Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** All things Debs **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

eman129 wrote: »
    So I have my debs in about a month, and I'm just wondering if I still have to get my date a corsage if its my debs? Also, do I still have to get her mother chocolates? Could anyone give like a summary of how the day is meant to go, like the girl coming to my house etc etc..

I had never heard of these corsage things before boards. Maybe it's something that's just not done where I live. I intend to buy a box of chocolates and maybe a cheap bottle of champagne or wine if I can't stretch that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭teadrinker96

Hey so the debs is fast approaching (5 weeks ) and right now I'm questioning whether or not to go . I've weighed up the pros and cons but still can't decide whether to go because if I don't go I might regret it!What should I do ? Is anyone on here willing to share their debs experience and help me decide :D thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you're a girl, the expense is a big factor. Think of the nice things you could buy yourself for that money.
    For boys, the expense isn't as big, but it's still a bit of a rip off in terms of what you get for your money when there. Don't be expecting haute cuisine in the food department.

It's not a 'have to do' thing really. If lack of a date is an issue, by all means go on your own. Up to you whether you would feel you'd missed out on something.

Some people spend on one night as much as would get you a week in the sun, which always seemed a bit mad to me.

exactly ! The idea of buying a 150 + euro dress for one night has always seemed ridiculous to me . Still , I can't decide whether or not to go

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

I had my debs last year was great Craic ! It's your last night out with your whole year make the most of it and dressing up for the occasion and seeing everyone else being fancy makes it more sophisticated or something :P

• Advertisement

so you reckon it was worth going ? :o lots of my friends go on about how overrated it was xD

so you reckon it was worth going ? :o lots of my friends go on about how overrated it was xD

For me it was a fantastic night but mine was a country debs and we went to somewhere two hours away so we had great craic on the bus as well! I know my friend from limerick had a terrible debs and they got sent home early, we didn't make it home until 7am so it's the luck of the draw too :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

exactly ! The idea of buying a 150 + euro dress for one night has always seemed ridiculous to me .
    1) Don't spend €150 on it.

2) Get one which you can use again in college; most students will end up going to one of the balls or posher events at some stage in their career

(if you do decide to go, that is)
    Midkemia wrote: »
    ... so it's the luck of the draw too :P
    That's it exactly. Every year here we have people going "great night, wouldn't have missed it for the world!" and "that was a complete dud, waste of money!"

Depends a lot on your class, your friend group, where it's held, etc. etc.

As a general observation, it seems to me over the years that it's often the ones which aren't over-hyped with people going to town on dresses and fuss and competing to out-Jones their neighbour which turn out to be enjoyable / memorable nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

I didn't go to my debs last year and don't regret it one bit. The hype kinda put me off, tbh. I was single, didn't really have any close lad mates, and didn't want to fork over an extra 90 euro (the cost of our tickets) for some lad I barely knew. I also didn't want the hassle of going alone. I think 2 girls out of ~100 that went, went alone, and people still talk about them. Sad but yeah. Costs included, it seemed massively not worth it.

I've been to 3 college balls this year and have had unbelievable craic. Just as fancy but massively relaxed compared to the debs. Everyone went in one huge mixed group for a start, no dates. We all got taxis to the venue and pre-drank, cutting out massive expenses on limos and over-priced hotel drink. Most girls didn't bother getting hair/makeup done professionally so it didn't feel like a competition. The only main expense was your dress and your ticket.

Don't get me wrong, the fancy dress-up ball/debs is a great experience. But if you're planning on going on to college next year and you're not pushed about going to your debs, don't feel as if you'll miss out too much as you'll absolutely have the experience later on.

In the exact same boat as you were whoopsadaissy , don't have anyone I know to bring so I'll end up dishing out 90 euro on a chap I don't even know , that is if I even find one in five weeks! It's good to hear that college balls are great craic because if I don't end up going to my debs at least there'll be plenty more at college :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭ Brantley Poor Rant

I still dont have the balls to ask, when i think about it makes me feel like my heart is in my mouth D':

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Don't ask, don't get. And if you're as lucky as you say you are, you'll have no problems.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

This thread is making me realise how much I'm procrastinating for the debs. Don't have a dress or a date. And I can't simply decide against bringing a date cos we had to buy the tickets in november. Anyone know anywhere for cheapish debs dresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

OMGeary wrote: »
    This thread is making me realise how much I'm procrastinating for the debs. Don't have a dress or a date. And I can't simply decide against bringing a date cos we had to buy the tickets in november. Anyone know anywhere for cheapish debs dresses.

