Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Kerry acquires Clare FM and controlling stake in Tipp FM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Woopsie - watch the networking start now - they will ruin it like they did with NRSound

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

The breakfast Facebook clip need to buck up. Loose the biro over the ear and throttle back on the wine. I could do a months shopping with those bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭ Maddison Tall Volleyball

The breakfast Facebook clip need to buck up. Loose the biro over the ear and throttle back on the wine. I could do a months shopping with those bags.

Huh??

• kazoo106 wrote: »
    Woopsie - watch the networking start now - they will ruin it like they did with NRSound

What did they do there? I think its bad news for radio..Kerry have Northern sound..shannonside,and now Clare and Tipp..
    Dennis o brien has more,The wireless group more
    Local radio in Ireland is well fcuked now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

kazoo106 wrote: »

Just to point out a few facts.

1. Northern Sound was already networked with Shannonside long before Radio Kerry came on the scene. The previous owners began networking as they could not sustain Northern Sound as a standalone service. Northern Sound was a small office and studio with no investment in years when the previous owners had it. Both stations were badly in need of investment.

2. Clare FM and Tipp FM are already networking. This was started many years ago by Clare FM when they took a controlling interest in Tipp FM.

Clare FM were selling anyway so it's much better than say another English radio group coming over and asset stripping both stations treating them as an outpost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Yes Shannonside and Northern Sound have been networking/sharing programming between the 2 stations since 1989

Just like Mid West Radio (Mayo) and the old North West Radio (Sligo) used to do, 1990 to 2005 when Ocean took over the North West licence

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I think it's naive to think that the rural ILRs will all be able to survive independently going forward, given the direction that media is taking. NR Sound & Shannonside networking with some time is no surprise as these are the least populated counties even with the multi county stations.

And as More Music pointed out, having these stations under the Radio Kerry umbrella would be more preferential to being hoovered up by Murdoch etc and having UK style networking applied to them which seems to be the road that the Wireless Group stations may beginning to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Yes Shannonside and Northern Sound have been networking/sharing programming between the 2 stations since 1989

Just like Mid West Radio (Mayo) and the old North West Radio (Sligo) used to do, 1990 to 2005 when Ocean took over the North West licence

Shannonside and Northern Sound have been one station since about 1992, when the then IRTC allowed them to merge their franchises into one. If I remember rightly they were even selling Radiomation here in Ireland.

Mid West and North West were separate stations, in spite of the shared content, shared shareholders, shared board members, shared staff, shared programmes, shared ads, shared jingles, shared playlist, shared sales and shared news.

Honestly Claffey, they were :pac:

Jokes aside, NWR took on the Sligo/West Leitrim/South Donegal Licence after it's initial bidder abandoned it's plan to go on air. I've no information about the initial bidder but would like to know more, if anybody can shed light on same.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

Of all the full time stations on air, who are the only ones left that can say that they have been stand alone and not part of a chain or group or merger? I'm thinking South East, East Coast, and Tipp Mid West, and perhaps MWR ever since NWR went off air.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

East Coast are only sort-of not in a group due to shared ownership etc. They had Sunshine in their building and all for a while.

L1011 wrote: »
    East Coast are only sort-of not in a group due to shared ownership etc. They had Sunshine in their building and all for a while.

What is their ownership status these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

L1011 wrote: »

When it was Country Mix 106.8, not Sunshine. Sunshine always based in Dublin??

• Of all the full time stations on air, who are the only ones left that can say that they have been stand alone and not part of a chain or group or merger? I'm thinking South East, East Coast, and Tipp Mid West, and perhaps MWR ever since NWR went off air.

Tipp Mid West only has a community licence,the big boys wouldnt have interest there...
    So what will it change in the output of the stations?..Who will manage the statjons now?..Radio kerry from a distance?..

Advertisement