Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorcycle FAQ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rootofallevil

Yeah, quick plea for help here. I got my 1st bike just over a yr ago, a 00 Marauder 125cc. Problem 1- The hole in the diaphram in the carburetor is worn and I need it fixin. Problem 2 - I'm stuck for cash. I lookin for a second hand carburetor so I can get it fixed at home, as i've been informed my only other option is a a costly diaphram replacement job which would have a lot of labour costs in the bill. Any help would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭padraigcarroll

I have fixed diaphragms before with condoms & superglue!
    :-P

I sh!t u not!

not hex actly ur proper fix but a get u out of a hole jobby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

MAG have been talking to AON/Axa, the third insurance offering here in Ireland. They have been able to secure agreement for discounts based on passing a 3 hour assessment ride. The discount will apply for all licence holders, provisional and full. The assessment is carried out by RoSPA certified people.

The example I heard quoted was a twenty-something rider with provisional licence on a CG125 (group 2) bike was quoted 2800 for insurance (not sure if TPO or FC). Other companies were quoting "silly money" :rolleyes: With a day's training (cost about 150 yoyos) the guy could have a 40% discount. That means a discount of 1120 yoyos. Do the maths yourselves, but makes sense financially and in safety terms. I believe that's made up in 2 parts, 25% for passing basic level assessment (same as getting passing the State driving test) and another 15% for reaching next level.

One of the drivers behind this initiative is the ridiculously long waiting lists for driving tests, 40-50 weeks and the high fatality rate amongst bikers and hence higher premiums for bikers as a group. In effect a provisional licence holder could have insurance of a full licence holder very quickly while waiting to do the test. Other disadvantages of the provisional licence still stand: restricted to riding in Rep of Ireland and riding restricted-power bikes.

There will be info on the MAG site in the near future.

Full licence holders can also benefit, but will need training to reach the standard. Having just spoken to Aon about insurance, RoSPA Bronze would get me 15% discount and Silver/Gold another 15%. That's on top on no claims discount (10% per annum).

It would appear that only 10% of people using bikes have full licences. Holders of old provisional licences can ride unrestricted power bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Just starting out and I got the following quotes for an '82 Honda CB650 (prov A licience, can't get classic insurance 'till I have a full one :rolleyes: ):

Hibernian (web quote, wouldn't quote over the phone): €1,629 (3rd party, fire & theft)
    AON: €1,494 (3rd party, fire & theft)
    Carole Nash: 1,318 (3rd party, fire & theft), €845 (3rd party only).

Curious to know why none of them asked me if the bike was restricted? :confused:

• Advertisement

BigCon wrote:
    Just starting out and I got the following quotes for an '82 Honda CB650 (prov A licience, can't get classic insurance 'till I have a full one :rolleyes: ):

Hibernian (web quote, wouldn't quote over the phone): €1,629 (3rd party, fire & theft)
    AON: €1,494 (3rd party, fire & theft)
    Carole Nash: 1,318 (3rd party, fire & theft), €845 (3rd party only).

Curious to know why none of them asked me if the bike was restricted? :confused:

It's simple: they don't believe the bike is restricted.
    Hibernian will only recognise factory restricted engines. CN even recognise those restrictor kits. I've asked recently as I want to change bike and had suggested a couple of factory restricted bikes. They were not interested.
    AFAIK the typical restrictor kit is very simple to fit and remove, so this is why the insurance companies ignore them.
    Also I think the factory restricted engine is a recent innovation to help bike companies sell the bigger bikes and for the riders to get insurance on them. I think bikes like the Honda Bros (mentioned in another recent thread) is a Jap import and meets stricter Japanese power limits. Also many of the recent BMW bikes were limited to 100 BHP, but there is one new BMW bike that puts out >160BHP. Cannot remeber which mode, but has been something I recall seeing in MCN recently. Your 23 yo bike is unlikely to have had a factory-fitted restrictor kit and even if it did, it's unlikely to still be there 23 years on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

a_ominous wrote:
    Also I think the factory restricted engine is a recent innovation to help bike companies sell the bigger bikes and for the riders to get insurance on them.
    The downside is that the factory restrictor kit usually costs a couple of thousand to remove. Not worth it, better to sell on the bike when your restriction's over.
    a_ominous wrote:
    Your 23 yo bike is unlikely to have had a factory-fitted restrictor kit
    That's because the stupid power restriction rules were only brought in in 1999...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AndyL

BigCon wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that Hibernian only do Third Party Only or Comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I was just bout ot say the same Aon told me that they do not have a third party, fire and theft cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Sorry, Hibernian and AON were both 3rd party only... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Just recently renewed insurance for a CBR600, was with CN but HIB undercut them by ~€25 and then AON went another ~€20 lower to €489. Didn't even know that AON offered quotes outside of dealer 'til one of the guys I work with told me. Guess competition works :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

opus wrote:
    Just recently renewed insurance for a CBR600, was with CN but HIB undercut them by ~€25 and then AON went another ~€20 lower to €489. Didn't even know that AON offered quotes outside of dealer 'til one of the guys I work with told me. Guess competition works :)

I could be wrong but I believe AON have started giving quotes outside dealers and previous customers since they moved from hibernian to axa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

Finally taking the driver test for a full A license!
    Doing a "crash" course with ISM now to get some last minute duidance..

Seems like more and more are saying that the test is hard to pass?
    Doing it in Raheny..

Is there any chance to find a bike around 500cc for under €1k per year in insurance? I am 27...

regds
    Pape

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I did my test on friday and it was a doddle, the instructor followed me in his car and gave instructions on a radio headset. keep at the speed limit where possible as he marked they guy before me down for going too slow. aside from that watch your mirrors and lane position and drive in a restrained manner and its hard to fail.
    I had no training bar a pre-test session the night before to point out what i was doing wrong, and i read "Proficient motorcycling" by David L. Hough a few weeks before the test and conscioulsy made myself drive they way he describes to help break the many bad habits i'd picked up by learning myself.

Starting off with lessons will mean you're driving properly from day one and wont have to unlearn driving methods that you've picked up yourself.

Also once you get a full license you can take your bike on trackdays :D

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

I will "echo" the previous comments (har har...) I did my test 2 weeks ago, and I found it fine. Its much more natural then the old test. Observation - (Mirror, indicate, shouldercheck, move) and road position - keep close into the kerb turning left, dont cut accross the opposing lane turning right.

Ok.. that gives me a little more hope.. was kinda destroyed when reading about all people have to take it twice.. =/

Well, you might have to do it twice. It depends if you are a reasonably safe driver, and you can jump through the hoops that the test requires.

I have been driving bikes for 4 years. I started small and am working my way up:
    Ovetto MBK 50 -> Dragstar 125 -> Hornet 250 -> VFR400

I passed the "old style" A1 test on the dragstar. Of course once I got a bike bigger than 125 I was back to being a provisional again! :grrr: So I sat the A test a few months ago - the "old style" and failed due to second guessing a filter light on the circut - which used to be "left left left left x 4, U-turn, drive slow, right right right right x 4".

I found the new test fine, and more realistic. Your instructor should put you through a mock test and evaluate whether you need more lessons or not. I would hearily recommend David Llyons of www.motorbiketraining.net for a 2-4 hr pre-test. He is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dove112

ok, can someone tell me what kind of bike i can ride on a provisional liscence, all my freinds think they know, but they all say diffrent so they gotta be wrong rite! oh i live in england. btw, thanks alot!!

All I know is its different in england. You can take a fast track test which takes a couple of days, and can then drive any bike, i beleive. You would be better asking on an english bike forum.

:mad:

Finally had my A drivers test today!
    Had done everything, questions, U turn, walk with the bike, walking pace and we were on our way back to the centre..

And what happends... a FLAT TYRE!!! a f*cking flat tyre!!!

The examiner goes "We have to take this as a breakdown and schedule a new time for ya"

I give up... :(

• Advertisement

That's nuts after completing everything no wonder the waiting lists are so long if they pull stuff like that. How far from the test centre were you?

5min drive.. we were on the way back... :(

That seems a bit harsh considering it was the end of the test, he could have atleat counted it as a walking with the bike test :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Biker.ie

There's no guarantee you would have passed it anyway, although thats probably not what you want to hear. I presume you won't have to wait months on end for the re-test ? You could probably squeeze in afew more lessons between now and then.

Biker.ie:
    You're completely right... but it's still annoying.. I didn't even have the chance to fail now.. :rolleyes:
    I'm for sure going to take more lessons to the next test. Can't hurt with a couple of more..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

ninja900 wrote:
    The downside is that the factory restrictor kit usually costs a couple of thousand to remove.

I have been told €350 for installation and €100 for removal. I don't think it is actually something installed it seems to me to be maybe remapping of the engine management system.

Has anyone had any experience of http://www.aaronridertraining.com/ ?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

MrPudding wrote:
    I have been told €350 for installation
    Then it's an aftermarket restrictor you're talking about.
    No insurance discount as removal is easy.

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote:
    Then it's an aftermarket restrictor you're talking about.
    No insurance discount as removal is easy.
    No, that is a BMW certified factory install. Whilst I do tend to take sales people's word with a pinch of salt she did seem quite sincere. I didn't ask for details but it sounds like some kind of remapping, not sure though.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    No, that is a BMW certified factory install. Whilst I do tend to take sales people's word with a pinch of salt she did seem quite sincere. I didn't ask for details but it sounds like some kind of remapping, not sure though.

MrP

Don't take the sales persons word for it they don't to the insurance. Ask the (2) insurance companies. Won't take long. CN ignore restricted bikes and charge full group prices.

• Advertisement

a_ominous wrote:
    Don't take the sales persons word for it they don't to the insurance. Ask the (2) insurance companies. Won't take long. CN ignore restricted bikes and charge full group prices.
    Just spoke with Carol Nash. For a F650gs they are quoting 1200 for 3rd party and 2463 for fully comp. Not nice but then understandable for a provie with zero no claims.

MrP

Advertisement