Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

If we had the setup we have now, back in winter we would be buried in snow, but I'm sure the azores high will be right back with us come November.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

If we had the setup we have now, back in winter we would be buried in snow, but I'm sure the azores high will be right back with us come November.
    Yeah lots of snow , and hopefully it wont come back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

someone told me today, that we are going to have a very bad september, can weather be predicted that far ahead

goat2 wrote: »
    someone told me today, that we are going to have a very bad september, can weather be predicted that far ahead
    Bad as in rain was it lol we cant get any worse then may and june both cold and wet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Iceball

mcriot29 wrote: »
    Weather action have a new page out today they say little ice age type weather this month, if this keeps up id say we have a good chance of getting some action

That thing weather action is talking about is the NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation). Its the pressure difference between Iceland and the Azores. When its negative it tends to put a north or east influnce on the weather in ireland and uk, when its possitive it tends to put a west or southwest influnce on the weather. http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/datgeneral.aspx?type=nao
    Check out http://www.facebook.com/raysweather.pageireland .
    Hes great at listing all this and is usually bang on with winter weather and if he dosnt know somthing no one will but hes not afraid to admit it !
    He recently explained the the last negative phase was a record 14 months long' beating the old record of 9 months by 5 months. The phase lasted from sept 09 to jan 11 when the freezes ended and is easy see what he means. Heres an extract from his page which he posted earlier in the week. He also do have a solar expert come on to his page from time to time with some very valuable information.

***WINTER ***
    Note
    NAO= North Atlantic Oscillation
    AO= Arctic Oscilation

Ye all may remember how I said last Winter it is a \/ery difficult one to forecast unlike the pre\/ious two and I wouldnt budge futher out than two weeks but just ga\/e percentages. Well this year seems to be shaping up a little different and a repeat pattern of Winter 2009/2010 is a \/ery big possibility. Its early days yet but just because last Winter was mild don't let up your guard and you may all remember where I warned about this last Winter " Cold Winters come tend to come in clusters with some of the mildest ones mixed in" and "Don't let your guard up if this is a mild Winter' I feel the big one is still yet to come"
    I did think if we were going to get a big freeze last Winter it would be later on in Winter and I was right as Europe was plunged into a deep freeze late in the season. Howe\/er due to a \/ery positi\/e NAO the cold did not penetrate to this side of the Irish Sea.
    The NAO has flipped negati\/e now for the last se\/eral weeks and as I said many times on the page if this were Winter it would be \/ery cold with hugh snowfalls.
    So let take this into mind. The last negati\/e NAO lasted a record 14 months from around Sept 2009 - Jan 2011. The pre\/ious record was 9 months standing since records began around 100 years ago. So with us into the 2nd month of a \/ery negati\/e NAO will it last another 4 r 5 months to take us into the Winter months ? and if it do there is a 1 in 2 chance the AO will flip to meet it or will the NAO last e\/en longer to meet a negati\/e AO later on in Winter ?
    There ye go people put that into perspecti\/e and its not so hard to see where I'm comming from howe\/er this is not a Winter forecast but some early Winter thoughts and for now I'm going for cold - se\/ere cold , maybe e\/en \/ery se\/ere cold !!

2 July at 09:23
    By the way is anyone here suscribed to weatherbell ( the site at which joe bastardi works ) ?? :)

• Advertisement

Iceball wrote: »
    Weather action have a new page out today they say little ice age type weather this month, if this keeps up id say we have a good chance of getting some action

That thing weather action is talking about is the NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation). Its the pressure difference between Iceland and the Azores. When its negative it tends to put a north or east influnce on the weather in ireland and uk, when its possitive it tends to put a west or southwest influnce on the weather. http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/datgeneral.aspx?type=nao
    Check out http://www.facebook.com/raysweather.pageireland .
    Hes great at listing all this and is usually bang on with winter weather and if he dosnt know somthing no one will but hes not afraid to admit it !
    He recently explained the the last negative phase was a record 14 months long' beating the old record of 9 months by 5 months. The phase lasted from sept 09 to jan 11 when the freezes ended and is easy see what he means. Heres an extract from his page which he posted earlier in the week. He also do have a solar expert come on to his page from time to time with some very valuable information.

***WINTER ***
    Note
    NAO= North Atlantic Oscillation
    AO= Arctic Oscilation

Ye all may remember how I said last Winter it is a \/ery difficult one to forecast unlike the pre\/ious two and I wouldnt budge futher out than two weeks but just ga\/e percentages. Well this year seems to be shaping up a little different and a repeat pattern of Winter 2009/2010 is a \/ery big possibility. Its early days yet but just because last Winter was mild don't let up your guard and you may all remember where I warned about this last Winter " Cold Winters come tend to come in clusters with some of the mildest ones mixed in" and "Don't let your guard up if this is a mild Winter' I feel the big one is still yet to come"
    I did think if we were going to get a big freeze last Winter it would be later on in Winter and I was right as Europe was plunged into a deep freeze late in the season. Howe\/er due to a \/ery positi\/e NAO the cold did not penetrate to this side of the Irish Sea.
    The NAO has flipped negati\/e now for the last se\/eral weeks and as I said many times on the page if this were Winter it would be \/ery cold with hugh snowfalls.
    So let take this into mind. The last negati\/e NAO lasted a record 14 months from around Sept 2009 - Jan 2011. The pre\/ious record was 9 months standing since records began around 100 years ago. So with us into the 2nd month of a \/ery negati\/e NAO will it last another 4 r 5 months to take us into the Winter months ? and if it do there is a 1 in 2 chance the AO will flip to meet it or will the NAO last e\/en longer to meet a negati\/e AO later on in Winter ?
    There ye go people put that into perspecti\/e and its not so hard to see where I'm comming from howe\/er this is not a Winter forecast but some early Winter thoughts and for now I'm going for cold - se\/ere cold , maybe e\/en \/ery se\/ere cold !!

2 July at 09:23
    By the way is anyone here suscribed to weatherbell ( the site at which joe bastardi works ) ?? :)
    This book looks good for anyone into mini ice age
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53913.The_Little_Ice_Age
    On ebay for 10e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Iceball

On ebay for 10e

Orderd :P:P

On ebay for 10e

Seems this is a year with no summer uk are saying worst on record
    http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2012/07/07/chaos-in-skies-over-britain-forecasters-describe-horrific-summer-as-the-worst-since-records-began/
    Could winter be bad lets hope so

On ebay for 10e

Seems this is a year with no summer uk are saying worst on record
    http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2012/07/07/chaos-in-skies-over-britain-forecasters-describe-horrific-summer-as-the-worst-since-records-began/
    Could winter be bad lets hope so
    Heres a great site shows all info on summers winter trough mini ice ages , notice most wet cold summers had very cold winters
    http://booty.org.uk/booty.weather/climate/1700_1749.htm
    At end pf page you can jump to next 50 years up to 1949

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think this winter will be pretty average...just like last winter. So unless we are in a freak deep freeze by October I will probably vote that way in the inevitable Winter Forecast comp. :)

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I think this winter will be pretty average...just like last winter. So unless we are in a freak deep freeze by October I will probably vote that way in the inevitable Winter Forecast comp. :)
    Why do you think this , any reasons or just a gut feeling

I simply cannot envision a whole year of unusually high pressure like we had so far...sooner or later the Atlantic lows will pile in and that means mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭chrisjdoran

The solar activity is about to ramp up, i'm sure this will throw a few loops here and there for forecasters, I feel it will be a wet winter, weather it's cold enough for snow is the real question.. i hope so.

Not sure what to think is going to happen when things get cold this year, bring it on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQS07h4qWKA&feature=plcp

The solar activity is about to ramp up, i'm sure this will throw a few loops here and there for forecasters, I feel it will be a wet winter, weather it's cold enough for snow is the real question.. i hope so.
    Hey i dont think it will ramp up much there telling us that for past year and its still low

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Please let it be a wonderfully white snowfest this winter. :)
    Last winter was the worst I have ever witnessed.
    In all my years alive, every winter there is some kind of snow, even it's the gone-by-lunchtime type. But last winter, I didn't see one flake of snow. :eek:

So this year I am holding out for the good stuff. :)

I do hope we get one 'gone by lunchtime' snowfall this coming winter...which would be average for where I live. I hope to see nothing more than that this winter.

I thoroughly enjoyed the record temperature last christmas day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Meteo france's Yan Giezendanner has forecast an early start to the winter in the alps!

He says there will be snowfall down to 2000 metres by the end of september.

That's -8 850's:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I do hope we get one 'gone by lunchtime' snowfall this coming winter...which would be average for where I live. I hope to see nothing more than that this winter.

Oh im determined you won't get your way this year :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

:D

2632282_b9680ddcdf_z.jpg

• Advertisement

t|nt|n wrote: »

Oh im determined you won't get your way this year :D:pac:
    My prediction is -25 10 foot of snow for xmas day 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

wing52 wrote: »
    Meteo france's Yan Giezendanner has forecast an early start to the winter in the alps!

He says there will be snowfall down to 2000 metres by the end of september.

That's -8 850's:eek::eek::eek:

No it's nowhere near as low as -8, that would be for snow down to a couple of hundred metres. For snow down to 2000 m in the Alps even +5 would be cold enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I can't wait for winter I hate summer, yes I like a sun holiday but I hate this mild sticky warm weather.
    Roll on winter and I'd love -10 for a few months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I can't wait for winter I hate summer, yes I like a sun holiday but I hate this mild sticky warm weather.
    Roll on winter and I'd love -10 for a few months :)

I am the same. I work better in the cold.

Saying that this summer is not too bad for the cold lovers. Not much suffering on my end. I know a few people who consider this payback for a warm winter.

I would suffer hot temperatures during the summer if I knew we would get a cold winter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I simply cannot envision a whole year of unusually high pressure like we had so far...sooner or later the Atlantic lows will pile in and that means mild.

Have we had a year of unusually high pressure ?

Cant really recall many spells of high pressure this year at all , mother nature has been riding her low horse a awful lot this year it seems to me.

Have the Atlantic lows not been piling in most of the year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I'd say he's talking about the Greenland blocking highs of late. We're stuck in a trough because of it. Looks like a change coming soon as global pattern shifts. However looks more zonal than ridging. Still it gives a better change of some Azores ridging to have a say because as things stand It has none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Didn't the Azores high set its up over Oreland quite a few times over the winter? Christmas being an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Nabber wrote: »
    Didn't the Azores high set its up over Oreland quite a few times over the winter? Christmas being an example.
    Yes it had a large influence on our last winter ,that was why it was so mild,azores high in winter is not good for cold lovers and snow bunnies:(

Hey i dont think it will ramp up much there telling us that for past year and its still low

I know NASA revised it's solar cycle max from 2011 to 2013, the first deviation in 300 years of solar obs'.. http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/info/SolarMax.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I know NASA revised it's solar cycle max from 2011 to 2013, the first deviation in 300 years of solar obs'.. http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/info/SolarMax.pdf
    In English ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement