Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Has the Today Fm top brass taken over 2fm for the day or what ?

I think he was iRadio’s top man before moving to 2fm.

Not a huge fan of 2fm but JZ is an odd choice.

This is what I think happened.

Nicky went into negotiations with RTÉ for a new contract basically to tell them he was going on tour and wouldn’t return or sign a new contract, I’d say RTÉ knew this.

JZ got the DWTS gig at an enormous rate and RTÉ said she had to take on a bigger role ( she’s one of their top earners now).

JG isn’t aware of any of this but Dan Healy (head of 2fm) suggests she take a late night slot, which in terms of radio is a step backward. JG asks for current slot when she is told it’s already gone.

JG leaves, todayFM should take her they’ve need someone since ray left.

Remember when JZ was the annoying Irish girl with the horrible voice on The Apprentice UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

Pussyhands wrote: »
    She sees herself as above evening radio. She might get something on 98fm or classic hits or something like that.

She is above evening radio. Anything after 6pm is a graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

She sees herself as above evening radio. She might get something on 98fm or classic hits or something like that.

Does she ? Where is that coming from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Her statement basically says "after progressing to daytime, going back to evenings doesn't feel right."

"Having started in the evening time and progressed to a gery succesful daytime show, i feel going back to an evening slot is not the right decision both personally and professionally"

And she is dead right in saying so. A similar move for Louise Duffy has been pretty poor for her.

• Advertisement

bot43 wrote: »
    "Having started in the evening time and progressed to a gery succesful daytime show, i feel going back to an evening slot is not the right decision both personally and professionally"

And she is dead right in saying so. A similar move for Louise Duffy has been pretty poor for her.

Duffy had been stealing a living during daytime. She can't even talk properly.

Duffy had been stealing a living during daytime. She can't even talk properly.

Is it just women presenters you have an issue with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Acosta

Who do you reckon?

The Cillit Bang guy

What's your basis for asking this? Playing the sexist card again?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf he tried to insult Ed Smith of TodayFM only to get laughed at on Smith instagram. He complains about male presenters too.

Altho he was complaining that male presenter was playing only songs by women that night so there may well be a pattern emerging :pac:

• Advertisement

What's your basis for asking this? Playing the sexist card again?

Patterns of posts really.

Her statement basically says "after progressing to daytime, going back to evenings doesn't feel right."

Generally speaking if you move from daytime to evening it’s a step backwards, in the same way as moving from a co-presenting role to your own is a step up for JZ.

Patterns of posts really.

What pattern is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Elmo wrote: »
    JZ got the DWTS gig at an enormous rate and RTÉ said she had to take on a bigger role ( she’s one of their top earners now).
    RTE are trying to turn JZ into a star broadcaster and household name.

Sadly, RTE management have mistaken publicity for talent and ability. The public are NOT being served.

bureau2009 wrote: »
    RTE are trying to turn JZ into a star broadcaster and household name.

Sadly, RTE management have mistaken publicity for talent and ability. The public are NOT being served.

Maguire will be hosting more tv programs now I bet too. Wouldn't surprise me if she got her own little chat show, either replacing D'arcy or replacing Miriam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Nicky, Jenny and Jennifer were all grand doing what they were doing. Thought Nicky was decent, considering he jumped straight in to a prime time slot.

Don't know if Jenny Greene would have been a suitable replacement on her own, but can of course see why she would be pissed at not getting the chance.

No big issues with Jennifer Z, but why mess with Breakfast Republic? They have been doing alright for the last few years and have good chemistry. Could see Jennifer Z's voice grating on you after a while if she's on her own, and her "comedy value" relied on bouncing off her co-presenters.

Better scenario here would be to leave Jennifer Z where she is (give her more TV work, she's grand at that), and bring back Ray Foley from Cork and stick him in the Nicky/Jenny slot.

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Nicky, Jenny and Jennifer were all grand doing what they were doing. Thought Nicky was decent, considering he jumped straight in to a prime time slot.

Don't know if Jenny Greene would have been a suitable replacement on her own, but can of course see why she would be pissed at not getting the chance.

