Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Met Eireann and fahrenheit. Why?

• 13-02-2012 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭

Watching the weather after the 9pm news and temperatures in fahrenheit were mentioned? Why on earth was this nonsensical measurement even used?

I don't mind things like knots being used for the sea area, its a system thats been there for years and works, but fahrenheit has no place in Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Noticed that this evening myself, thought it was very strange all right. Never seen them do it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

K_1 wrote: »
    Noticed that this evening myself, thought it was very strange all right. Never seen them do it before.

Siobhan is just trying to educate the people with some weather lingo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Siobhan is just trying to educate the people with some weather lingo!

Some completely obsolete weather lingo. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't see any benefit in ME using F as a temp measurement. C is the convention in Ireland and Europe. Next it'll be Kelvin (which I can relate to more than F)

Don't mind me though as I get peeved with the likes of Operation Transformation using stones and pounds rather than kg!

Metric is still a long way from standard in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I tought the americans and canadens were the only ones to use fahrenhiet. mabey they were useing the canaden models tonight:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Strange, even the BBC are finally getting over Fahrenheit and not mentioning that X centigrade is Y Fahrenheit as a matter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Thats even more confusing/annoying than the winds in kmph I always have to convert it back to mph in my head to know how windy it will be:mad:

My mother hears 100kmph winds forecast on the radio and still thinks its in MPH she been tellin people nearly every week all winter theres a 100mph storm on the way lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I can still relate to Fahrenheit when we are talking 60ºF and up. In fact I'd know what to expect during a heatwave more if you told me it was going to be 85ºF than the celcius equivelent. However below 60ºF I can relate more to Celcius. "Its going to be 29ºF tomorrow". eh...does water freeze at that temperature or wha??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

In fairness to Siobhan she does try to add a bit more information into her forecasts. I think she is the only one of the presenters that shows what stage the moon is at and the time of sunrise in certain parts of the country.
    I know they are only small things but I find it useful.
    I know on the weather after the six one news yesterday she did mention Fahrenheit but it was Celsius on the chart. Not a big deal imo.

Advertisement