Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I uploaded my entire music library to Play however it would appear that you cannot use home to play your music unless you also have a play subscription? Is this true? I can cast from play on my phone to home and that works but want to just ask for music directly and think a subscription is needed for this to work which is a bit annoying.

Actually what you need to do is create playlists with your uploaded music in, you can then play these playlists.

This should work with both a paid and free account.

However note there is no way to play your own music directly (song title, artist name, album, etc.), even with a paid account, only via playlists. At least for the moment, lots of people have complained about this to Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

My Home arrived yesterday, it requires me to have my iPhone set to US Region and Language in order to sync it up to Spotify. Does that happen for everyone?

Also, do people leave the unit powered on all day? Does it use much power in standby?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Shedite27 wrote: »
    My Home arrived yesterday, it requires me to have my iPhone set to US Region and Language in order to sync it up to Spotify. Does that happen for everyone?

Also, do people leave the unit powered on all day? Does it use much power in standby?

Power is on 24/7 language is US english easy to set up.

Did you buy of ebay how much di an post charge for duty.

noel100 wrote: »
    Power is on 24/7 language is US english easy to set up.

Did you buy of ebay how much di an post charge for duty.
    No, got a friend to bring it home from US.

You can setup the system fine in US English, but when you go to add a music system it tells me "Google assistant is only available in language "English (UK)"". That prevents me adding a Spotify account, until I change Language to English (US) and Region to United States too.

Haven't found anything that it will imapct yet, iTunes store is still in Euro anwyay. Maybe I'll just annoy people spelling colour wrong

No, got a friend to bring it home from US.

You can setup the system fine in US English, but when you go to add a music system it tells me "Google assistant is only available in language "English (UK)"". That prevents me adding a Spotify account, until I change Language to English (US) and Region to United States too.

Haven't found anything that it will imapct yet, iTunes store is still in Euro anwyay. Maybe I'll just annoy people spelling colour wrong

I didn't have any problems works a treat on Spotify. Radio excellent say hey google play newstalk fm.
    Trivia is fun
    View google photos is good
    Netflix is available but only command I can get to play is stranger things not picking up series I'm watching.
    Looking forward to setting up hue bulbs.
    I have 2 google homes will be getting another 2 after christmas just for playing music and radio is excellent for the price.

• Advertisement

noel100 wrote: »
    I didn't have any problems works a treat on Spotify. Radio excellent say hey google play newstalk fm.
    Trivia is fun
    View google photos is good
    Netflix is available but only command I can get to play is stranger things not picking up series I'm watching.
    Looking forward to setting up hue bulbs.
    I have 2 google homes will be getting another 2 after christmas just for playing music and radio is excellent for the price.
    Yeah Podcasts/radio is perfect out of the box, Music (Spotify) will be once I set my iPhone to US Settings.

"Newstalk" on its own always plays some spotify playlist for me, "Newstalk FM" works perfect. Very happy with it so far.

What podcast player does Google Home use? Do you have to be subscribed on your phone in order to play the podcast? (the missus is wondering how she can play her podcasts - Google Home is struggling with "Play Marian Fionnucane Podcast")

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I cannot get it to ever understand 'U2' which it always interprets as YouTube!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

What podcast player does Google Home use? Do you have to be subscribed on your phone in order to play the podcast? (the missus is wondering how she can play her podcasts - Google Home is struggling with "Play Marian Fionnucane Podcast")

I assumed it was when you use Spotify for Podcasts, but I could be completely wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

ok, anyone set up google home with a google apps account (i use google apps rather than gmail, and it seems to be restricting some services such as calander events etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Google seem to be doing a 4 month free full subscription to Play Music at the moment (well they've given me one in spite of the fact that I had a free term many years ago when I first signed up).

Anyway, it seems to be working perfectly well with Google Home now - I can request individual albums and songs without a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Got my GHome yesterday. Really quick and easy to set up. Have it playing my spotify on multiroom, got the hue lights working too. Very impressed with it. Sounds is good, voice recognition is good. Very happy with it, not least for its patience with my kids pestering it with millions of questions!!

One thing to be aware of, which I discovered over the last few days, is Google hike does not support google accounts on g suite/google apps, and if you have one of those accounts your services will be limited with no integration to calender photos etc.

Very dissapointed with this, my entire life for the last ten years has been backed up on my Google apps account and I cannot move away from it.

Alexa supports both gmail and google apps accounts, it's just google who don't support their own services.

Something to be aware of.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Very dissapointed with this, my entire life for the last ten years has been backed up on my Google apps account and I cannot move away from it.

That sucks, but I'm certain support for Google Apps accounts will eventually be added.

I've seen this issue crop up with apps accounts before. While they look similar, it turns out that in Google they are developed by an entirely different team and run on different infrastructure. Also given that Apps is aimed at more corporate type users, they tend to be more conservative. Stuff gets added to general Google Accounts first and after it has been tested there for a while, it get's migrated to Apps accounts.

bk wrote: »
    That sucks, but I'm certain support for Google Apps accounts will eventually be added.

I've seen this issue crop up with apps accounts before. While they look similar, it turns out that in Google they are developed by an entirely different team and run on different infrastructure. Also given that Apps is aimed at more corporate type users, they tend to be more conservative. Stuff gets added to general Google Accounts first and after it has been tested there for a while, it get's migrated to Apps accounts.

I hope you are right, although I haven't seen anything online to reassure or any comment from Google that they are going to resolve this issue.

I did send feedback to them on it, using thengoogle home :-) just say, hey google, send feedback, which is pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

The Home must be fairly popular as a friend was in the US before xmas and couldn't get me one as it was sold out everywhere.

opus wrote: »
    The Home must be fairly popular as a friend was in the US before xmas and couldn't get me one as it was sold out everywhere.

They were reduced to $99 in the black friday sales and seemingly flew off the shelves at that price. Makes sense as they potentially made for a cool and affordable Christmas present.

opus wrote: »

I was in USA mid December and I was tripping over them in shops everywhere. Even the department stores had stacks of them. I ended up buying mine in Best Buy who had no shortage of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I got mine in Best Buy on Stephens Day. I did a walkabout and thought they were out, before I realised that the front partition of the store was made of stacked Google Homes.

Definitely loads left.

are there any other 'tap' options other than stop and volume control as seems like it would be good if you do some tap sequence on the surface to move to next song rather than shouting 'ok google, next'!!?

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    are there any other 'tap' options other than stop and volume control as seems like it would be good if you do some tap sequence on the surface to move to next song rather than shouting 'ok google, next'!!?

There are other options, but unfortunately no option for Next track:

https://madeby.google.com/home/learn/

There is an option to send feedback I am the home device, I just sent one about the next rack option.

Sent one the other day as well suggesting that users could specify the volume for voice response separately to the volume for music.

The feed back bit is very easy, I would suggest people lash in proposals and suggestions to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

got this today from a mate of mine who brought it back from America...Setup was easy...only thing i cant figure out is how to set reminders and add stuff to my calendar...any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

actually found this on another forum...works perfect :)
    1. Go to IFTTT. Its a free service and the only way possible to do this now. Connect to Google assistant service, connect to Google calendar service.
    2. As first step, add trigger point in google assistant - " Remind me to $" or "Set reminder to $" or "Set reminder for $". Make assistant say field as "okay setting reminder for $".
    3. $ stands for any text you say after words like Call Scott next Monday at 7:00 AM, etc.
    4. Set action event for quick add reminder with just the TextField option.

Thats it, Google home can create reminders now to your Google calendar. You can play around with this more for more specifics but these steps suffice most needs.

The reminders/alarms scared the sh1t out of me the first time I heard one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

just got mine today, quite pleased with it. Have it set up on a "family" account which I share with Mrs McG. Was able to link Hue lights no problem, it hasn't had any bother understanding us. Only thing missing really is proper calendar support which I assume is coming (or use the steps provided above by JAM222).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fergal40

Just got my Google Home delivered today from United States - do i need transformer to covert from US power to EU/IRL or will travel plug suffice ?
    many thanks in advance

fergal40 wrote: »
    Just got my Google Home delivered today from United States - do i need transformer to covert from US power to EU/IRL or will travel plug suffice ?
    many thanks in advance

just a travel plug. It works from 110v-220v.

Set up six bulbs today from 2 starters kits
    Second starter kit was not recognised till I manually put in serial numbers.
    Working great with Ghome and colours are great. Wife thinks I'm mad telling Ghome changing colours going through rainbow. When we get to red she thinks the the room looks like a brothel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Have had mine a few weeks now and am generally really impressed - you really need three of these buggers though, don't you? Really want one for kitchen, bedroom and living room - hopefully Google eventually bring out something similar to the Dot.

Obviously the lack of calendar support is a minus but I've no doubt that that'll be sorted in the shorter term by Google - I really wasn't expecting full functionality just yet so that doesn't frustrate me as such.

The only thing that does bug me a little, and I'm sure it's the same with the Echo, is having to raise my voice quite a bit to be heard by the device if I have music playing at any sort of a level, especially if I'm anything more than a few feet away. It's to be expected I guess but I did expect the pick-up to be a little better.

Advertisement