Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The state of comments online about road traffic deaths and cycling

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

https://www.thejournal.ie/clancy-amendment-5277149-Nov2020

So many commenters seem to be of the opinion that it's ok to drive without a licence. This is what you're up against.

My favourite one, it's actually scary

Ah sure it's only 35 people killed by people who weren't on the road legally.

I'm having a debate with some tool on FB who thinks it perfectly OK to drive with out motor tax or insurance or a valid NCT. Quote (his reply to a car being seized by gardai on a FB story):

"The person might be out of work because this so called government has closedown a lot of places to work and it’s not that easy to be coming up with money never mind Xmas is around the corner give them the benefit of the doubt."

The mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 24,301 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I'm having a debate with some tool on FB who thinks it perfectly OK to drive with out motor tax or insurance or a valid NCT. Quote (his reply to a car being seized by gardai on a FB story):

"The person might be out of work because this so called government has closedown a lot of places to work and it’s not that easy to be coming up with money never mind Xmas is around the corner give them the benefit of the doubt."

The mind boggles

As soon as the term "so called government" is used I'd give up on them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

breezy1985 wrote: »
    As soon as the term "so called government" is used I'd give up on them

They usually try and blame the Greens too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

SeanW wrote: »
    So if the government raises VRT, (or fuel duty, or road/"motor" tax) by €1,000 per year, that means the cost to society has risen by €9200 per year? By that calculation, the cost to society as determined by taxes levied on Irish motorists is €49.68 billion (motoring taxes net €5.4 billion per year) and that's just from what people spend on motoring related taxes. If you include the portion of Irish motorist expenditure that is not taxation (hypothetically let's guesstimate that tax takes up 1/3 of a motorists expenditure) then that means - according to your twitter post - that motoring costs the Irish people €149.04 billion per year. All of that with absolutely zero benefits to the people from personal mobility, the delivery of goods etc.

(€5.4 * 3 * 9.2 = €149.04)

I would love to see the details for how your study can prove that motoring costs the Irish people anything like that ... all with no benefits to society for such an inordinate sum.

So if you quadruple one figure then the other figures don't make sense? Yeah, I guess that's why you don't just quadruple figures at random.

They're not my figures and they're not Irish figures, but they raise some interesting questions.

How far do we go on the benefits calculation that you mention? Can we include the near halving of cancer rates for cyclists in the benefit side of the analysis?

https://twitter.com/JamesCun2000/status/1334148765758992392

Scooterists on footpaths are a problem now too!

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/JamesCun2000/status/1334148765758992392

Scooterists on footpaths are a problem now too!

Did the van driver say something?

Also shocking number of cars driving on footpaths there

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Get off the footpath. Footpaths are driving and parking on, not riding scooters on".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

huh, i was talking to their boss a couple of years ago. they gave us a quote to replace the windows here.

"Can't you just go round? A man's got a job to do."

"Can't you just go round? A man's got a job to do."
    Stark wrote: »
    "Get off the footpath. Footpaths are driving and parking on, not riding scooters on".

Thanks all I could hear were a few seconds of noise

Edit: Are ye pulling my leg cause even with really good headphones I heard nothing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know this will add nothing to the debate, but it is kinda funny.

https://twitter.com/theeyecollector/status/1334823776727527426

i know this will add nothing to the debate, but it is kinda funny.

https://twitter.com/theeyecollector/status/1334823776727527426

Very good

Edit: Are ye pulling my leg cause even with really good headphones I heard nothing

Tom will explain all;

So if you ever want to murder teenage girls, just use a car and there will be no repercussions

https://www.thejournal.ie/mother-drove-at-teenagers-suspended-jailterm-5300808-Dec2020/

So if you ever want to murder teenage girls, just use a car and there will be no repercussions

https://www.thejournal.ie/mother-drove-at-teenagers-suspended-jailterm-5300808-Dec2020/

"I'll go to jail for ya" she roared, but she gets a suspended sentance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭SeanW

Nah, it's OK, there are a wide variety of things you can do that will get you a suspended sentence in this country. In just the past few weeks, suspended sentences have been give out to kiddie fiddlers, scam artists, violent scumbags who attack nurses, wife beaters, animal abusers etc. just in the past few weeks. Concurrent sentencing is another joke in this country, but that's beside the point.

There is also a well documented phenomenon in the West of women, by virtue of their gender, receiving shorter or no sentences for the same crimes as men.

Yet even if the underlying implication was sound, i.e. that "motorists" have a license to commit crimes against "people", more often the reverse is true. That when when "people" commit crimes against "motorists" they are rarely if ever punished.