No big issues with Jennifer Z, but why mess with Breakfast Republic? They have been doing alright for the last few years and have good chemistry. Could see Jennifer Z's voice grating on you after a while if she's on her own, and her "comedy value" relied on bouncing off her co-presenters.

Better scenario here would be to leave Jennifer Z where she is (give her more TV work, she's grand at that), and bring back Ray Foley from Cork and stick him in the Nicky/Jenny slot.

Nicky was terrible. Sounds like he smokes 40 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

It is my understanding that 2FM is loss making.
    If that's true then there should be no conversation about who presents what. It should be closed. As it stands it's in existence for the benefit of those who work there. That's not acceptable.
    The product is being provided elsewhere at no cost to the taxpayer.
    Nicky Byrne on over 200k is a scandal.

If that's true then there should be no conversation about who presents what. It should be closed. As it stands it's in existence for the benefit of those who work there. That's not acceptable.

He’s not at least with those figures release in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭KildareP

In 2017:
    - it cost €12.355m to operate
    - it made €4.421m in commercial revenue
    - it received a direct license fee subvention of €6.749m
    - it received Non-Channel Specific Contribution from Non-Public-Service Activities of €843k
    - it posted an overall deficit of €342k.

In 2016:
    - it cost €12.281m to operate
    - it made €5.826m in commercial revenue
    - it received a direct license fee subvention of €5.097m
    - it received Non-Channel Specific Contribution from Non-Public-Service Activities of €580k
    - it posted an overall deficit of €778k.

Source: Page 126/127 of this document:
    https://www.rte.ie/annualreport/pdfs/RTE_Annual_Report_2017.pdf

What exactly does it do that is deserving of nearly 2/3 (and increasing) of it's operating cost to be funded by RTÉ via non-commercial means (i.e. the license fee!)

• Advertisement

There was a point 10 years ago when it self funded.

I hate everything about this photo.

000b993d-614.jpg?ratio=1.78

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It's interesting to look now at the poll that was put out when this thread was started. Jenny Greene was one of the options offered and Jennifer Zamparelli was not mentioned specifically as an option! Jenny, who got 11 votes, is no longer a theoretical possibility and "Someone else", which got 12 votes, has got the gig! They were the two options with the most votes, but, of course, "Someone else" meant anyone not specifically mentioned in the list of options!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Why are people surprised with this. Jenny Greene is poor at best and there was no way she could hold that show alone. I also know for a fact that she is not all that pleasant to work with and is not liked in RTE. Her current show with Nicky is not good and because of the huge salaries being paid it had to stay. Once Nicky bailed Jenny was certain to be out the door, their salaries are just too high for the standard they produce.

canonball5 wrote: »
    Why are people surprised with this. Jenny Greene is poor at best and there was no way she could hold that show alone. I also know for a fact that she is not all that pleasant to work with and is not liked in RTE. Her current show with Nicky is not good and because of the huge salaries being paid it had to stay. Once Nicky bailed Jenny was certain to be out the door, their salaries are just too high for the standard they produce.

Nicky is terrible but he's famous and lives off his name while Jenny as you said is poor. No way could she anchor a prime show on her own. Don't see how Jenn Z will either but...

Seems daytime is about ditzy people now rather than funny.

That's why Ray Foley is so good...can do upbeat lighthearted funny radio without having to resort to acting dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

louise's ratings for both day shows, the ratings she had fell, the fenton spot and the lunch time spot. that's the reason why she was moved (and claiming she's going into the fashion blogging world), not what her gender was...apparently the ratings picked up when she was replaced both times by Dermot and dave in the lunch spot and Ferg D'arcy (who I cannot stand either)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jenny should have got it

canonball5 wrote: »

I’d be of the opinion that Jenny propped up Nicky, with Nicky there for his name.

I think it’s more a case of it makes more sense to give it to Jenny than to Jennifer Zamparelli.

Jennifer Zamparelli is poor at best and there is no way she could hold the show alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I personally think they should try Brendan O'Connor in a Gerry Ryan style programme from 9-12.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Elmo wrote: »
    There was a point 10 years ago when it self funded.

Any chance of that resuming died with Gerry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement