Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Dublin bus have in the past ..lots of state bodies have.

Dublin Bus is a subsidiary of a semi-state body with a separate legal existence which is quite distinct from the relationship of the Gardaí to the state which is without parallel I would say. The Gardaí is a state body there to be impartial and serve all people equally, and vindicate the rights of everybody. Hard to see how that role is served by the display of banners or motifs of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Personally I think it's long over in Ireland, but yea it's certainly not in some other parts of the world.

I think a lot of "homophobic" attacks are not homophobic at all - it's just arseholes being arseholes, if the weren't attacking for being gay, it would be for being fat, for being skinny, for being ginger, for being black, for being Polish, for being whatever the hell you just happen to be. It's just an excuse for some dick looking for trouble. Wrong place, wrong time and not really anything more than that.

I was once attacked outside my mothers house for being bald - do you seriously think that the guy who did it had some deep seated issue with or fear of baldies?

(He probably does now, the junkie fúck, but that's a separate story:D)

It most definitely is not over in ireland. Though i suppose it is easier for some to think that it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

cgcsb wrote: »
    The people bullying the ginger didn't have the state, the education system, their family, the church and the ginger persons family on their side though.
    Everyone is welcome at pride. Straight peeps etc.

Stuff might be overpriced now. But its still fun.

I don't understand why LGBT people accept being used as a moneymaking tool.

Corporations have a duty to do what makes their shareholders the most money, so they have calculated supporting LGBT makes them more money than not supporting LGBT.

I worked for a corp that put up their flag and talked about "inclusivity" while at the same time wouldn't allow permanent contractors access to the canteen or microwave facilities.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Dublin Bus is a subsidiary of a semi-state body with a separate legal existence which is quite distinct from the relationship of the Gardaí to the state which is without parallel I would say. The Gardaí is a state body there to be impartial and serve all people equally, and vindicate the rights of everybody. Hard to see how that role is served by the display of banners or motifs of any kind.

It is part of community policing. https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime-Prevention/Community-Policing/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It most definitely is not over in ireland. Though i suppose it is easier for some to think that it is.

I don't see what more we can realistically do as a society? It's never going to get to the stage where every single person thinks being gay is the best thing since sliced bread.

Equality means equality, it doesn't mean anything else.

What choice do you have?
    We're all used as money making tools for some business, where else is the money going to come from?

• Advertisement

Gay parades are cringeworthy and my gay friends agree.

11 months of the year.. "We're just like you but we like different things."
    1 month of the year.. "Watch while I spank this drag queen in public to the beat of YMCA."

If the most interesting thing about you is your sexuality, then I guess that's how you end up on a parade float acting like a flamboyant wanker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I don't see any mention in that of displaying banners/motifs on Garda cars or even buildings. Anyway, no matter. I suspect it's something was done unthinkingly knowing that nobody would dare publicly criticise it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

No. I think it's all over-the-top attention-seeking rubbish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

See this is an example of what I was saying, the war is over but the army marches on regardless.
    Being gay does not go "against the grain of all society" Quite the opposite in fact, it is near universally accepted these days!

And only for the sake of people who came before us for standing up.
    I still respect that.

And I can only imagine how it is like the old days, in some places in this country, but also the global struggle is a big one. The courts in Kenya recently upheld the colonial rule that criminalises gay people. And they think gay rights are a western influence!

I just don't want another kid to go through what I thought of my self back then.
    And my parents were progressive. Gave all the talks about being whatever about your sexuality.

My first thought was how my teacher, who I liked a lot and I knew she liked me.
    I just thought, I must let nobody know. What would Ms Daly think of me.

That **** should not happen.

Being a kid is hard enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

No I most certainly will not

So many attention seekers, just **** off nobody cares. Have your little party in the George and keep the streets clear instead of blocking traffic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

The amount of joyless curtain twitching cranky **** in this country is amazing.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I don't see any mention in that of displaying banners/motifs on Garda cars or even buildings. Anyway, no matter. I suspect it's something was done unthinkingly knowing that nobody would dare publicly criticise it anyway.

It is a generic page about the community policing work they do. I'm sure if you contact the garda press office they could inform you of specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭cgcsb

And the often over-sexualised nature of some of the participants is the reason why there is still bigotry.

I'll stop you there with that victim shaming crap. Bigotry is 100% the result of the minds of bigots, the victims of this are not to blame.
    If they were understated and celebrating how much the movement has evolved rather than emphasising their sexuality in an exaggerated manner, the homophobes would have less grounds for disgust.

Yeah Yeah, we got this in the neck for years, if we make ourselves less visible we won't be targeted with hatred. It doesn't work, only thing that works is more visibility. Thanks for the input mr straight person, but we have a better insight into tackling homophobia than you do.

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    I don't think he does.
    I'm a very alpha masculine gay man and for the life of me, I cannot find much attractive about pride parades.