Like this pair of insurance scammers: https://www.thesun.ie/news/6279698/couple-car-accidents-court-empty-handed-minor-brush/
    or this little scumbag cyclist:
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/youth-filmed-cycling-bike-dublin-22782527

But hey, if you have evidence that it was the car, and not Irish sentencing guidelines, nor gender, that was the determining factor in giving her a suspended sentence, that would be good.

In fact, there's been a lot of questionable assertions on this thread that could use some evidence.

Yeah Sean it's just another example of the real dangers on the roads/footpaths, yet we have Pat Kenny etc moaning about cyclists on footpaths all the time when they aren't a danger at all.

Huh? How is this not just another example of a scumbag getting a free pass because of her gender and/or Ireland's broken justice system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Duckjob wrote: »
    https://ecf.com/news-and-events/news/tax-breaks-bike-commuters-european-trend

There's a reason governments of countries in mainland Europe are now investing heavily in proper cycle infrastructure and actually going so far as giving people per km tax breaks to cycle to work.

It's not some altruistic act on the part of those governments - they understand that it's an incredibly sound investment, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

All that would happen in Ireland is people will buy the tax rebated bikes (or lawnmowers invoiced as bikes) as they are already doing, then claim the milage cycling tax relief, all the while just continuing driving into work and chatting in the canteen to their colleagues what a grand little scam they have going on claiming bike milage and drving a car.

Like this pair of insurance scammers: https://www.thesun.ie/news/6279698/couple-car-accidents-court-empty-handed-minor-brush/
    or this little scumbag cyclist:
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/youth-filmed-cycling-bike-dublin-22782527

But hey, if you have evidence that it was the car, and not Irish sentencing guidelines, nor gender, that was the determining factor in giving her a suspended sentence, that would be good.

In fact, there's been a lot of questionable assertions on this thread that could use some evidence.

Speaking of evidence, there has been a lot more cases in Court of crimes against motorists by motorists than crimes against motorists by cyclists.

• Advertisement

Speaking of evidence, there has been a lot more cases in Court of crimes against motorists by motorists than crimes against motorists by cyclists.
    You're probably right in as much as that little **** will probably never see the inside of a courtroom unless it's to push that or another fraudulent claim. Even then he likely won't see the inside of a courtroom because the insurance company will probably settle, helping increase Ireland's already absurd insurance rates.

But speaking of evidence, the cyclists on this thread have made or inferred a lot of questionable assertions. Evidence for any of them would be great:
    1. The OP started with a claim that a fatality on Main Street, Charleville, Co. Cork was caused by "Irish planning" and had nothing to do with the fact that the "street" in question is also the main road between Ireland's 2nd and 3rd largest cities. The implication was that in a "proper" country with "proper" planning, street-road hybrids like the N20 would "work" and have a good safety record. No evidence was provided of course because street-road hybrids have bad safety records anywhere in the world that they are in service. And I know from personal experience that even if street-road hybrids don't get people killed, they do make the towns they go through unpleasant to live/work/shop in.
    2. Here we had a claim that Ireland was a "socially immature country" with "deep seated insecurities" that cause whatever the hell you people are droning on about, which seems bizarre considering that Ireland is hardly the only country in the world where people drive cars but we are easily among the top 10 for road safety.
    3. An unfounded accusation of murder. Zero evidence of mens rhea.
    4. Accusations that the RSA pulls figures out of their rear-ends.
    5. An unfounded accusation of Nazi-ism against a major newspaper. Zero evidence provided that they support gassing Jews, exterminating homosexuals, kidnapping mothers with two children and forcing her to choose which child is killed etc.
    6. An implied claim that every euro an Irish motorist spends (much of which is in tax, insurance and other regulatory costs) costs "society" €9.2. No evidence provided for the Irish context.
    7. A bizarre claim that owning a car gives someone a pass to attempt murder on Irish roads. Of course, zero evidence that it was that car that got her a suspended sentence, zero evidence that a suspended sentence for serious crime is unusual in this country, and zero evidence that the perp didn't get a free pass owing to her gender.
    Most of the above claims not only were accompanied by zero evidence, but were either explicitly disprovable by the evidence, or not credible on the balance of probabilities. Of course, there's been so much specious nonsense, and borderline gaslighting that I've probably missed some in the above list.

[*]An unfounded accusation of Nazi-ism against a major newspaper. Zero evidence provided that they support gassing Jews, exterminating homosexuals, kidnapping mothers with two children and forcing her to choose which child is killed etc.
    genuine question, is this for real?

Go take a lie down Sean, Happy Christmas.

someone was arrested, must be drink driving, ignore this.

Post edited by Thelonious Monk on

Advertisement