Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Morning Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Absolutely farcical interview with Pearse Doherty on MI just now.

Playing cat & mouse with Gavin Jennings over a long delay on a satellite/zoom call.

Hello?
    YEAH ANYWAY AS I WAS SAYING
    Hello? Pearse Doherty can you hear me?
    HELLO?
    Hello?
    HELLO?
    Oh, uh, sorry listeners.Pearse Doherty?
    Pearse Doherty, there is a delay on the line
    HELLO?

Pick up the Goddamn landline lads. Phones still work.

Correct Ty, these RTE people will jump like rabid dogs on anything they can do to ‘attack’ the ‘Gubbermint’ yet there is t a live programme yet where THEY have not multiple satellite breakdowns.

Not a dickie bird about that of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why in the jaysus use anything other than phones on a radio show, fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Surprised at Dr. Jennings putting up with such ropey technology.
    Some tech guy (or girl) should expect a bollocking.

The good doctor has form when it comes to his professionalism being "compromised". He was caught on the webcam berating some producer for feeding him the wrong name of a guest a couple of years back.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/if-looks-could-kill-bryan-11448260

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Surprised at Dr. Jennings putting up with such ropey technology.
    Some tech guy (or girl) should expect a bollocking.

The good doctor has form when it comes to his professionalism being "compromised". He was caught on the webcam berating some producer for feeding him the wrong name of a guest a couple of years back.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/if-looks-could-kill-bryan-11448260
    Thought it was a bit unfair of commentators at the time to characterise Jennings as almost being demanding or precious. It shouldn't be difficult to get someone's name right. It's a reasonable irritation when someone else's sloppiness makes you look sloppy.

I'd say whoever was responsible for the sound test on that call this morning got a similar earful — good. Waste of time, impossible to conduct a robust interview like that. Doherty was allowed to just rattle on in the end.

Who’s this new addition to MI on this morning?

Passable enough, but they need to stamp out the ‘Nooze ’ stuff which might
    indicate she came from NT.

It’s beginning to take hold and the ‘clusters’ seem to come from NT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭deise man

Louise Byrne. She was presenting prime time for the last couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

deise man wrote: »
    Louise Byrne. She was presenting prime time for the last couple of weeks

I was impressed with Louise Byrne both on Morning Ireland and Prime Time. I think given the opportunity she’s destined for a very good career. She’s been a reporter on Prime Time for some time already.

AJB39 wrote: »
    I was impressed with Louise Byrne both on Morning Ireland and Prime Time. I think given the opportunity she’s destined for a very good career. She’s been a reporter on Prime Time for some time already.

Needs to ditch the ‘Nooze’ craic.

Fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Who’s this new addition to MI on this morning?

Passable enough, but they need to stamp out the ‘Nooze ’ stuff which might
    indicate she came from NT.

It’s beginning to take hold and the ‘clusters’ seem to come from NT.
    Needs to ditch the ‘Nooze’ craic.

Fast.

That has been going on for centuries, just one of thousands of words with more than one standard pronunciation.

I notice there is controversy in America about the pronunciation of Kamala. Harris pronounces her name the Indian way, Comma La, not Camel A. Radio people should pronounce her name the same way she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I think Matt Cooper was the first on Irish radio I heard pronounce the "News" as "Nooze"

I can accept many other words being pronounced differently, but this takes the biscuit!!

• Advertisement

https://www.thesun.ie/news/1457854/rte-blasted-for-pronunciation-style-guide-which-demands-broadcasters-speak-on-air-using-queens-english/#:~:text=NEWS%20is%20pronounced%20nyews%20%E2%80%94%20and%20definitely%20not%20NOOZE.

Prof Hickey said: “Birthday, with staff urged to pronounce TH fully — this is an English pronunciation.

“The Irish don’t pronounce the TH as a fricative but a stop with no breath, so to speak. The same is true of news, the Irish pronunciation is and always has been nooze.”

https://www.thesun.ie/news/1457854/rte-blasted-for-pronunciation-style-guide-which-demands-broadcasters-speak-on-air-using-queens-english/#:~:text=NEWS%20is%20pronounced%20nyews%20%E2%80%94%20and%20definitely%20not%20NOOZE.

Prof Hickey said: “Birthday, with staff urged to pronounce TH fully — this is an English pronunciation.

“The Irish don’t pronounce the TH as a fricative but a stop with no breath, so to speak. The same is true of news, the Irish pronunciation is and always has been nooze.”

He is talking through his arse, if you pardon the expression

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

I think Matt Cooper was the first on Irish radio I heard pronounce the "News" as "Nooze"

I can accept many other words being pronounced differently, but this takes the biscuit!!

Jaysus. I like Matt Cooper but I wouldn’t be taking elocution lessons from him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Gavin Jenning's mic sound quality sounds somewhat 'unnatural' (as with lossy digital compression in the chain?) - what do others think ??

He is talking through his arse, if you pardon the expression

He makes a living out of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Hickey

Listening now about the two girls who spent an overnight before being rescued by a fisherman, I am thinking they were not particularly well served by the official rescue services. They could see the official rescue parties and must have been devastated when those failed to see them. Apparently conditions were relatively good, so visibility wasn't hampered. Very easy to be critical from an armchair, but I'd say they will be reassessing the way they went about the operation. Not being critical of the great volunteers here, but of the oversight of the rescue. There were two people who could do very easily have lost their lives without timely intervention.

If he does he is a fraud.

Anybody tells me ‘Nooze’ is the Irish way we pronounce ‘News’ is a chancer and a fraud.

