Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reformer Pilates

• 24-02-2020 4:03pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I used to do Pilates for a number of years and loved it. Unfortunately, through one thing and another (teachers moving on to other things) I gave it up about three years ago. It was unintentional but I just never found another class that suited ne but would love to get back to it. I see a place near to me will soon be doing Reformer Pilates. Has anyone tried this and how did you find it? Is it much different to 'regular' pilates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭purethick

Reformer Pilates is great for sure - though mat is actually harder as you don't have the support of the equipment. The history is interesting - the reformer was initially developed so that people who were bedridden could be rehabilitated.

As a general comment it's all about the teacher regardless of whichever flavour of Pilates (or yoga) - look for a good instructor (ideally get a personal recommendation) and small classes. Pilates is very precise and nuanced - if the classes are too large then it is not possible for the instructor to give individual attention and correction (or modifications) to the people in the class.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I would agree re the teachers purethick, the reason I stopped doing it was that the teachers I had founf and built a bond with moved on, one due to increased cost of her sity centre studio (no longer giving classes anywhere suitable for me) and the other gave up teaching entirely to go back to learn about reformer pilates but that was quite some time ago so I'm not sure if she ever took up teaching it afterwards. Liking the teacher is very important to me.

Advertisement