Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Disappointed that there are no lightstrip offers. I'm guessing that's because the latest version of the lightstrip is too new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Here's another bargain, starter kit for less than half price I believe

https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=15051&langId=111&productId=1732526

I bought the above to go with an Ambilight TV that will reach me from Amazon at some stage.

I have a question though: If I'm watching TV and have the lights on to mimic TV, is it difficult to switch them off, or switch them, or one of them, to normal lighting (as in standard white light?) and then back to TV mode if I want?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

JCDUB wrote: »

Thats only a '2 bulb' starter kit though, so for an extra roughly €26 you get the 3rd bulb from Amazon. Still a good deal for 2 bulbs and a bridge...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I'm changing a series of 5 lights from the halogen bulbs (pin-type bulb holder) to hue. I did one set, and then tested, but the hue app didn't find the hue bulb.

It could be because i still had the other 4 halogens connected but there's a transformer at each fitting - is that needed for the gu10 hue bulbs or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ablelocks wrote: »
    I'm changing a series of 5 lights from the halogen bulbs (pin-type bulb holder) to hue. I did one set, and then tested, but the hue app didn't find the hue bulb.

It could be because i still had the other 4 halogens connected but there's a transformer at each fitting - is that needed for the gu10 hue bulbs or not?
    No these are 230v don't put on a transformer set up....

If a bulb isn't reachable then you can input manually with the individual number on each lamp.

• Advertisement

A pro tip for when your struggling to pair bulbs is to put the bulb in a fitting as close to the bridge as possible, and if still having an issue, input the serial number and search that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭ablelocks

so I need to remove the transformer then and connect bulb holder directly to electric cable?

ablelocks wrote: »
    so I need to remove the transformer then and connect bulb holder directly to electric cable?

So transformer are for low voltage lamps, you would need to change the tails anyway.

Obviously make sure no power, disconnect the transformer, you will then need the new tail/holder to connect to the live and neutral terminal in connector block.
    It doesn't matter what way around as tails don't matter.

All hue are 230v and not to be connected to low voltage transformer.

Any other issues let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Got some filament bulbs, very disappointed with the light output. They are only good as "mood" light, not much else. I think I ll be sending them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭Ryath

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Got some filament bulbs, very disappointed with the light output. They are only good as "mood" light, not much else. I think I ll be sending them back.

Got two with the dimmer offer to try. Light is poor off them all alright. Have them in the hall so ok there. Would be ok brightness wise in a fitting that could take 3 maybe but the color is a bit orange.

Was hoping I could use them in sitting and dining room as we have LED filament bubs there. Hopefully they release 800 lumen white ambience version where you can adjust the temperature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Have two spare Gen 2 bridges if anyone needs one. New, came in starter packs

AstraMonti wrote: »

These really are for show purpose to be fair....

I'd be putting in say 2 or 3 in the kitchen as show lamps.
    They look great but I definitely would want other lighting too say like down lighters and so on....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

These really are for show purpose to be fair....

I'd be putting in say 2 or 3 in the kitchen as show lamps.
    They look great but I definitely would want other lighting too say like down lighters and so on....

Yeah I put them in pendant lights in the kitchen, but they were too orange-y and very poor to light even the island surface. They do look cool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I bought 5 and not happy... The light from them is orange. Problem is that my light fittings need a visible bulb.

I believe IKEA have smart filament bulbs... Are they easy to integrate into the hue system?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭Ryath

The ikea one is even dimmer @250 lumens. Not quite as orange at 2200k vs 2100K not by much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I bought 5 and not happy... The light from them is orange. Problem is that my light fittings need a visible bulb.

I believe IKEA have smart filament bulbs... Are they easy to integrate into the hue system?

Hue does not officially support them, but the first Zigbee Light protocol is still supported by Hue and IKEA bulbs can be paired with the bridge. It is not as stable as genuine Hue bulbs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

Why are you using the normal switch? that kind of defeats the purpose of Philips Hue!!

The power switch should be left 'always on' and then all your control is via the app or routines.... or dimmer switches (which are a great addition for 'non players' who dont want to faff about with apps!!

Do you roughly turn them on/off at the same time every day? if so, just set up a routine to do it.

Routine 1 for example can turn the lights on at 4pm with a 30 minute fade to the savanah scene. The same routine can turn them off again at a set time, but they just go straight off, and you don't get the option to fade them off, so a pro tip is to have 2 routines, 1 to turn them on with a fade, and if you want them to fade off, another separate routine to do just that.
    A routine to turn the light off in the morning (rather than cutting power to it) would solve your problem.

To answer your original question, the best 3rd party Hue app I've found is Hue Essentials. Free to download (iOS and Android), and then some one-time in-app purchases for Premium features if you want.

https://www.hueessentials.com/

Right lads.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it must be something.

In the official Hue app, I've set up a couple of routines for the lights outside the house, wake up and go to sleep.
    I've wake up set to come on at 16:00, fade in for 30 minutes.
    I've go to sleep set for 08:00, fade out for 30 minutes.
    There's nowhere in the routine settings to set the colour, so I manually change the bulbs to red (I've given up trying to do a scene!).
    I've changed the power on options for the 4 bulbs to red.

But every day, they default to their normal colour!

Like I said, I'm obviously missing a trick somewhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

This doesn't bode well for my gradient lightstrip and sync box! :o

The problem is you are using the Wake Up & Go To Sleep routines.....

They are for specifically for waking you up in a bedroom (or wherever you sleep), and as such, use one of the ambient light settings.

Cancel the wake up & go to sleep routines, and set up the routines in ‘Other Routines’, then it will allow you to select a scene of your choosing to activate at this time.

Even if you have a room on red, if ‘Go to Sleep’ activates, it will first change the room from red to relax, and then fade out to off....

Wake up, by default comes on in a natural white colour (to try and wake you up peacefully with natural light.... and you cannot change this), same as ‘Go to Sleep’.

See here the Other Routines, you can select what scene turns on at each timer... you can’t do that in Wake Up or Go to Sleep

534701.png
    534702.png

Sound Andy.

I removed those two routines, and actually set one up using the Christmas scene in the Hue Essentials App. Will see how it goes today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭fafy

Picked up some outdoor lights via Philips UK website, got 25% off when i bought two outdoor lights, and free delivery to Parcel Motel. Got two of the Discover Outdoor Floodlight - Colour models for £225, normally would be £300.

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/products/promotions

Some deals on indoor Hue items also.

This Philips Deal, expires later this week.

There were some bundled deals on Amazon.co.uk as well on outdoor Philips Hue “Appear” lights + Hue Bridge or Hue Dimmer switches, Got two for £180, and the bundles included a Hue Bridge 2.0 + a Hue dimmer switch, would normally be £300 +

Any good Christmas scenes out there for outdoor lights on a house?

Soarer wrote: »
    Any good Christmas scenes out there for outdoor lights on a house?

Just create your own static scene, as any other dynamic changing scenes will always need the app running in the background sonic you go to the shop with your phone, the scenes will freeze....

Just have some nice scenes you make yourself set to run on routines..

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Hi, is this a ok deal for starter pack in Currys?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭ted1

IKEKA are selling similar next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUPMPzroz3w

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/smart-home/livarno-lux-smart-colour-change-led-light-bulb/p56063

€15 a bulba and a gateway for 25

so 70 euro for same package

ted1 wrote: »
    IKEKA are selling similar next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUPMPzroz3w

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/smart-home/livarno-lux-smart-colour-change-led-light-bulb/p56063

€15 a bulba and a gateway for 25

so 70 euro for same package

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll stick to Philips from what I've read from other threads on IOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Hi, is this a ok deal for starter pack in Currys?

Not bad, but only if you need a bridge.

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Not bad, but only if you need a bridge.

Yes I need a bridge, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Has anyone else notice similar with their own Hue Hub/Lights - after my Hue Hub updated a few days ago (first hub update in a while, normally it's just the lights getting updates), my 'wake up' routine started going wonky - lights turning on like 2 hours later and I'm waking up in the dark to my alarm clock! Evening 'lights off routine' is still grand.
    When I go into routines, 'wake up' isn't in the list, but I can't re-add it as the name already exists (so I recreated with a slightly different name, let's see if the lights come on tomorrow as scheduled)

And to be safe, in case I turned them off in my sleep, I checked my Google Assistant activity (I'm a Google Gal, no Alexa) and there were no 'turn off the lights' commands sleep talking (I have been known to snooze my phone alarm in my sleep, so I had to check!)

All very strange. I don't want to reset the hub as I have it exactly as I want it (or had it until a few days ago), but if things don't resolve I may resort to that. The last time I did that I had to re-add all the lights by serial number as it wasn't having anything to do with 'scan for lights'...

• Advertisement

Mod Snip. Removed comment

Advertisement