Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRT madness!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭paul79

E8-E76802-3889-4-E63-8705-725-D35304-DDF.jpg
    [/url][/URL]
    [IMG][/img]E31-F7005-F824-4-AF9-8-BDD-9-F738-E5-DBDF1.jpg

8400347-F-883-F-40-DC-B870-36874317-B5-B6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Problem with the sync signal, possibly the voltage level is too high on it.

It’s a Sigma Raijin I am using, what would be the best solution to try fix it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,279 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Might be of interest to some. So JVC pro CRT monitors can be had for a bit cheaper due to not having the Sony tax, however - a lot of them don't have an RGB input board (they're SDI and composite only)

The RGB board is actually really quite rare and expensive.

Seems a dude has created one to fill the gap! Not mentally expensive either.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173857311636?ul_noapp=true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Even the JVC ones have gone through the roof in price the last while.

That card is really cool though.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Oh really??? Balls! I was thinking I might finally get around to trying one out, they do a lot in the 17 inch range which you don't really seem from Sony.

The Jvc ones aren’t in the Sony price range just yet thankfully ,the guy I got mine from has a few left but it is costly to ship from Germany , I’m also still trying to find a solution to the picture warp at the top when using my supergun, GameCube looks fantastic on the monitor tho.

Finally got my Aes out and tried it on the Jvc monitor picture is fantastic, Colours are much brighter in person very happy with it .

D3220885-654-F-42-A9-85-FA-568-E75-E033-F1.jpg
    A5641061-619-A-4-E9-C-A032-73-AA6-A42624-D.jpg
    05-DAE3-BE-24-EA-44-E8-810-A-92-A835-C8-AC07.jpg
    61-A4-B5-BB-25-DF-4-E9-A-8-F1-C-B3394-FB5-C5-C7.jpg

Master of the Universe

Check out this dudes PC collection over on reddit :eek:

panorama_2012.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Greycon

Hi. I’m rebuilding an old Dec PDP 8 computer. I’ve been on the lookout for a serial terminal for it for years. I drove to the uk two months ago to collect an old HP2382a terminal. Sadly it has bad screen burn, but I guess it is 35+ years old.

Do you know of anyone who might replace the crt? It’s a 9 inch monochrome tube.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

So I have a 9 inch PVM sitting in a closest gathering dust and I'm trying to figure out a purpose for it.

I have a PS1 Classic also sitting unopened in a box - got an idea to set up a mini gaming station.

Ratio wise, I wonder what a mini console with a 9 inch PVM would be the equivalent of? A regular console with a 20 inch PVM? Might look kind of cool having a few mini consoles hooked up.

Just trying to figure out the logistics of it. Ideally you'd need a HDMI to scart RGB converter box but they're really pricey, the cheaper ones seem to be composite only. :/

Then again, composite doesn't look half bad on a 9 inch screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭Inviere

^^ Bin the PS1 Classic (junk anyway), and fit nice Pi4 inside the case of the PVM (if there's room?). If not, buy a nice case for the Pi4 and have it look after the PVM with retro goodness. I say Pi4 because it has enough power for RetroArch to use the Run Ahead feature, with makes a BIG difference.

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    ^^ Bin the PS1 Classic (junk anyway), and fit nice Pi4 inside the case of the PVM (if there's room?). If not, buy a nice case for the Pi4 and have it look after the PVM with retro goodness. I say Pi4 because it has enough power for RetroArch to use the Run Ahead feature, with makes a BIG difference.

It'd be really interesting alright to try and do an all in one type thing. So mount a pi in under the PVM case and then play games using an 8bitdo pad. Basically a pick up and go portable emulation machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    It'd be really interesting alright to try and do an all in one type thing. So mount a pi in under the PVM case and then play games using an 8bitdo pad. Basically a pick up and go portable emulation machine.

