Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disclosing penalty points to insurer

• 20-08-2019 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭

I got three points on my license for speeding. Had no points on licence before this. Sent off an e-mail to the insurer/broker with the details and they phoned me back and confirmed the details. My policy started in January, got the points in July so renewal is another 5 months away.

Anyway the guy on the phone wanted 35euro to put the details on my file. I said where did he get that fee from? He said it was a standard fee for changing details. I said I'll have to check my policy to see where this 'fee' is mentioned. No sign of it anywhere in the policy document. Were they just chancing there arm or is this normal?

As far as I'm concerned I've informed them of the penalty points so I've done my part regardless of whether I pay this 'fee' or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Your insurers may not charge an alteration fee, but your broker might. You need to have a look at the terms of business document they should have sent with the policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 wu3b8jfm7q9o0i

If one dosent tell them about penalty points would they find out from a batabase, was always curious can insurers check if you have points and not declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

It was through Chill.ie and they don't mention it in the policy document.

recyclebin wrote: »
    It was through Chill.ie and they don't mention it in the policy document.

Their Terms of Business are separate to the policy document

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

If one dosent tell them about penalty points would they find out from a batabase, was always curious can insurers check if you have points and not declared.
    Yes they can. And they can see the offence that caused the points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 wu3b8jfm7q9o0i

How can they see the offence and points.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

How can they see the offence and points.thanks

From a database

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I know Axa charge a fee, but as you said you told them, if its not of any benefit to you then I wouldn't pay either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I wonder could insurance companies access to the penalty points records could be challenged as a GDPR issue. Can they check it anytime they like or do they have to put in a request in the case of a claim against them?

Anyway Chill still haven't come back to me to show where they pulled this fee from for disclosing penalty points.

• Advertisement
Advertisement