Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

January

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that cloud system is now over us here in meath and its raining outside, not even sleet, just rain, absolutely gutting:(

Originally posted by Gonzo
    that cloud system is now over us here in meath and its raining outside, not even sleet, just rain, absolutely gutting:(

Don't worry pet :D

There'll be another front down to ya in the morning which will have more snow in it , even where you are, keep an eye out for it, t'will be a few flakes for ya ;)
    originally posted by DMT
    I'm great....
    As shur we know ya are :)

But remember,it doesnt take a whole lot of skill to state that there will be no snow, when thats what happens 99% of the time even in the winter.
    The forecaster has a difficult job and that job is subject to many variables.
    Calling snow in borderline conditions for it is not one of the easiest things they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

I will be victorious.... (when it come to weather - I am always right...)

Originally posted by DMT
    I predict one of those lame 40 minute snow showers followed by sleet and rain. It'll make everywhere look white for about an hour or so, but that's it....
    Originally posted by DMT
    I will be victorious.... (when it come to weather - I am always right...)

and the 40 minute snow shower you predicted... :D

did that come ? was everywhere lookin white?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

All of the UK (except southwest, central london) got blasted by snow last night 5 inchs deep in most parts, typical us Irish just get rain and mild temperatures as always. With exceptionally mild weather due by Friday/Saturday (11deg?) im wondering wot chances do we have left this winter season for seeing a proper cold snap from the east with plenty of snow and drifting. Can this sort of thing occur in February up to early March? Last year I remember solid blue skys and warm sunshine all the way from late february till early June last year:) June was a crap cold month then July to mid October was really warm and sunny again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i remember when i was in school we had snow in March so the chances of snow are far from gone

sadly :(

Originally posted by Man
    and the 40 minute snow shower you predicted... :D

did that come ? was everywhere lookin white?
    Talk about backpeddling - you way you were talking you'd think we'd be able to build igloos...

for the record im 30 years of age and when it snows it has always brought out the kid in me, i adore snow, thing is when i went to school we here in Meath got snowed in every Winter without fail till 1991, all the way thru national school thru to my leaving certifcate year we got at least a week off school becuase of snowstorms/blizzards, since 1992 i can only recall 1 snowspell of about 3 inchs deep and thats it. Bascially I havent seen a decent cold spell/snow storm in 12 years, I know global warming/north atlantic drift plays part of this but not this sudden or extreme surely? Every other country in Europe is gettin decent snow most winters, even last week Greece and the greek islands got snow and temperatures below our 'so-called cold snap', yet no matter wot happens here all we get is rain or sleet and if on the rare chance that it is cold enough for snow here we are suddenly presented with cloudless sunny skys and England gets bombared with snow blizzards. Infact this winter so far we havent even had one miserable 5 minute snow shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭mobby

i remember when i was in school we had snow in March so the chances of snow are far from gone

Its only a few years ago we had snow in late April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Just for the record. the original post
    Wintry weather expected!
    Becoming bitterly cold through the weekend with some significant snowfall likely in places Sunday night, Monday and Tuesday.
    was entirely accurate:)

Just because it didn't snow on your particular part of Ireland doesn't mean it didn't elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Indeed, most of Scotland even down to lower levels is getting a blizzard today with 20 cms or more expected.

This may affect high ground in Antrim later today.

/meanwhile away from the north east of this island, it's positively mild.

Weather people are like politicians - all promises then back-peddling when they can't deliver the goods....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I hate feckin' snow. It's pretty to watch from the warmth of your bed but having to be out in out everyday to and from where ever you are going sucks. It's freezing, slippery, dangerous, messy. ick. I cant take it anymore! there is 3 feet of it outside and it just keeps coming!
    snow snow go away, dont come back another day!

Originally posted by DMT
    Weather people are like politicians - all promises then back-peddling when they can't deliver the goods....
    eh?

I'd put them at more than 80% accurate and I'd be ungenerous to them probably at that.
    Take away the weather forecasts , the models and the satellite images and leave us without a clue.

Then see how you like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hey,

I liv near the north-east coast at an altitude of 500 feet and dere wasnt a flake of snow but a small shower of hailstones.

As a a matter of fact on thursday night (i think?) wen there was supposed to be rain, it started snowing for 5 mins and then was dry for the rest of the night!! The wind was south-westerly. This proves that met eireann and the met office are a pack of incompetent fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by To_be_confirmed
    Hey,

I liv near the north-east coast at an altitude of 500 feet and dere wasnt a flake of snow but a small shower of hailstones.

As a a matter of fact on thursday night (i think?) wen there was supposed to be rain, it started snowing for 5 mins and then was dry for the rest of the night!! The wind was south-westerly. This proves that met eireann and the met office are a pack of incompetent fools.

Really-
    1) your logic is a bit faulty
    2) I think most interpretations od the varous models (ie not just from the irish met office) would have concurred with their assesment.
    So are all weathermen " incompetent fools" :)?

Originally posted by To_be_confirmed
    Hey,

No it does not, my attitude to that is as per my reply to DMT.
    When you get something right most of the time, then you certainly aren't incompetant.
    Weather forecasting isn't magic, it's a difficult thing to do at the best of times.
    The old maxim applies, the man who never made a mistake, never made anything .

Sweeping statements of condemnation without adequate evidence evidence will not be acceptable anymore,both posters consider yourselves informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I suppose that under the circumstances back then it would appear that there would be some sort of wintry showers expected but they were really wide off the mark. They mightn't be "incompetent fools" but they need to improve. I notice that it usually snows when i don't expect it.

On another point, a good friend of mine was driving home @ 7.30 am a couple of weeks ago, unaware that there was severe black ice on the roads in the area. Later that morning i heard that there were 12 car accidents in a 4 mile radius area. This person was driving at ordinary speeds, unaware of the danger. I was dissapointed that there was no warning on the weather forecast and while it may be localised, other small parts of the country were affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Regarding the weather last week and in particular on wednesday, a cold front moved south over Britain and dumped 10cm+ of snow in an hour over a large area. This was just 100 miles to the east of Ireland, which in my opinion is a hairs breadth in meteorology. The front did come down over Ireland as well but with the temperature just that tiny bit higher, most of what fell on lowland was rain, but all the hills locally were snowcapped for a while. I can think of many times when the weather forecasters have been far less right than on this occassion.

we had a medium 5 minute snow shower earlier today in meath but since then its been solid blue skys and sunshine, prolly just end up with a hard frost tonight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement