Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Mattress to buy

• 08-03-2020 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was going through harvey norman to buy a mattress for double bed, and I can't figure out which one to buy, my budget is 1k max and I'd like to get a good one I work 12hours shift and I want to get a proper sleep during work days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭tedimc

The simple rule in my eyes - the most expensive one you can afford!!

For our own bed we bought a King Coil/Koil? Can't remember the exact price, but it was a super king. I'm not sold on it to be honest, but they are a decent mattress. It has some ICA accreditation and is supposed to be beneficial for people with bad backs.

We also bought two mattresses in EZLiving. They may be their own brand - but they were call 'Aloe Vera'. They are a very comfortable mattress and have them in the kids rooms. Were around 300 each I believe, but they seem to be more comfortable than out King Coil one.

All three are sprung mattresses with a memory foam topper for what its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

You can get really lovely ones in IKEA for 500 odd. You can also read reviews of the different mattresses they sell unlike the stuff on offer in Harvey Norman, Mattress Mick etc. They come with great guarantees too.

Worth a look anyway.

You can get really lovely ones in IKEA for 500 odd. You can also read reviews of the different mattresses they sell unlike the stuff on offer in Harvey Norman, Mattress Mick etc. They come with great guarantees too.

Worth a look anyway.

I’ve never got an ikea mattress, but to be fair - any of the stuff I have bought from ikea that cost more than €5 was always great value. It wouldn’t surprise me that there mattresses are equivalent to other lines much more expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

I bought a Sealy one recently, Kingsize with god knows how many pocketsprings

Definitely buy the best you can afford

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

What about memory foam? Are pocket sprung better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

King Koil hospitality mattress. It's the equivalent of the mattresses used in upmarket hotels. Think I paid roughly 1k for mine and I've never looked back

Truckermal wrote: »
    What about memory foam? Are pocket sprung better?

Apparently - heat distribution can be an issue with memory foam, as can it retaining shape over time. I think a lot of pocket sprung now come with a think layer of memory foam on top.

I'm just going by what a couple of sales guys told me - sounds legit, but could be total BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

Can vouch for the IKEA mattress. Excellent quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Bought the girlfriend an Inofia mattress off Amazon, its killer. Delivery is prompt.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

If you sleep on your stomach then firm mattresses are the best. Otherwise, if you sleep on sides then soft mattresses like Bed Butler Comfort Pocket and Temptation 2000 could be good options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can vouch for the IKEA mattress. Excellent quality.

Do they stock a really firm one?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

NIMAN wrote: »
    Do they stock a really firm one?

I am not sure either IKEA has any stock of firm mattresses. I searched the site and most of the results that come with firm mattresses also have words 'Sprung'. You can see them here https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/products/?q=firm%20mattress. I think IKEA has firm mattresses with spring support. In case of firm mattress, I prefer the 100% foam that's why you can see Studio by Silentnight mattress. Yes, it is a complete foam mattress. However, I am also looking for a memory foam topper from here https://velovision.co.uk/best-memory-foam-mattress-topper/ to enhance the life of my recently purchased mattress. Probably, an easy to wash topper would work fine.

On the other hand, if you only want to consider spring ones as a firm mattress then Silentnight Pocket Ortho 1400 is also another great option. It has specially designed to give a better sleep with a reasonable quote. It has an adequate number of springs. Hopefully, you would like it if you are looking for Ortho ones. Withal, it's a single mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Talk to bigmickey.ie on here - I've bought beds and mattresses from him, service is second to none and he'll see you right.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113897028

They used to have a try-it-out van where they'd call to your house with a selection of candidate mattresses to try - not sure if that's still on the go in the current climate though (I very much doubt it) - but he's incredibly helpful and def worth talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

+1 for bigmickey.ie

Great service and I'm currently relaxing on a very comfortable mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

really depends on how you sleep
    My preference is a firm mattress with a 2" topper

Memory foam dont breathe that well from what I've heard

Pocket springs and as many as you can get, €1000 will get you a very good mattress no matter what you pick

+1 for bigmickey.ie

Great service and I'm currently relaxing on a very comfortable mattress.

I'd definitely recommend him also, great to deal with and great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I know this is an old thread, but we got an emma mattress in super king size just after Christmas. It is fab. We are now in the process of waiting all the mattress over to Emma mattresses. They regularly have promos 30 to 46% off. You can try it out for 200 days and get your money back!
    :)

Millem wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread, but we got an emma mattress in super king size just after Christmas. It is fab. We are now in the process of waiting all the mattress over to Emma mattresses. They regularly have promos 30 to 46% off. You can try it out for 200 days and get your money back!
    :)

What would you say firmness is on that?

I am looking out for a firm one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I got a firm Hokkasen super king from IKEA for €600. Our budget was €1,000 but we took a gamble.

I'm a big lad and I don't sink into it too much, just the right amount. It's not super hard either. I've had it a month now and anytime I get into bed in my head I'm saying "ahhhh" as I relax.

Word of warning about Emma mattress, they're foam and they don't dissipate heat very well compared to pocket sprung and aren't the most durable either. If you get warm at night avoid a foam mattress 100%.

What would you say firmness is on that?

I am looking out for a firm one?

I wouldn’t say it’s very firm. Our last one was very hard.
    It’s difficult to describe tbh. I watched some you tube clips prior to ordering it! It’s like the Emma mattress seems to suit everyone? My husband travels a lot and stays in 5 star hotels and he says it’s on par with the mattresses there.
    We ordered it on a whim as had gone around all the usual spots trying out mattresses. The try it out or get your money back swung it for us.
    We are in the process of changing all the mattresses in the house over to an Emma mattress. We have never had any difficulties with heat tbh and my husband really feels the heat at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

We got an Emma Superking as well in February to replace a Casey's pocket sprung own brand one, have to say it's a lot more comfortable than the Pocket sprung, no aches or pains since and no night sweats. I slept like a log in it from day one took the Mrs a few weeks to adjust to it but she was forever complaining about a sore back or something and it wasn't the mattresses fault, turns out it was. We paid €539 delivered but there's always discounts so you might get cheaper.
    It's very easy clean the cover just zips off and there's a 100 day money back on it. Would I buy it over a pocket sprung again, definitely.
    With the money back it's probably worth a gamble but give it a week or two to adjust.
    It's firm but soft, you kinda mould into it rather than sleep on top of it.

We got an Emma Superking as well in February to replace a Casey's pocket sprung own brand one, have to say it's a lot more comfortable than the Pocket sprung, no aches or pains since and no night sweats. I slept like a log in it from day one took the Mrs a few weeks to adjust to it but she was forever complaining about a sore back or something and it wasn't the mattresses fault, turns out it was. We paid €539 delivered but there's always discounts so you might her cheaper.
    It's very easy clean the cover just zips off and there's a 100 day money back on it. Would I buy it over a pocket sprung again, definitely.
    With the money back it's probably worth a gamble but give it a week or two to adjust.
    It's firm but soft, you kinda mould into it rather than sleep on top of it.

We bought it when there was 46% off or something like that! I think at the minute there is 40% off.
    Since covid there is 200 nights money back :)

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Word of warning about Emma mattress, they're foam and they don't dissipate heat very well compared to pocket sprung and aren't the most durable either. If you get warm at night avoid a foam mattress 100%.

I find it the opposite, haven't once got sweats on it and used to pretty often on the old mattress. I'm a side sleeper and I could feel the springs with all the weight concentrated on the one spot, nearly always felt sore in the morning, previous pocket sprung was the same.

Re: the Emma mattress, I just checked their website and there are 2 types, the original and the Hybrid.

Which ones are you using?

I see the original is £500 at present, no sign of any deals going?

Just checked the invoice there and it doesn't say, I'm pretty sure it's the original, it was 799 discounted to 539 for the Superking. Can't see a hybrid on the site.

Just on the night sweats changing duvet to a Baavet helped a lot but the Emma finished them completely.

Re: the Emma mattress, I just checked their website and there are 2 types, the original and the Hybrid.

Which ones are you using?

I see the original is £500 at present, no sign of any deals going?

Use code “ENDJUNE40”.

https://www.emma-mattress.ie/shop/

I presume we have the original never heard of the hybrid.

That's a good discount, more than I got.

That's a good discount, more than I got.

You can do a refer a friend too but I don’t think it can be applied with the discount? Not sure.

Millem wrote: »
    Use code “ENDJUNE40”.

I'll see your ENDJUNE40 and raise you PAYDAY41 (just checked it works).

• Advertisement

I'll see your ENDJUNE40 and raise you PAYDAY41 (just checked it works).

Even better ;)

Advertisement