Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finally getting through my boxes from sauron's lair. Not a lot I can test out. I've a WiiU with no cables or pad, a Xbox with no cables, a PS1 with cables but no games to try and a Saturn with no cables.

I did however have the cables for the NES and SNES. Both worked great through the retrotink 5x. There's a bit of noise in the sound out of the SNES but it might be the cable. Hoping it's not capacitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Haha, the oul 'Ooh it would be a good idea to store all of my cables in this one box so they're together' decision backfiring. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Sounds like the cable alright, I've had that issue with a Snes & bright images before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was more like 'I, Sauron, order my spouse and his best mate to shove everything into these storage boxes while the brat is away in Sligo. He can't complain if he isn't here'.

The cables were all tangled up in old eircom modems, old nokia and ericsson phone chargers and other random nonsense.

Probably going to be a while before I get all the cable together. Bit like finding all the pieces of the triforce.

No sure my RGB cables were the best quality and it's starting to really show on the higher end gear. Think I'll be getting higher quality cables as the component cable for PS2 cost me a lot of money but the quality upgrade is well worth it.

Also my famicom still has the short famicom controller cables. Are there controller solutions for the famicom, even a way to use wireless controlled would be nice.

Edit: Found this: https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/snes_to_famicom_cable/index.php

Wonder if they will work with the wireless 8-bitdo. Anyone have any experience?

Edit 2: Looks like some games don't support expansion port controllers and I'm guessing Western NES games won't

Master of the Universe

Hudson did a Famicom controller that plugs into the exe port on the front with a long cable so you can use it like a regular controller.

I bought one a few years back and it works great:

Ended up going with another solution though. I replaced my old Famicom with the AV top loader kind with an RGB mod. It has controller ports on the front that are same as NES ones - you can hook up an 8BITDO wireless receiver and use the NES30 pad with it wirelessly.

• Advertisement

I'm reading some games don't support expansion port controllers.

Master of the Universe

Huh! the only compatibility issue I remember is it wouldn't work with the Everdrive menu. I'd to select a game with the built in controllers. Once the game booted it would work. Although I can't attest for full compatibility, probably are some games that might not like it.

You know what you have to do so: 😁

Yeah seems the compatibility with the everdrive is the same as some games have. Expansion port controller support has to be coded in and a few games didn't do this. Mario 2 USA and battletoads seem to be two. I'd say NES games didn't bother as there's no expansion port on the NES.

I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment so not sure that Famicom is something I can afford right now!

There is a mod to switch expansion port to act like the built in controllers but it's not trivial apparently.

What's the beef with eBay? I made an offer that was accepted on an item in Japan for $140, original listing was for $170. When trying to pay for the item, it's requesting $172.20 from me. The item has free shipping, and vat/import fees aren't mentioned on the auction page, unlike other items in the UK where you can see the additional charges listed...

Edit - scratch that, just ran the numbers, seems its bang on 23% extra, so has to be vat right? Was this always the case with eBay charging the vat on imports like this??

I think it's a newish thing. And ebay makes an extra dime off it I'm sure as facilitator.

Not sure what prompted it. Could be all the returns that likely happened because of the VAT code nonsense

• Advertisement

Yeah maybe so. I really wish the listing page would show the charges in this case, I know they do it on the UK auctions and it's nice to know what the total will be before you commit to buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭geotrig

could be shipping through the global shipping program which i think does the import duties but odd that it wasnt mentioned ,surely the breakdown mentions it somewhere ?it is a **** move that you are not seeing the real total if that is the case . Is that ebay.ie or uk ? i am convinced ive' seen different prices on both for the same thing !but cant prove it 😂

I'm convinced the .ie site is the equivalent of windows xp these days or fifa on the switch !😁

Master of the Universe

That caught me out recently when I bought that new Guncon from Japan. They accepted my offer but then price I had to pay looked more like the original listing price. It's definitely the import fees added on.

On the plus side it means it won't be held up by customs when it lands waiting for you to pay additional fees.

Honestly no mention of it. The only thing I can see is the shipping is listed as "free expedited shipping", which POSSIBLY means it's going through the GSP and therefore subject to VAT collection at point of sale? No idea, but not very consumer friendly if so.

And was it the same for you, as in, they were surprise charges that weren't mentioned/factored in on the item page?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yeah the global shipping programme can throw you off when the price is suddenly mad expensive but that includes everything so there's no surprises on arrival. Anything I've gotten from the US and any more expensive items from the UK have had it. Something I got recently had the price and international shipping shown as normal and only when I went to the checkout the increased price was there by surprise. I've definitely seen eBay separately point out how much customs might be on listings but that might be non-GSP items?

Master of the Universe

I didn't actually quiz the seller on it, luckily I figured out it was the tax etc first before contacting them.

Was well confused though, in the email from ebay it said it was accepted for X amount but when I went into the auction it was like the deduction wasn't factored in.

They really need to make it far clearer.

That's exactly what happened to me. It really just looked like the original price and the discount wasn't being applied

Seriously, seriously impressive 'romhack' here...Mega Man: The Sequel Wars (Megadrive continuation of parts 4, 5, & 6 in the Wily Wars style). Is it even a romhack at this stage??

