Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCB - 2 year lapse rule

Options
  • 03-02-2018 5:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Just looking to confirm I will be okay to renew car insurance policy with my 6 year NCB intact without issue

- I cancelled policy 20/02/2016 (went travelling for 9 months)
    - I renewed insurance 23/11/2016
    - I cancelled policy on 17/02/2017 (left Ireland again and working abroad)
    - Will be returning to Ireland on 20/08/18

So that makes it 18 months that I have not renewed car insurance, will I be okay on my return in August 18' to renew with NCB intact?

Does it make no difference that I cancelled the policy without it running its year course?

I have a letter from previous insurer outlining me taking out the policy and cancelling it with it indicating 5+ NCB and no monies owed to them.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭treascon

Going on the dates you have given your Ncb will remain valid until 17/2/19. Doesn’t make any difference to your ncb the fact you cancelled midterm. You just won’t get the benefit of an extra year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

Trying to keep my NCB alive.

I'm teaching abroad. Back for 6 weeks every year.

If I renew my insurance when I come home and cancel it after say 8 weeks does that reset the NCB clock to a new two years from the date of cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭treascon

That’s not going to work. It’s consistent driving experience insurers need to see not someone regularly cancelling policies after a matter of weeks. Also it’s normally a condition that the policyholder is a permanent resident in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

paddy19 wrote: »
    Trying to keep my NCB alive.

I'm teaching abroad. Back for 6 weeks every year.

If I renew my insurance when I come home and cancel it after say 8 weeks does that reset the NCB clock to a new two years from the date of cancellation.

If you are living abroad 46 weeks out of the year without coming to Ireland then you are likely making a false declaration if Irish residence (unwittingly) to obtain insurance. Your policy is effectively worthless and you leave yourself open to a criminal charge. Basically, non-residents effectively cannot get insures as the primary driver in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

Fair enough, I can see the residency issue. Where does the criminal charge come in? I can see breach of contract all right.
    Is getting named driver experience any good for future NCB.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fair enough, I can see the residency issue. Where does the criminal charge come in? I can see breach of contract all right.

Making fraudulent legal declaration.

Possibly driving without valid insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

If you suspend your insurance then you don’t break your policy record . Sure you are out a few euros per year but get back 60% at year end to use towards the following years premium

Advertisement