Yep, I think Cidey had something similar set up with an old portable tv? Though there'd prob be less room in the PVM? Not sure...worth investigating though :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

has anyone ever bought from norther ireland broadcast? I bought something there on the 2nd and it still is "processing" on the website, I emailed them a few days back and got no reply, anyone know if they take ages to ship stuff?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    Yep, I think Cidey had something similar set up with an old portable tv? Though there'd prob be less room in the PVM? Not sure...worth investigating though :)

I used a lovely 14" Sony Trini in a silver finish, quite modern and square.

trinitron_colour_kv_14_lm1e_1626183.jpg

I put a RPi2 into the casing, bored a hole in the front and connected a USB PS3 controller, out the back then the Scart/Power and so on.

It all worked a treat, once set up, just plugged it in, turned the set on and there was Retropie in all it's glory.

I passed it onto Sparks after a time, as it wasn't getting much use, but I do recall the picture quality was excellent, despite the composite video signal, more to do with the excellent Trini tube I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Digital foundry with the truth everyone here already knows :D

https://youtu.be/V8BVTHxc4LM

Master of the Universe

Digital foundry with the truth everyone here already knows :D

https://youtu.be/V8BVTHxc4LM

...and with that, every FW900 doubled in price overnight :eek:

Master of the Universe

Any of you guys ever hear of these lads?

https://www.psra.ie/

Looks like they service CRT monitors

https://www.psra.ie/monitors/crt-monitors/

I sent them an email to see if they'd be willing to do a bit of a refresh on my BVM.

Although I don't know if I'm up to carrying it down 5 flights of stairs again :eek:

Definitely keep my posted on that. I'd like to bring the big daddy grundig up to them

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Cool little item I just saw pop up on ebay, an adapter to turn your BNC sockets on the back of your PVM into a scart one instead.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163868689141?ul_noapp=true

You're just killing my wallet with this stuff!

Master of the Universe

You're just killing my wallet with this stuff!

Haha!

be careful if you were thinking of picking one of them up to test out on your 9 inchers, I think the SYNC BNC input on them isn't in a straight line like the adapter and is off to the side.

Edt : actually it says 'Including 5x BNC Male To Male Patch Cables' so that would probably solve that issue.

Yeah I just copper that. Probably be perfect for ikegami

I've a spare quad sync kortek arcade monitor KT-2914F and am thinking of using it as a replacement for the console TV. It will handle 15khz from the snes megadrive etc and then also take dreamcast vga.

The only problem is having an open monitor on the table. Is there any generic surround that can be purchased?

Master of the Universe

Could you maybe just build a wooden box around it? Would look kind of like one of those Hantarex video wall monitors.

01.jpg

o1s1n wrote: »
    Could you maybe just build a wooden box around it? Would look kind of like one of those Hantarex video wall monitors.

01.jpg

Might as well stick a control panel on the front............
    I'd be worried about it getting necked all right.
    Drop a joypad on it or something then hisssss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

An arcade monitor would look cool in a clear perspex box

Was thinking that same thing! I've a few other projects on the go but will get around to this.

Here is a clip of someone using trisync arcade monitor for consoles https://youtu.be/VU8tGSaHnbA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

picking up this little project a year later... trying to turn this 5 inch black and white crt into a vector monitor :)
    Here I just used a small 74ls14 schmitt trigger to create two pulses . one horizontal. one vertical and I adjust them with pots... then send them to two separate amps back into the deflection coil. crude but I was just trying to see if I could do it.
    So I'm just using the original board for the HV and all the electron beam stuff.
    Just need to see if and how I can control beam intensity but I'm tempted to pick up one of those arcade vector game fpga board and see if I can use it to drive this tube :)

71640636_10157641859453276_3509721113921847296_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQloauA_hPM6VBaLgouOqnviLWRIItGT78CIBoVoiTwqUFNmidyne9RH41rhn3A2V1Af9n4gz-VApd3c8OCNGOcY&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=8539fc384e43b44901b8c50b447d688c&oe=5E2C43B1

Advertisement