Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eoghan McDermott wants Fairytale of New York Censored - Mod warning post 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Am i the only one who found it funny that he said "f**got is their N word". I mean he had the balls to say the f word but not the n word. Therefore the f word cant be as offensive as the n words......

Of course he is a numpty so maybe thats the n word he meant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I have no intention of getting into the argument about this song.

I just want to talk about two different related things.

1. A surprising number of contributors said that they had never heard of 2FM presenter Eoghan McDermott before. He is a former presenter of Spin103 and London's XFM. Eoghan is a former presenter of RTE2'S Republic of Telly. In fact, he has turned up on RTE on a number of occasions, including at least one new year countdown programme. It's also surprising because there have been a number of threads about him, and other posts referring to him, on Boards. If you do a search, you will find him.

2. I can't remember the last time that a presenter gave out about a song on the radio because it had a swearword (you know - the "traditional" ones), and there are quite a few songs these days that would have. Some years ago on the now defunct Radiowaves forum, I lamented the fact that such songs were creeping into daytime radio without any comment at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

What we need is a good war to weed out these weak minded individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

For the benefit of anyone who lacks ligerdub's appreciation of the nuance of art, that was a line from another great song that was actually censored for the purpose of radio airplay (Creep by Radiohead), without heralding the death of civilisation as we know it.

Considering they think people who like the song to be anally retarded.

Probably didn't have much of an impact

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭patrickc

tosspot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Can you imagine the uproar if a major band released this in 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

I have no intention of getting into the argument about this song.

I just want to talk about two different related things.

1. A surprising number of contributors said that they had never heard of 2FM presenter Eoghan McDermott before. He is a former presenter of Spin103 and London's XFM. Eoghan is a former presenter of RTE2'S Republic of Telly. In fact, he has turned up on RTE on a number of occasions, including at least one new year countdown programme. It's also surprising because there have been a number of threads about him, and other posts referring to him, on Boards. If you do a search, you will find him.

I would never consider turning on Spin under any circumstances. It's tabloid radio. I also haven't listened to 2fm since the turn of the century. I've only seen the Rubberbandits clips from Republic of Telly. I've never heard of this lad until today.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Can McDermott either not play the song on his show or play a censored version ? I mean if he has an issue with the song then as I said either dont play it or censor it and leave the presenters who want to play it as is play it.

And for listeners who don't want to listen then turn the radio off. Jesus Christ, have we lost the ability to decide what we can't and can listen to now ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

What's wrong with the word ******?

fagot works

backspin. wrote: »
    Can you imagine the uproar if a major band released this in 2018.

They removed it form a special re release this year. I have the original album so if I want to listen to it I'll listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I honestly struggle to think of anyone I dislike more than that fella McDermott.

The thought that there are people out there who actually enjoy listening to him is astounding. Him and his opinions are beyond irrelevant.

Whoever is offended by Fairytale of New York needs to get a life.

Guy called James dempsey was on with Moncrief today, at one point he used the following words in the same sentence

Woke cis hetronormative.

Made eoghan mc dermot sound like Clint Eastwood.

Ps, on the Moncrief thread, I enquired as to who he was, later found out.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Woke cis hetronormative.

Anyone who would use that in a sentence and not be joking should probably be flung down the well.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Guy called James dempsey was on with Moncrief today, at one point he used the following words in the same sentence

Woke cis hetronormative.

Made eoghan mc dermot sound like Clint Eastwood.

Ps, on the Moncrief thread, I enquired as to who he was, later found out.

As my grandfather would say, what's that when its at home ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

sligojoek wrote: »
    Here's a thing for ye. Philip Chevron, The Pogues guitarist was one of Ireland's first openly gay men and was a tireless campaigner for gay rights. He played on the record and played on the song live countless times. Funny how he had no problem with it.

It's an imagined conversation between two people FFS

Virgin TV just read a statement from Shane. It's a long winded but well worded version of the bolded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I, for one, am absolutely loving the backlash Eoghan is receiving. I bet he didn't foresee this outcome when he decided to get on his soapbox and pontificate on behalf of all the downtrodden homosexuals in this country. Even most of the gay men on Twitter, from what I can see, are disagreeing with him. It's unusual to see posters on Twitter so unanimous in their views, I'd consider that a sign that his little publicity stunt has failed spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Does his show take requests and how do we go about requesting this song the next time he is on air

Honestly never heard of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

This guy McDermott is a total waste of airspace and tbh it's rather annoying that his opinions have managed to drum up such a large thread on here today. Please stop feeding this idiot's ego!

(P.S. I realise I've just added more fuel to this stupid thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

That's a pretty good explanation from Shane about his use of the word in the song

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Took a look on the lgbt forum
    Not even a mention of this. And trust me, they like to moan there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Even his employers aren't having any of his nonsense.

https://www.joe.co.uk/amp/news/fairytale-new-york-uncensored-211291

Did Shane have to go to the bother of writing that statement because of Eoghan McDermott's attempt to virtue signal. How depressing.

Even his employer's aren't having his nonsense.

https://www.joe.co.uk/amp/news/fairytale-new-york-uncensored-211291

Well that's probably not what Eoghan McDermott was hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

backspin. wrote: »
    Did Shane have to go to the bother of writing that statement because of Eoghan McDermott's attempt to virtue signal. How depressing.

Sometimes you have to explain simple things to simple people in simple words.

MOds: I don't mean EMcD. I mean simple people in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,957 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope the original uncensored version of the song gets to No. 1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I hope the original uncensored version of the song gets to No. 1

We've been done.

McDermot has put his house on the song been number 1 for xmas.

Crafty fcker.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm scratching my head here as there was a fairly big to do when Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor used the F word, with a lot of people coming out and saying how bad it was.

Now it seems it's ok as it's in a song we all love.

I dunno :confused:

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm scratching my head here as there was a fairly big to do when Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor used the F word, with a lot of people coming out and saying how bad it was.

I guess it might have something to do with the context.

One was used as a homophobic slur apparently and the other was not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

CatFromHue wrote: »

Maybe they are different sets of people and not everyone thinks the same? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I hope he never shops in any British supermarket...

3085879577_72e73d72fb_o.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement