, all fairly painless.
    Next step will probably be to customise the gear shifting points to best suit my locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bilasy

End of September. So it’s been a bit of a wait.
    Did you decide which lock you are getting for the bike ? or you already have one?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

bilasy wrote: »
    Did you decide which lock you are getting for the bike ? or you already have one?
    Thanks

Folding lock is tidiest solution. I didn’t get it from them but I think VM actually sell this one themselves too - ABUS Bordo Granit X Plus 6500.

Folding lock is tidiest solution. I didn’t get it from them but I think VM actually sell this one themselves too - ABUS Bordo Granit X Plus 6500.

For what it’s worth, before I cancelled my VM, I was considering using it for cycling to work which would mean locking it in a public space at Dublin Airport. I plumped for a granit x-plus 540 as a better lock for that high-risk situation, but I’d probably have left it in situ and added a 6500 to carry on the bike. Heard the 540 bracket didn’t fit on a VM frame very well. From reading around, I would have been nervous about the 6500 as a sole means of securing the bike in that situation, but would be cool with it for running into a supermarket, etc.

The problem with locks is that there’s good and bad reviews somewhere of every one, so it’s always just a case of buying a reasonably expensive one and living in hope.
    Besides, a proper crim will manage to take your bike if they really want it.
    My work, if I ever go back to the office, has secure bike parking.

The problem with locks is that there’s good and bad reviews somewhere of every one, so it’s always just a case of buying a reasonably expensive one and living in hope.
    Besides, a proper crim will manage to take your bike if they really want it.
    My work, if I ever go back to the office, has secure bike parking.

You’re right of course, you’re only ever trying to move a bike thief along to an easier option unfortunately. If I had secure parking at work, I’d go with the bordo 6500 too.

Update - Dutch Bike company wont solder the boost button.... Cant find anyone to do it.

I know people are saying just do it yourself, and I probably will, its more the point that I dropped 2k on a new bike that I now have to solder repair within 2 months of buying!

I mean, it's something that an electrician might do for you, if you know one — but the costs might be disproportionate.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I mean, it's something that an electrician might do for you, if you know one — but the costs might be disproportionate.

If you had to pay someone to fix this, I’d be making a case to VM to refund this cost on production of an invoice before I spent a cent. It’s crazy to expect a customer to solder a repair on your behalf! At the very least, it might wake them up to partnering with a repair shop here in Ireland.

Yes they've said they'd cover cost to repair. All the more reason for me not to go buying a soldering iron.

To be honest, if Id known at the beginning how hard it is to get repairs done, the minute Id had any glitches Id have boxed it up and sent it back within the first 14 days and asked for a replacement.

Well they're already planning on doing such a thing in various countries, and given the popup here I'd imagine Ireland is one of them, but I'm cutting them some slack at the minute given the state of the world. It's frustrating, I'm still waiting for my seat post bolt for a month now and haven't been able to use my new X3, but it's just a rough, rough time to try to implement something like the Bike Doctor Network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You cant bodge some kind of bolt in there?

Advertisement