Messing with the setting of the retrotink 5x not that I have the NES and snes hooked up. Have it looking absolutely gorgeous with a nice mask, Scanlines and HDR. There's even some nice colour bleed antialiasing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

There will be a run on NES consoles from teachers trying to make learning Irish more 'fun' :D

There be (2) more!

Question about the MegaAGS pack, does anyone here use it on a real Amiga that's running ide2sd or ide2cf? I have it working on Mister, and In-UAE....but curious how it'd work on a real Amiga given there's a separate hdf for game saves.

I don't know who's worse, Nvidia or Android, but they made a right mess of some basic networking features of the Shield.

I felt like playing a game or two today while not in the living room, so said I'd point Retroarch on one of my Shields to my Unraid share that houses all of the roms I've legitimately dumped. "How hard can it be" I asked. Well, it certainly wasn't as simple as it should be.

First step was to mount the server in the shield settings. Found the relevant section in the Shield settings, and, nope, nothing. No Server shows up (it's on the network, pc can find it, Emby finds it, my phone finds it....but the Shield doesn't.) A great start.

After much cumbersome faffing around with the Shields ad-riddled operating system and it's remote, I discovered I had to turn on Netbios support in Unraids smb settings. Not a feature I'm entirely comfortable with, as its an smb1 feature, a not entirely secure protocol. Anyway, I'll leave it on for now for the sake of finishing this out.

Shield then finds the server. Next, using a file browser (x-plorer), I must edit the Retroarch.cfg file to point to the emulation share instead of the default location....quite an easy task one might think? Nope. Editing the file throws you down to the very end of the file (a huge config file) where I've to manually search for the correct string to edit. Eventually I find it, I move the cursor to the correct location, click the remote to bring up the keyboard, and bang, back to the very end of the file with the keyboard now on screen. Repeat, same result. Painful, absolutely painful.

So a less direct way to edit the file, is to log into the Shield with my pc and do it that way. Enable the share settings, and try to find the shield on the network using the pc. Nope, not there. Go back to the shield and note it's IP address, then type that in directly and log in from there. Find the file, and use notepad++ to edit it (a less than 10 second job with software that actually functions.)

So back on the Shield now, and start up Retroarch. Seems to be finding the roms anyway which is good, I browse and launch a game. Works fine once the controller is hooked up.

However, when the controller is hooked up, the remote now only partially functions (no Back button works, and the OK button doesn't work.) I have to force close the game, despite having both a controller AND the Shield remote connected.

This isn't something I'll use in this state, so I restart the Server and the Shield just to see if that fixes the glitchy controls. Once they restart, no games available. It seems the Server credentials aren't cached or stored, and you've to remount the share after every reboot. I tend to use complex passwords, so that ain't happening every time I want to play a game.

So after 90 mins or so, I shake my head, and un-do everything. Retroarch uninstalled, x-plorer uninstalled, Server settings restored to disable netbios, and Shield network and share settings restored to how they were.

So yeah, the Nvidia Shield, all the SMB functionality of a V-Tech Teach n Type. It's 2023 lads, jesus....

Master of the Universe

Watched The King of Kong last night for the first time in ages, couldn't believe it's over a decade and a half old now - was released in 2007! Donkey Kong was only 26 years old at the time, it's 42 now 😀

Sent me down a rabbit hole as to what Billy Mitchell has been doing for the last 16 years. I have still yet to try his hot sauce.

Got another big old box of stuff from the parents. This one is mostly a big box of wires and accessories. I've two megadrive justifiers in there (yep, the pink one!). Hoping it has the wires for the megadrive but also hoping the WiiU wires as I want to see if it's bricked.

Heavy machinegun!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭phily2002

Yeah I still keep up to date with it all, it's great entertainment. It's crazy all the facts and evidence against him and he still won't admit to cheating. Perfectpacman.com is a good read if you have a lot of time to spare!

So sorted through the latest archaeological find from Sauron's attic. Not much game related stuff here a hell of a lot of controllers and wires but it's brought me great peace of mind.

So after sorting through this I found a bag with all my amiibos, wires for pretty much all my consoles, except the megadrive unfortunately and my MSX. Found my hacked 3DS XLS as well.

First thing I had to try was my WiiU which thankfully isn't bricked. It booted up and I was able to play xenoblade chronicles X. Now to dig out my copy of devil's third.

I also tried out my MSX 2 which I was wary about but it booted up no problem. It looks absolutely gorgeous in RGB on the retrotink. Working so well, no noise in the cable either and a lovely clear image. Sony might have awful optical drives but the rest of their hardware is solid and this MSX2 is no exception.

I'll need to find my megadrive and cables but I've also got my Wii cables and all the bits and bobs for the Virtual Boy so will be interesting to see if that works next. I've also got all the cables for my saturn and my saturn so I'll give that a whirl.

• Advertisement

Your Wii U booting a game isn't fully indicative that it's OK strangely enough. My launch model only shows a problem if I go to initiate a NAND dump. It boots games fine too. I think depending on what part of the NAND is corrupted, it'll show errors doing different things.

Go and get the NAND dumped ASAP. You can do it through the browser without having to install cfw or anything. At least then you've a backup.

Advertisement