All that prancing around and guy's in chaps, bondage gear etc looks very inappropriate and it's not what I'd want my nephew and nieces seeing, guy's gyrating and simulating sex.
    Almost like a Frankie goes to Hollywood live video in your face.
    There's a time and place for that.
    Then the rubbish German techno music is another turn off.

Why undermine your sexuality by bringing it to the gutter.
    If one's happy with their lot they don't need an audience.

If it was a private adult only celebration I wouldn't see anything wrong with it, but in public in my opinion it's inappropriate.

I guess you've never been so.

• cgcsb wrote:
    Yeah Yeah, we got this in the neck for years, if we make ourselves less visible we won't be targeted with hatred. It doesn't work, only thing that works is more visibility. Thanks for the input mr straight person, but we have a better insight into tackling homophobia than you do.

Its ok Mr gay person. We have a better idea of what actually makes someone think and act like a homophobe so we are more capable of knowing if we are one or not. So keep out of it. You don't know what it's like to be straight and being wrongly accused of homophobia because you aren't straight so your opinion is invalid.

Hmmm... That sounds a bit intolerant

Its ok Mr gay person. We have a better idea of what actually makes someone think and act like a homophobe so we are more capable of knowing if we are one or not. So keep out of it. You don't know what it's like to be straight and being wrongly accused of homophobia because you aren't straight so your opinion is invalid.

Hmmm... That sounds a bit intolerant

why should we be tolerant of homophobia?

why should we be tolerant of homophobia?

I don't think you've read what he wrote correctly!

I don't think you've read what he wrote correctly!

i know exactly what they are at.

I'll stop you there with that victim shaming crap. Bigotry is 100% the result of the minds of bigots, the victims of this are not to blame.

Damn right.

Yet I will still live my life as I think it should. Just, normal. No flags.
    But I'm a lucky one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I just don't want another kid to go through what I thought of my self back then.
    And my parents were progressive. Gave all the talks about being whatever about your sexuality.

My first thought was how my teacher, who I liked a lot and I knew she liked me.
    I just thought, I must let nobody know. What would Ms Daly think of me.

That **** should not happen.

Being a kid is hard enough.

I'm not sure it i happening anymore here? My kid is early teens and is bi, he is very open with this and not an eye has been batted. His best friend is a lesbian and again she has been open about this since 6th class and nobody seems to care. We live in small town west of Ireland so it's not like we live in some cosmopolitan place either.

My brother is 10 years younger than me(I'm mid 30s) and when he was in secondary school kids were openly gay and nobody cared, something that didn't happen when I was in secondary and this was really rural West of Ireland.

This is just my experience and perhaps if I was gay myself I would see it differently but as an outsider watching the younger ones talking about crushes and what not it doesn't seem like any of them care what the sex of the other ones crush is.

• why should we be tolerant of homophobia?

We shouldn't. We aren't.

I was responding to someone who dismissed someone due to their sexuality. I rephrased it back at him. It didn't sound nice. It made me sound intolerant although all I had done was hold up a mirror.

That's all m'dear.

This is just my experience and perhaps if I was gay myself I would see it differently but as an outsider watching the younger ones talking about crushes and what not it doesn't seem like any of them care what the sex of the other ones crush is.

This is pretty much what I see - nobody cares anymore.

There will always be slagging, bullying even, but 2 parades a day aren't going to stop that, it's just the human condition.

The whole acceptance thing is done and dusted, it's time to build a bridge and get over it!

Equality doesn't mean a constant reassuring of how fantastic you are and how much the world loves you, it means shut the fúck up and get on with things.

Personally I think it's long over in Ireland,

Then again, not being gay, you haven't a notion what you're scuttering on about so. meh.

Corporations have a duty to do what makes their shareholders the most money, so they have calculated supporting LGBT makes them more money than not supporting LGBT.

I worked for a corp that put up their flag and talked about "inclusivity" while at the same time wouldn't allow permanent contractors access to the canteen or microwave facilities.

Probably the same reason that Diageo get a free ride on St Patrick's back, nobody actually cares.

• cgcsb wrote: »
    Then again, not being gay, you haven't a notion what you're scuttering on about so. meh.

I thnk you missed where he said "personally". You aren't him so you haven't a notion what you're scuttering on about.

You seem to think that there is this huge Gay Hive Mind. There isnt

So many attention seekers, just **** off nobody cares. Have your little party in the George and keep the streets clear instead of blocking traffic

Nah thanks, we'll excercise our right to freedom of assembly, but thanks for your opinion, it'll now be especially enjoyable knowing how annoyed it makes you. :pac:

You don't know what it's like to be straight and being wrongly accused of homophobia

Oh, diddums!!

I thnk you missed where he said "personally". You aren't him so you haven't a notion what you're scuttering on about.

You seem to think that there is this huge Gay Hive Mind. There isnt

I know that a straight person saying 'the struggle is over' with regard to acceptance of gay people in this country plainly hasn't a breeze what he's on about.

• Advertisement

That's just closed minded, dismissive, idiotic bolloxology.

I'm not a dog, does that mean I can't possibly have a notion about animal welfare?

Advertisement