Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How important was Tom Barry in the IWOI?

• 03-04-2013 11:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Would he have played a minimal role, a moderate roll or a big role?

I don't know much about him except about Crossbarry with his Column encirclement escape. Is he same guy responsible for Kilmichael ambush?

Is there any books about him?

Also how highly/lowly people on here think about.

I remember Gay Byrne on radio interview calling the west cork brigade a buch of "murderous gangsters" Would many people here share Gay's point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

He was the leader of arguably the most successful flying column in the war and when the rest of the country was quiet they would often pull off an inspirational attack. I think he was more important then most realise. He would be considered the best commander of the war leading the troops in some of the biggest and most important engagements like crossbarry and kilmichael.
    There are plenty of books about him including his own guerilla days in Ireland and meda ryans tom barry, ira freedom fighter.

As for calling him a gangster it depends, I guess, on your political persuasion. Yes, they ambushed and killed RIC men but it was a war.Sinn fein had won an overwhelming majority and reaffirmed the 1916 proclimation of Independance and declared a state of war to exist between Ireland and Britain.
    I dont think its a fair comment. I wouldnt consider him any more of a gangster then Michael Collins was, would Gay consider Collins a gangster?, perhaps Tom Barry is just an easier target. 1916 occurred without the election wins etc would Gay call them gangsters? Perhaps it would be a far more deserved title then giving it to Tom Barry but again I think Gay preferred an easier target.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Neutronale

tdv123 wrote: »

I don't know much about him except about Crossbarry with his Column encirclement escape. Is he same guy responsible for Kilmichael ambush?

I remember Gay Byrne on radio interview calling the west cork brigade a buch of "murderous gangsters" Would many people here share Gay's point?

Tom_barry_gdii.jpg

A reconstruction of Kilmichael from 'the Wind that shook the barley'

http://youtu.be/ypmqbBdp6fg

books?id=EuouAAAACAAJ&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&imgtk=AFLRE70UIRkWShTQBS_pBmRx_mxPl6_TLHlq70qs0RBLy_MYwxvAVpB2gIeih9EA0F9ao9qCxM43kyECz1ROBlItZ0Nk6NWL-h2iSSTz1SPh5P6k6Ei4Ph0aFrGWIOhQoufRBGgcM3cl

Biography by Meda Ryan.

The happy warrior, a photo taken after the Rosscarbery barracks attack...

tom%20barry.jpg

• Advertisement

"They said I was ruthless, daring, savage, blood thirsty, even heartless. The clergy called me and my comrades murderers; but the British were met with their own weapons. They had gone in the mire to destroy us and our nation and down after them we had to go."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Neutronale wrote: »
    A reconstruction of Kilmichael from 'the Wind that shook the barley'

http://youtu.be/ypmqbBdp6fg[/QUOTE]

'Inspired by' Kilmichael rather than 'reconstruction'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

He was one of many, but his outfit would have been one of the best. But then again he could not have succeeded without the help of the population in the counties he traveled. Some counties with men like him, had a hard time during the struggle surviving, because of the failure of the people to give them support. The same people in those counties are the ones that claimed to have seats in the GPO, and never fired a shot. Now the same people are rewriting history to suit their ancestors. Bring on the comics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Thanks for the replies lads, great help. So I'm getting the impression from these responses that he was after all a man Irish people should be very proud of. Would those books be available in all book stores?

Sorry if I'm ignorant on this issue but I've just recently got into the history of all this WOI, 1916 & the Civil war. Which I'm now fascinated by.

Why do most countries celebrate there war heroes but a lot of our people don't? Fair enough Gay Byrne is entitled to his opinion but why not say the same about Michael Collins? Both Barry & Collins used identical tactics. Is it just because Barry was an easier target?

Also can I post a subject on another person I want to find out more about or do I have to wait a while before starting another thread.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies lads, great help. Would those books be available all in book stores?

Sorry if I'm ignorant on this issue but I've just recently got into the history of all this WOI, 1916 & the Civil war.

Why do most countries celebrate there war heroes but a lot of our people don't? Fair enough Gay Byrne is entitled to his opinion but why not say the same about Michael Collins? Both Barry & Collins used identical tactics. Is it just because Barry was an easier target?

Do not depend on the likes of gabo or his likes, for history lessons. gaybo put people up on a pedestal, on his show, like the bishops, casey, and cummisky, priests like the one that was in charge of the Artain Band, and a lot of his other heros. Do not forget Ainne Murphy, and the latchicos he filled the audience with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Gabo's politics are FF orientated, he CJ as a special guest on his final radio show, also he is a Dub out and out. Dublin is Ireland I think would be a fair comment for him.

Do not depend on the likes of gabo or his likes, for history lessons. gaybo put people up on a pedestal, on his show, like the bishops, casey, and cummisky, priests like the one that was in charge of the Artain Band, and a lot of his other heros. Do not forget Ainne Murphy, and the latchicos he filled the audience with.

When the poor ole pope came to Ireland
    Way back in that holy time
    Eamon Casey and Michael Cleary served the mass and poured the wine
    Two jockey boys they'd ride for Ireland While teaching us morality
    Sure god love them they're only human
    Annie Murphy might not agree :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Thanks for the replies lads, great help. So I'm getting the impression from these responses that he was after all a man Irish people should be very proud of. Would those books be available in all book stores?

Sorry if I'm ignorant on this issue but I've just recently got into the history of all this WOI, 1916 & the Civil war. Which I'm now fascinated by.

The truth is probably somewhere between Gaybos 'analysis' and the sometimes overly-romanticised accounts that came out until recently.

Maybe he was everything Gaybo said he was, but maybe that's what was needed at the time. He certainly seems to have been a highly effective commander.

I found this to be a 'good' (as in thought provoking, rather than entertaining!) read on the IRA in Cork City during that period. It certainly removes any idea of the 'romance' of the period.....

51VQMsphRWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-62,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Jawgap wrote: »
    The truth is probably somewhere between Gaybos 'analysis' and the sometimes overly-romanticised accounts that came out until recently.

Maybe he was everything Gaybo said he was, but maybe that's what was needed at the time. He certainly seems to have been a highly effective commander.

I found this to be a 'good' (as in thought provoking, rather than entertaining!) read on the IRA in Cork City during that period. It certainly removes any idea of the 'romance' of the period.....

51VQMsphRWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-62,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Hasnt this book been discredited. He made claims that the IRA killed and disappeared a dozen Camerons but the documentation revealed that only three were missing.

Murphy seems to have the same revisionist anti-republican agenda as Eoghan Harris and Peter Hart...

See also http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83715469&postcount=1

Hasnt this book been discredited. He made claims that the IRA killed and disappeared a dozen Camerons but the documentation revealed that only three were missing.

Murphy seems to have the same revisionist anti-republican agenda as Eoghan Harris and Peter Hart...

See also http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83715469&postcount=1

I'd be reluctant to lump him in with Hart and Harris who set out to, imo, to fit facts to their own agendas or previously held views.

I'd also not be inclined to agree with the idea it's revisionist - he kind of shines a light in places that have long existed but perhaps have not been acknowledged for obvious reasons and lays out the evidence he found. There was an initial furore, which he acknowledged was down to the mis-representation of some documents - this has been corrected in later editions. Some of his research was criticised for being superficial, but other parts achieved high praise, particularly his analysis of some the lesser used sources.

I thought it was well written, and, generally, thoroughly researched, and not as stuffy or, at the other extreme, as flowery as some other histories from the period.....ymmv:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Also can I post a subject on another person I want to find out more about or do I have to wait a while before starting another thread.

There is no problem with you starting a thread on a different topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Are you Sure Gay Byrne said that ?
    I recall it was Harris that called them gangsters?
    Maybe it was both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

lol

Thats a load of utter rubbish that has been totally discredited. Revisionist crap

Are you Sure Gay Byrne said that ?
    I recall it was Harris that called them gangsters?
    Maybe it was both.

He didn't mention Barry or anybody by name just the column itself. I'm positive it was the West Cork Brigade. It was on a newstalk interview from about 2 years ago. I'll try & find some sources of what he actually said. I'm about 99% sure he called them "a murder gang" or a "bunch of murderous gangsters".

• Advertisement

He didn't mention Barry or anybody by name just the column itself. I'm positive it was the West Cork Brigade. It was on a newstalk interview from about 2 years ago. I'll try & find some sources of what he actually said. I'm about 99% sure he called them "a murder gang" or a "bunch of murderous gangsters".

Graybo thinks that wars are won, by telling your enemy you are off my Christmas card list. Sadly for those that took up arms and had to fight, a rough and tough war, that the likes of him could not contemplate, some survived and lived to give their account, which graybo takes every opportunity to destroy.
    The end of the war gave him the opportunity to live off the free state with his enormous largess. Sad little people like him became popular, due to the fact we did not have any other source of entertainment. A sad little man like him, would be like something Barry would wipe of his boots in the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ganger

Well said/written, Busted Flat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Graybo thinks that wars are won, by telling your enemy you are off my Christmas card list. Sadly for those that took up arms and had to fight, a rough and tough war, that the likes of him could not contemplate, some survived and lived to give their account, which graybo takes every opportunity to destroy.
    The end of the war gave him the opportunity to live off the free state with his enormous largess. Sad little people like him became popular, due to the fact we did not have any other source of entertainment. A sad little man like him, would be like something Barry would wipe of his boots in the grass.

Excellent post!

I'd be reluctant to lump him in with Hart and Harris who set out to, imo, to fit facts to their own agendas or previously held views.

I'd also not be inclined to agree with the idea it's revisionist - he kind of shines a light in places that have long existed but perhaps have not been acknowledged for obvious reasons and lays out the evidence he found. There was an initial furore, which he acknowledged was down to the mis-representation of some documents - this has been corrected in later editions. Some of his research was criticised for being superficial, but other parts achieved high praise, particularly his analysis of some the lesser used sources.

I thought it was well written, and, generally, thoroughly researched, and not as stuffy or, at the other extreme, as flowery as some other histories from the period.....ymmv:)

Absolutely damning and excellent review here:http://www.academia.edu/485160/History_Ireland_Book_Review_Gerard_Murphy_The_Year_of_Disappearances

If Murphy is not a convinced revisionist and Harrisite I am at a loss as to why he would set out to take this approach, why would he want to prove the IRA was sectarian?

If he has twisted the evidence in the way in which the above review states he is in danger of not being taken seriously as a historian...

Absolutely damning and excellent review here:http://www.academia.edu/485160/History_Ireland_Book_Review_Gerard_Murphy_The_Year_of_Disappearances

If Murphy is not a convinced revisionist and Harrisite I am at a loss as to why he would set out to take this approach, why would he want to prove the IRA was sectarian?

If he has twisted the evidence in the way in which the above review states he is in danger of not being taken seriously as a historian...

He's not a historian and I'm not sure he's claimed to be - this was his first non-fiction book.

I think in interviews he described hearing stories when growing up in Carrignavar about the killings and decided to investigate the folklore - and I'd agree with some reviews that suggest sometimes the book doesn't know whether it's a historical narrative or a historical novel.

But just because it's controversial, doesn't mean it is without merit - I thought it was a good read and I didn't get the impression he was setting out to do anything in particular except explore the evidence, see where it led and how it measured up to the stories he was told as a kid. I think where the book is at its weakest is where stories, not contradicted by evidence are assumed to be true.

Borgonovo's review is referenced in this review to which Murphy himself responded.

Have you read the book by Gerard Murphy?

Murphy's response to the critical review by Borgonovo needs to be referenced in conjunction with your quoted review:
    I was a little disappointed with John Borgonovo’s review of my book The Year of Disappearances that appeared in the January/February edition of HI. I would have expected more in the line of constructive criticism rather than the dismissal that the book received. My book, he asserts ‘cannot be presented as serious scholarship; it is a work in which ‘speculation replaces sound historic methodology’. Borgonovo’s method of criticism was to quickly run through the various elements of the book while asserting that I produce no evidence to support any of them. In each instance he ignored the evidence that I did provide. It is not possible to go through all his assertions in a letter of this length, so a few examples will have to suffice.

He states that Martin Corry is an unreliable witness who frequently exaggerated his War of Independence experiences and that I don’t question his credibility. Yet the first eight chapters of my book are spent in doing precisely that. Corry’s claims that a large number of people were shot out of the brigade prison at Knockraha are substantiated by other members of the 1st Cork Brigade, including his own commanding officer, Michael Leahy. As for the actual number killed, Corry himself in his IRA pension application form claimed that his group executed 27 prisoners during the War of Independence. It is well known that IRA pension applications were vetted by having their claims authenticated by senior veterans of the conflict. It is fair to assume that if Corry claimed to have executed 27 people that this number was agreed by his superiors in the Old IRA. 35 might have been an exaggeration, 27 is not.

Another example of Mr. Borgonovo’s method is his statement that the only evidence I produce on the abduction of half a dozen Cork city merchants on St Patrick’s Day 1922 are three newspaper reports. In fact, this story was carried by no less than six newspapers and was even picked up by the Press Association and ran, off and on, in these newspapers for the next week – though the men are not named. It is also supported by the accounts of IRA veterans who predated it to make it look as if it occurred a year earlier. John Borgonovo knows this as well as I do. After all, he wrote a whole book trying to prove that these men were killed in the spring of 1921, something he failed to prove. Based on Liam de Roiste’s diary entry of 23 March 1922, he then states that the men abducted on 17 March 1922 were in fact two local IRA officers arrested for joining the Gardai. It is true that two IRA men called Hallinan and Kelleher were arrested around that date after making a visit to Dublin to join the Civic Guard but these were not the six ‘prominent citizens’ taken on St Patrick’s Day. (Kidnappings were almost a daily occurrence during those weeks.) Mrs Parsons, inquiring about the fate of her son (a fifteen-year old) who disappeared the same week was told at IRA HQ in Union Quay barracks to hold out no hope as 'a lot' had been shot around that time.

Mr. Borgonovo stated that I could not uncover ‘blatant anti-Masonic and anti-Protestant sentiments amid thousands of pages of O’Donoghue material’. I think the reasons for that are fairly obvious. Maybe he should spread his wings a little and have another look at the correspondence emanating from the 1st Southern Division in the Mulcahy and indeed the Lankford papers. There’s plenty anti-Masonic stuff in there. Besides, what was O’Donoghue doing ‘updating’ his lists of Freemasons as late as 1930 when he was no longer a member of the IRA? Mr. Borgonovo’s review is full of such examples of partial reporting of the evidence presented in my book. To rebut them all would require me writing the book all over again.

As I have said previously, my book is a book of evidence, not a book of conclusions. I work from the standpoint of scientific methodology. What evidence I have, I put out there on the basis that it is falsifiable. (In other words that it can be proven wrong, if it is wrong - for those who don't understand what the word 'falsifiable' means.) My hope is to provide stimulus to others to further investigate the subject as new information becomes available. I was surprised at the tenor of John Borgonovo’s review, considering that my work augments his own and explains a lot of the puzzling ambiguities that his data, based largely on the accounts of Old IRA veterans, throws up. Suggesting that this is not a work of serious scholarship, when I use considerably more sources than he does, is not just being disingenuous, it is also plain wrong.

Gerard Murphy
    Updated 23 October 2011
    http://year-of-disappearances.blogspot.ie/2011/10/reply-to-john-borgonovo.html
    Regardless of whether people agree or not with Murphy he is investigating/ writing about something that seems to be a 'no-go' area amongst some historians/ people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Yeah, making stuff up is generally a no go area for historians.

GRMA wrote: »
    Yeah, making stuff up is generally a no go area for historians.

Example so...

Have you read the book by Gerard Murphy?

Murphy's response to the critical review by Borgonovo needs to be referenced in conjunction with your quoted review:

Regardless of whether people agree or not with Murphy he is investigating/ writing about something that seems to be a 'no-go' area amongst some historians/ people.

I find Murphy's reply to Borgonovo unconvincing.

Also I'd easily take a historians word over that of a fiction writer.

I dont believe any issue is no-go, as long as its honest and not the usual revisionist attempt to blacken the name of good men...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Typically Byrne wouldn't refer to the British army who looted and burned down the centre of Cork and many other towns and villages across the country as "murderous gangsters".

Advertisement