Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Notification when eg; pump comes on?

Options
  • 05-12-2020 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Here's one for ye geniuses to chew on;
    Is is possible to get a smart notification to my phone when, for example, a pump gets called upon?
    So basically I've a 220v trigger for 'if' and I'm looking for a smart phone notification for the 'then that'...
    Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Need a bit more info on the setup
    You can get clamps that go around a live conductor that detect current and switch a dry contact for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Need a bit more info on the setup
    You can get clamps that go around a live conductor that detect current and switch a dry contact for example.

Circulating pump from boiler stove that's brought on by means of a pipe stat.. as an example.

Yeah, but you need to think about what smart controllers you have for example, but let's take the basic but first, you need a dry contact relay to flick when the pump is on.

You could do that 2 ways.

1) a cheap way is to get a standard pipe stat (like one used to turn a pump on) . You trigger that the pump is running is when the stat detects the pipe has warmed up. I had something similar in my.immersiin tank for example, but rather than wire 220v to it, I just wired a twisted pair cable to it, and the stat once hot water heated the pipe then the stat closed or opened the relay. Once your pump turns off, then the pipe cools, and the stat flicks the relay closed again.

So that's a way of triggering a relay by using the heat from the pipe to tell if there is hit water being pumped around the system or not.

2) As I mentioned above there are also current detect modules that you could wrap around the pump m 220v supply lead that flick a relay when it detects current on the feed.

So that's your trigger mechanism, either one effectively gives you a dry contact relay which you then need for a push notification. A couple of ways of doing that, but first off depends on whether you have any existing smart devices or controllers.

You could look at something like a raspberry pi running home assistant or openhab which is linked to your phone and provide you with the push notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Yeah, but you need to think about what smart controllers you have for example, but let's take the basic but first, you need a dry contact relay to flick when the pump is on.

You could do that 2 ways.

1) a cheap way is to get a standard pipe stat (like one used to turn a pump on) . You trigger that the pump is running is when the stat detects the pipe has warmed up. I had something similar in my.immersiin tank for example, but rather than wire 220v to it, I just wired a twisted pair cable to it, and the stat once hot water heated the pipe then the stat closed or opened the relay. Once your pump turns off, then the pipe cools, and the stat flicks the relay closed again.

So that's a way of triggering a relay by using the heat from the pipe to tell if there is hit water being pumped around the system or not.

2) As I mentioned above there are also current detect modules that you could wrap around the pump m 220v supply lead that flick a relay when it detects current on the feed.

So that's your trigger mechanism, either one effectively gives you a dry contact relay which you then need for a push notification. A couple of ways of doing that, but first off depends on whether you have any existing smart devices or controllers.

You could look at something like a raspberry pi running home assistant or openhab which is linked to your phone and provide you with the push notification.

Thanks for the replies.
    Had the dry contact trigger sussed out ok, was hoping there'd be an 'off the shelf' solution for the notification side of things.
    I have a few hue bulbs and their associated hub, have a Hive for my gas heating and a few sonoff devices too.
    Was thinking to using a sonoff door/window sensor with a little electomagnet off the stat via a relay to trigger it, so might go that way perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Doesn't sonoff have a heating controller that does that

• Advertisement

Mugser wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    Had the dry contact trigger sussed out ok, was hoping there'd be an 'off the shelf' solution for the notification side of things.
    I have a few hue bulbs and their associated hub, have a Hive for my gas heating and a few sonoff devices too.
    Was thinking to using a sonoff door/window sensor with a little electomagnet off the stat via a relay to trigger it, so might go that way perhaps.

The sonoff sensor would probably be the solution so, but I'd prob pull one apart and see about wiring it directly to your dry contact, should be straight forward enough.

Advertisement