Next thing the ‘Done’ and ‘Seen’ brigade will be lauded as having the correct ‘Irish’ pronunciation.

It’s either right or fohkking wrong in this posters opinion.

Antenna wrote: »
    Gavin Jenning's mic sound quality sounds somewhat 'unnatural' (as with lossy digital compression in the chain?) - what do others think ??

broadcasting from home might explain this

If he does he is a fraud.

Anybody tells me ‘Nooze’ is the Irish way we pronounce ‘News’ is a chancer and a fraud.

Next thing the ‘Done’ and ‘Seen’ brigade will be lauded as having the correct ‘Irish’ pronunciation.

It’s either right or fohkking wrong in this posters opinion.

Both are right, neither are wrong. I invite you to listen to Kevin Crawford on this video, just after 1 min 20, where he says "It's all Noo, like". That is a perfectly good way to speak.

Done and Seen have nothing to do with pronunciation. Although I have often thought that the pronunciation zealots might launch a campaign to make us rhyme Done with Bone or Gone.

Both are right, neither are wrong. I invite you to listen to Kevin Crawford on this video, just after 1 min 20, where he says "It's all Noo, like". That is a perfectly good way to speak.

Done and Seen have nothing to do with pronunciation. Although I have often thought that the pronunciation zealots might launch a campaign to make us rhyme Done with Bone or Gone.

Sorry my friend, doesn’t stack up.

Just because someone dragged from a vid you dug up says ‘nooo’ doesn’t make it good.

There’s a correct pronunciation and an incorrect pronunciation, you can take your pick, but there’s only one correct one.

Beat yourself all around the gaff all you like but it all comes to the same conclusion...... it’s ‘news’ not ‘Nooze’

Pronounce it any way you want but ‘nooze’ sorry my friend... :D

• Advertisement

I'm happy to recognise what every English dictionary recognises, that it has two standard (correct) pronunciations. I have heard radio people using both versions in the same sentence.

https://www.onelook.com/?w=news&ls=a

I'm happy to recognise what every English dictionary recognises, that it has two standard (correct) pronunciations. I have heard radio people using both versions in the same sentence.

https://www.onelook.com/?w=news&ls=a

American pronunciation is different to ours.

We are not based in America therefore in our realm it’s ‘news’.

If you want to hear ‘Nooze’ there’s always WTMJ Millwaukee for you.

Let’s cut this ‘Nooze’ crap out please.

Attention NT 106.... AA Roadwatch, RTE Samantha Libreri.

Please..... pretty please.....with sugar on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Looks like Aine Lawlor and Mary Wilson joining the team from Monday. Alongside Audrey Carvill and Rachael English. And the outnumbered Gavin Jennings.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Clon63

Just wondering what is the eationale for having 5 presumably high paid presenters for a 5 day a week 2 person show. Surely no more than 3 are needed even to alliw for sufficient "resting" of presenters or does RTE just have nowhere else to put the talent?

Newstalk has 2 regular presenters on Breakfast. The newsreader Brian Jennings does 4 days a week from 6am to lunchtime so it seems ectravagant.

In interviews before I think I heard the first meeting of presenters is at 5.15am and even allowing for maybe a weekly meeting after the orogramme the hours seem handy. I dont think any of the presenters have any other regular shows on RTE.

Would be interesting to see the salaries of the 5 presenters for their average 2 day week

Clon63 wrote: »
    Just wondering what is the eationale for having 5 presumably high paid presenters for a 5 day a week 2 person show. Surely no more than 3 are needed even to alliw for sufficient "resting" of presenters or does RTE just have nowhere else to put the talent?

Newstalk has 2 regular presenters on Breakfast. The newsreader Brian Jennings does 4 days a week from 6am to lunchtime so it seems ectravagant.

In interviews before I think I heard the first meeting of presenters is at 5.15am and even allowing for maybe a weekly meeting after the orogramme the hours seem handy. I dont think any of the presenters have any other regular shows on RTE.

Would be interesting to see the salaries of the 5 presenters for their average 2 day week

Very interesting.......indeed

Listening now about the two girls who spent an overnight before being rescued by a fisherman, I am thinking they were not particularly well served by the official rescue services. They could see the official rescue parties and must have been devastated when those failed to see them. Apparently conditions were relatively good, so visibility wasn't hampered. Very easy to be critical from an armchair, but I'd say they will be reassessing the way they went about the operation. Not being critical of the great volunteers here, but of the oversight of the rescue. There were two people who could do very easily have lost their lives without timely intervention.

Going out on paddle boards at nearly dark wasn’t a good move either.

Is today Bryan Dobson's first day on the News at One ?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

They seem to disappear for weeks at a time in that place. Des Cahill absent for ages since finishing the Desert Island Discs show, Sarah gone for weeks since finishing the morning program. Mary Wilson missing for a while also. Morning Ireland, 2 presenters out of 5 at a time by the sounds of it as you say, and a non-regular Carole Coleman filling in with Audrey today.
    Clon63 wrote: »

Probably undergoing training for their new roles..

Dessie.... not sure.... probably wiring into a pizza or something.

“Plenty of onions there boss”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Delighted to hear Aine Lawlor back on Morning Ireland earlier today.

Superb interviewer, she is superior to many of her colleagues in RTE. She sounds authoritative, knowledgeable, intelligent and in-charge of an interview. She sounds concerned and involved about the issue being discussed (eg Leaving Cert results debacle.) She knows how to pursue an evasive interviewee.

Imagine what a dynamic radio programme RTE would have had if they had given her the Today programme instead of Claire Byrne?

I firmly maintain that Claire Byrne will NOT work out in the Today slot.

Advertisement