Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I remember people on here having meltdowns as had no snow at 4pm exactly. It was comical.

And others going bonkers and attacking those that genuinely sat in the Isle of Man shadow and didn't get much until Emma hit.
    It got very nasty. I hope it doesn't if this event does happen.

Must say I am doubtful, I am not a weather guru but I'm expecting downgrades as this comes closer.

From my perspective I'm hoping it doesn't happen, keeping horses when it snows means way more work and digging out stables to get horses fed and having frozen pipes or no water is not my idea of fun. It couldn't come at a worse time. The land is already flooded, a bit of dry weather would be very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Snowing in Letterkenny this morning, wasn't really expecting that. Very wet and sleety though so no chance of it settling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Almost snowing here. We just missed out on a big snow event.

Any sign of proper snow in your area? Radar suggest that precipitation is getting heavier where you are. I see Ballypatrick Forest to your east (and you have an east sourced wind) is reporting heavy snow with a temperature and dewpoint of around 0°.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I said I wouldn't log in this morning and instead wait until Thursday to do so as the potential cold spell would either be more definite or unlikely by then and I'd have a clear answer and one way or the other, getb on with things. But I foolishly logged on just now and to my horror learn that the chances of a cold spell are going down faster than a lead balloon. Very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

highdef wrote: »
    Any sign of proper snow in your area? Radar suggest that precipitation is getting heavier where you are. I see Ballypatrick Forest to your east (and you have an east sourced wind) is reporting heavy snow with a temperature and dewpoint of around 0°.

Snowing in Inishowen

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Snowing and blizzard conditions at 600 feet

• Registered Users Posts: 32 polarhullar

A good 3 inches up on Benevenagh this morning, snow blowing everywhere, definitely wasn't expecting that today!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Torrential downpours in Kildare this morning

C65-DF6-FE-33-DB-4920-994-C-2-CB6499-AC63-A.jpg

• Advertisement

Six inch drifts in places. Met Office fail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Six inch drifts in places. Met Office fail

Didn't you get a rain and snow warning from the Met Office? Or is your area outside the warning? Sorry just not sure I understand the fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

lucalux wrote: »
    Didn't you get a rain and snow warning from the Met Office? Or is your area outside the warning? Sorry just not sure I understand the fail!

Snowed with me. I was outside warning.

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Snowing in Inishowen

Much about?

Met o said 2-5cm there is at least 10cm and pilling up at 1000 feet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Snowed with me. I was outside warning.

Ah ok cool thanks, was looking at them there, and the Met Éireann graphic shows Tyrone, Derry and Antrim counties on a yellow rain and snow warning, the Met Office one has a blob that doesn't quite cover all those counties

I'm also thinking what the Met Office failure is. You have a yellow warning for heavy rain and snow. Tyrone212, is the snow that you have causing much disruption?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Much about?

No unfortunately. For a while it was lovely thick flakes so it was nice to look at but not sticking and is a sleety mix of small flakes now.

highdef wrote: »
    I'm also thinking what the Met Office failure is. You have a yellow warning for heavy rain and snow. Tyrone212, is the snow that you have causing much disruption?

I'm far outside the yellow snow/rain blob warning. No just a dusting. I didn’t call it a fail. Just snowed where it wasn't expected to. I'm not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just 2 Degrees here this morning bitterly cold, it's 11c in Valentina such a difference

• Advertisement

I'm far outside the yellow snow/rain blob warning. No just a dusting. I didn’t call it a fail. Just snowed where it wasn't expected too. I'm not complaining.

Apologies, the Met Office query was aimed for Nqp15hhu.

I had a look at https://trafficwatchni.com/twni/cameras and I see some snow on Glenshane Pass which is to expected and Coleraine Mountain camera appears to be covered in snow but the "Mountain" part suggests that it's high ground. Apart from that, it looks pretty green so I would imagine away from higher ground, there's little in the way of sticking snow. What height above sea level are you at, Tyrone212?

Anyway...

The snow here is lying readily down to 400 feet. The snow is falling down at a steady rate, maybe 2cm an hour, as my footprints were filled in, in the space of 20 minutes. Above 600 feet the snow is powdery, with frozen ground above 800 feet.

There is a lot of drifting with up to a foot in places (with the drifting).

Ik0U1wV.jpg
    jtDUc9f.jpg
    4V31gjN.jpg
    ClFFJhk.jpg
    RU4r4Kz.jpg
    wqq9XOh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32 polarhullar

Quick video of the snowy conditions from around Benevenagh this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

Likewise a friend of mine in Berlin says the local weather forecasters are talking of deep cold from next week which I don't see on some of the models

So could this cold snap/spell become a prelude, and establish and easterly flow for that deep cold to push west? How long would that take to push across, is it another snowlercoaster for St. Valentine's day?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

murfo wrote: »
    So could this cold snap/spell become a prelude, and establish and easterly flow for that deep cold to push west? How long would that take to push across, is it another snowlercoaster for St. Valentine's day?

We are finding it difficult to predict what happens the weekend my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Denman1983

@ murfo “Snowlercoaster”ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

back to the weather, yet another awful day in Dublin 5. at least tomorrow looks a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

US2 says no

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Plenty of snow has been falling in northern England and the border region this morning. There were two balloons sent up from Albermarle this morning (06 and 12Z) and both show perfect snow conditions. Depth got to 5 cm there but up to 14 cm at Bingley (260 m).

12Z
    3238_0_2102021102.png

06Z
    3238_0_2102020502.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

bazlers wrote: »
    We are finding it difficult to predict what happens the weekend my friend.

:D but it's always the freezer at T240 right?

Advertisement