Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrading Internal WIFI card - Slim 1-11AST-05 Laptop (ideapad) - Type 81VR

• 01-12-2020 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi all,

Bought a very cheap Laptop to basically just use for Zoom etc. However I am having issues with the Wifi speeds, for example using the Wifi speeds on my phone are 6 times quicker than on the laptop.

This in effect hampers me actually using the laptop for the basic tasks of what I bought it for. There is ongoing issues apparently with the Wifi card as installed the Qualcomm QCA. Basically there is a work around with disabling the QoS settings on your Router, but you can't do this with Virgin Media.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ie/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-s-series-netbooks/slim-1-11ast-05/81vr

Does anyone know whether I can replace the Wifi card, and if so what Wifi Card would be suitable and where in Dublin could you get this done?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hi all,

Bought a very cheap Laptop to basically just use for Zoom etc. However I am having issues with the Wifi speeds, for example using the Wifi speeds on my phone are 6 times quicker than on the laptop.

This in effect hampers me actually using the laptop for the basic tasks of what I bought it for. There is ongoing issues apparently with the Wifi card as installed the Qualcomm QCA. Basically there is a work around with disabling the QoS settings on your Router, but you can't do this with Virgin Media.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ie/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-s-series-netbooks/slim-1-11ast-05/81vr

Does anyone know whether I can replace the Wifi card, and if so what Wifi Card would be suitable and where in Dublin could you get this done?

Thanks

Honestly, the chances of changing the internal WiFi card are somewhere between slim and none.

However, you can just plug in a new USB WiFi adapter. Something like this. No idea if it's any good or not.

Advertisement