Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert: Picking Up Classes in 6th Year

• 22-07-2015 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Okay so for the past 5 years i've been doing French in school. I failed higher level in my JC and i'm currently doing it outside school because the French class is on at the same times as my History class. I know that even at ordinary level i will be lucky if i pass. I need a langue or i won't be able to get into the collage course i want. I'll be starting 6th year in September so i was wondering if it's to late to add on another langue? Preferably one were i don't need to do an oral exam i'm really bad one on one with people, even people i know. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also is there anyone out there who didn't do a science for their LC? I don't do a laboratory science and i know for a fact that i can get into the course i want with geography but it would be nice to hear from anyone else who went this root too. Thanks xxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Okay so for the past 5 years i've been doing French in school. I failed higher level in my JC and i'm currently doing it outside school because the French class is on at the same times as my History class. I know that even at ordinary level i will be lucky if i pass. I need a langue or i won't be able to get into the collage course i want. I'll be starting 6th year in September so i was wondering if it's to late to add on another langue? Preferably one were i don't need to do an oral exam i'm really bad one on one with people, even people i know. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also is there anyone out there who didn't do a science for their LC? I don't do a laboratory science and i know for a fact that i can get into the course i want with geography but it would be nice to hear from anyone else who went this root too. Thanks xxx
    Unfortunately all of the third languages at LC require an Oral exam. The only ones that don't AFAIK are the non-curricular ones but you have to be fluent for those exams.

Japanese and Russian are two languages that are only meant to be studied for LC meaning they are only 2 year courses. They might be easier to pick up if you want to start a new language. They both have different alphabets compared to the European languages but if you're willing to try and get grinds, an OL in one of these might be feasible.

Other than that taking up Spanish, German or Italian would most likely be too difficult considering you're expected to have 6 years of experience with them by the time the LC comes around. It might be easier to just work hard at your French and try your best to get the pass at OL. You could probably do a lot in a year with it!

Just so you're aware some courses don't require another modern language. Trinity and UL both only seek English and another language (so you can use Irish) and some of the courses at the other colleges don't require it either. It might be something you'd want to investigate some more. Either way, best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 chris241111

Probably best to stick with French as any other language is just as hard, unless you already know another language in the first place which is unlikely as you chose French, so I would stay stick with French, I understand what u r saying though as I know I will not get an A in French in the leaving so this year I have decided to take up physics DAMN FRENCH 😒

Advertisement