I'd recommend to rent a dress, they can be €150 for 3 days rental in comparison to buying a dress for maybe €300 that you'll never wear again?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

gracew wrote:
    I'd recommend to rent a dress, they can be €150 for 3 days rental in comparison to buying a dress for maybe €300 that you'll never wear again?

Tbh 150 sounds alot for a dress even if I was buying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you're going to spend money on a dress, get a proper dress that you can wear again for weddings, formal evenings and the like.

How much are lads spending on their full suits?

How much are lads spending on their full suits?

Mine was around €250 for 3 piece suit, shirt, tie and shoes. It's probably not bad value considering I can wear it to weddings, college balls etc. in the next few years.

Alright lads got one, thing is i dont want her at my house is it not normal to meet up at parents house etc? Dont feel comfortable :( and i dont have an excuse ..

Alright lads got one, thing is i dont want her at my house is it not normal to meet up at parents house etc? Dont feel comfortable :( and i dont have an excuse ..

I thought it was more normal to meet up at the girls house. That's what I did anyway. I think all of my friends went to the girls house. It's not actually that bad. It was a bit daunting at first with brothers, sisters, cousins etc. there but once you get the champagne into you you'll be grand ;)

• Advertisement

Blue giant wrote: »
    I thought it was more normal to meet up at the girls house. That's what I did anyway. I think all of my friends went to the girls house. It's not actually that bad. It was a bit daunting at first with brothers, sisters, cousins etc. there but once you get the champagne into you you'll be grand ;)

Oh girls house? Then i'm grand haha , big relief

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sponge151

lookiing at all the prices of the tickets for the debs there so cheap :O mine was a 150 for two tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jwizzle

I'm stressing out about the debs! I bought two tickets then refunded them so I'd have money for another event that' was grand I went to th event and now two lads in my year have asked me to go I've said maybe to one and no to the other one but the truth is I really want to go but I've no money and I can't see my parents giving me money.. On average how much money would I need for the night it's self I think I might be able to get a dress in a charity shop of I'm lucky but seriously how much money should i bring for drink etc etc

Jwizzle wrote: »
    I'm stressing out about the debs! I bought two tickets then refunded them so I'd have money for another event that' was grand I went to th event and now two lads in my year have asked me to go I've said maybe to one and no to the other one but the truth is I really want to go but I've no money and I can't see my parents giving me money.. On average how much money would I need for the night it's self I think I might be able to get a dress in a charity shop of I'm lucky but seriously how much money should i bring for drink etc etc

You can do it easily on €50 but if your really low on money you could convince a few to buy you drinks and whatever and get away wih €20

Well I spent about €100 just on drinks. That included drinks for other people though. It wasn't just me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

To save money on alcohol, buy a cheap Naggin of vodka (Barovski is a popular cheap brand, usually €6 or so) and buy minerals to mix if you don't like it straight. My friends and I normally buy 2 Naggins each for a night out and split a bottle of coke between us.

If you want to buy alcohol at the actual event, depends on your tolerance and price of drink. Some people might be gone after 3 pints and others would need to have much more to get a buzz. I would say €35 Max given that the places may have "watered down" pints and also may be expensive or even inflate the price throughout the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sponge151

has anyone ever had there debs our even gone to the killkeny ormand hotel on a night out what are they like for prices on drink ?

Is 250 way too much to spend on a debs dress ? Can't find any that suit me haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jwizzle

My dress was €20 brand new hahahah but I got lucky
    As for the naggin idea they search us at the doors and at the bus ...
    I think I'm going to bring €50 just incase and I think my date wants to get the pictures so that's €20 is it rude if i don't want a copy of the pictures 😂

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

My dress was €20 brand new hahahah but I got lucky
    As for the naggin idea they search us at the doors and at the bus ...
    I think I'm going to bring €50 just incase and I think my date wants to get the pictures so that's €20 is it rude if i don't want a copy of the pictures 😂

Well, my school is in no way associated with our debs, so the alcohol has never been an issue. Maybe learn the "crouching tiger hidden naggin" technique...

Nah, not wanting a copy of the photos is fine. In a world of smartphones you'll have plenty of photos and there isn't really need for professional photos at a debs.

Advertisement