Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a watch as a gift? Bad luck??!

• 12-12-2007 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

Is this true? Is buying a watch as a gift bad luck or is this a misinterpreted tale that has been going around Cork!? I know that I've heard something about giving a watch as a gift - but I thought it was simply kind of a nudge, nudge * wink, wink you'll be married next kind of a thing. Not bad luck!

Anyone care to shed some light on this?!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

Old wives tale I think if you give a watch to your other half then you're trying to break up with them.

Now 3 years ago i gave my other half a watch for Christmas and we're still together. I had no intention of breaking up. It was pretty and relatively inexpensive and I was a poor student :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Usually a watch was associated as a secret engagement or the last gift a guys recieves or gives before he gives a ring..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

charba wrote: »
    Old wives tale I think if you give a watch to your other half then you're trying to break up with them.
    Ginger wrote: »
    Usually a watch was associated as a secret engagement or the last gift a guys recieves or gives before he gives a ring..

So there are two different tales out there.. and yikes do they differ!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

In Asia giving a watch to someone as a gift, is considered a curse. In Russia you want them to live for a long time

Depends on where you are..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Cork_girl wrote: »
    So there are two different tales out there.. and yikes do they differ!!!

I've heard both tales as being one. As in if you buy a watch for your OH it either means you'll be together forever (engagement) or that time is up. My ex bought me a watch and we were together for a year after that. I wouldn't take any notice of it!

Actually ha I just remembered a guy I was seeing for a couple of months gave me a watch last Xmas and he went cold as ice to me a week after and we broke up...oooh maybe its bad luck for me so :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Bad luck for who because I was recently given a watch as a present!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Bad luck for the relationship..that they will break up/putting time on their relationship.

Friend of mine gave a watch as an xmas present to her boyfriend of 2years last year and they broke up about a week later!:D....but they got back together about a week after that and still going out!:rolleyes:

I think it's a nice present to give a fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    I think it's a nice present to give a fella.

Me too... Love my watch!!! :D:):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I gave my boyf a watch for his birthday and we're still together though his house was broken into last week and the thing was robbed so maybe it is bad luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

mmmm all this breaking up bad luck related to giving a watch - what happens if it's family that give you one. Think my parents are getting me one for crimbo - here's hoping they don't kick me out afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

apparantly if you give someone a watch your counting down the time you have left together- and i stil believe it im too supersticious not to

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

If you are reading this you must copy and paste it to 500 friends emails in 15seconds or you will be crushed to death from a million falling watches when you next step outside...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

My mum is very superstitious - seeminly your not meant to give a watch to your OH as it puts time on your relationship and your not meant to give a pair of shoes either as they will walk away from you or walk over you or something, cant remember which it is

Advertisement