Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing careers - property management

• 12-06-2020 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

So I have a BSc honours degree in architectural technology. I’m not happy in my career and am considering a change.

I would like to go into a property management role or similar in order to gain experience to where I can eventually start my own portfolio and manage my own properties.

Can anyone point me in the fastest route to gain employment in this sector. I’d like to avoid going back to a full time 4 year course if possible.

Any help Or insight into the field is much appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I think for any property roles that come up, it seems you have to have your PRSA license

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

jordanfaf wrote: »
    So I have a BSc honours degree in architectural technology. I’m not happy in my career and am considering a change.

I would like to go into a property management role or similar in order to gain experience to where I can eventually start my own portfolio and manage my own properties.

Can anyone point me in the fastest route to gain employment in this sector. I’d like to avoid going back to a full time 4 year course if possible.

Any help Or insight into the field is much appreciated.

Your best bet is to consider doing a Masters in Real Estate, make sure it is either SCSI or RICS accredited. There are several study mode options in Ireland and the UK, full time, part time and distance learning. This is a prerequisite careers in commercial real estate, valuation, asset management etc.

What’s working life like in most of the real estate firms in Dublin anyway. ?

More of a work life balance than their construction counterparts? Ie do you do your 9-5 or whatever and bring nothing home with you.:.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    What’s working life like in most of the real estate firms in Dublin anyway. ?

More of a work life balance than their construction counterparts? Ie do you do your 9-5 or whatever and bring nothing home with you.:.

That really depends on the firm and what you want to get out of it.
    Officially the hours are standard which to my knowledge you are not really expected to do more unless you want to climb the ladder quicker or earn more money.

Construction in my experience is less so a professional environment and it is riddled with last minute changes and deadlines moving all over the place which means more pressure which rolls downhill and more chance of your work encroaching upon your personal life.

Then there's the economy to think about, Construction and every profession dependent upon it is subject to economic cycles, you are flat out and make a fortune when there's a lot of construction activity but as soon as there's a downturn all of the construction professions are first for the chop.

Real Estate will always need to be managed, valued, sold or bought even during a recession and the salaries are comparable to those in the construction industry, some areas of Real Estate can pay a bit better.

I would say Commercial Real Estate is largely a 9 to 5 profession and in a different league to residential surveying which can be a nightmare.
    Commercial property surveying also pays significantly better than residential surveying.

Would someone with a QS degree and commercial experience possibly be an attractive asset to a company if they were to crossover? Or not really...

Would obv need a MSc in real estate behind me first

• Advertisement

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Would someone with a QS degree and commercial experience possibly be an attractive asset to a company if they were to crossover? Or not really...

Would obv need a MSc in real estate behind me first

I'd say your experience would definitely give you an advantage and would set you apart from most candidates.

You might be entitled to some module exemptions for the masters. TUD run a full time and part time Msc in Real Estate. There are also a couple of UK based Universities that run distance learning part time masters which might suit you better if you want to continue to work.

Northumbria University have rolling admissions from October, January and May of each year I think.

Edit: Northumbria offer a distance learning M.Sc and the first 3 modules are the same for the QS, Real Estate or Building surveyin programmes.

Advertisement