Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your weather C.V.

• 10-02-2012 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Had the idea for this thread whilst driving home today, just a little something to keep us occupied. We all kind of know which side of the fence our fellow boardsies sit on but thought might be nice to build a who's who type thread. Keep it short and snappy.

I'll start...

Name - Mrs Robinson
    Age - Late 30's
    Place - Ripon, Yorkshire but grew up in London, moved to Dublin 7 years ago.

Weather Forecasting Experience - None. A dodgy leg that plays up when there's cold on the way, prone to headaches before a storm.

Weather Equipment - Aldi €30 weather station.

Favourite types of weather - Extremes of anything - Snow, thunderstorms, wind and don't mind a bit of sun every now and then but hate being hot if I have to work.

Least favourite -Drizzle - if you're going to rain do it properly or not at all.

Best/worst weather event ever experienced - The big storm of '87 in South East England, remember waking up to pitch black and howling winds, next doors shed in our garden, and a day off school scouting the area for damage. I think this was the pivotal event that turned me on to the delights of various types of weather. Can honestly say I don't think I've had a worst event.

If money was no object where would you choose to live based on climate - Probably would split my time between Thailand - wicked thunderstorms with torrential downpours followed by gorgeous hot sun 10 mins later - and somewhere Fargoesque with guaranteed snow.

Your favourite weather photo that you have taken - you can only pick one - Not the best quality - Iphone 3GS - but everytime I view this photo, it takes me back to last November, I'd just walked home from work in this...ahhh happy times!
    Snow%20on%20the%20Avenue.jpg?w=fdb77f42

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Great Idea! :)

Might try do that link to ur photo again , aint workings ... :rolleyes:

Heres mine so .

Name - Ian
    Age - 22
    Place - DuBlin :cool:

Weather Forecasting Experience - 2 years studying CLimate Science experience , so id say... intermediate? ha :rolleyes:

Weather Equipment - Currently saving for a Vantage pro 2 , had a Irox pro previously... miss it me does :(

Favourite types of weather - Extremes of anything *SNAP! :) *- Snow, thunderstorms, windstorms ... i like really hot days , once they can be accompanied by evening thunderstorms! :)

Least favourite *SNAP!* -Drizzle - if you're going to rain do it properly or not at all!!!!! :mad:

Best/worst weather event ever experienced - Witnessing 3 tornadoes in one day while over storm chasing in the great plains last May! With one of them being an EF - 3 wedge ! :D
    ALso nearly getting struck by lightning the day before! ha
    Worst?.... think it was 2008? Real warm summer... couldnt sleep at all at all! :rolleyes:

If money was no object where would you choose to live based on climate? - Probably Canada/ US boarder... pretty much guaranteed all the extremes of weather every year! ha

Your favourite weather photo that you have taken - you can only pick one -
    Easily chosen... my photo of that EF-3 wedge tornado , took it out through the car window , we were moving at about 60mph ! :)

248494_10150285397366718_631736717_9717651_708130_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Name - Paul
    Age - 38
    Place - Sligo

Weather Forecasting Experience - 4 Years web administrator of http://weathergossip.com

Weather Equipment - 2 Rain Gauges, 1 Anemometer, 1 Barometer, I Wind Vein, 1 Oregan outdoor remote temperature sensor, 1 metrotronic temperature sensor max min thermometor, 1 garden thermometer. 3 fridge magnet thermometors and 1 indoor thermometer in the babies room

Favourite types of weather - Very Heavy Rain, Wind and Sunny April Days!

Least favourite Cloudy Strata when its sunny in Dublin

Best/worst weather event ever experienced - Driving in snow in 2010 and crashing car, getting stuck in floods in October

If money was no object where would you choose to live based on climate? - Probably Canada too so I could find MT

Your favourite weather photo that you have taken - snow ones of last year . They are here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

good idea H2U

Name - Derek
    Age -Very Late 30's
    Place -Dublin
    Weather Forecasting Experience - None.
    Weather Equipment -none :o,live in apartment so not much point
    Favourite types of weather - Extremes of anything - Snow, thunderstorms, wind but would love seasons ie:summer sun,winter snow etc (not asking for much :D)

Least favourite -don't have a least favourite,weather is what it is,hate the expectation only to be let down

Best/worst weather event ever experienced - best 82/87 snow,also remember a lightning event late 80's, i think, which was spectacular

If money was no object where would you choose to live based on climate - like i said id love seasons so would have to be somewhere like Canada

Your favourite weather photo that you have taken - haven't taken to many so don't have a favourite but heres my sad pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Name - Conor
    Age - 22
    Place - Letterkenny

Weather Forecasting Experience - None but studied 4 years of fluid mechanics & thermodynamics so have a decent understanding of the physics behind it all!

Weather Equipment - None, been a student for the past 4 years, hopefully get one once I settle down

Favourite Weather -
    Hot and sunny

Least Favourite Weather - This week, i.e. constant grey mist and rain

Best/Worst Weather Experienced - Worst is probably the 1998 Stephens Day storm, lived on an island off the NW coast directly exposed to the storm, three trees down in the garden and a neighbour had their roof blown clean off their brand new house. Cut off from the mainland for over 3 days as well without electricity.
    Best, a tie between last December, (the 17th in particular where we had 28cm of snow in around 15 hours) and a great summer thunderstorm about 10 years that parked itself overhead with torrential rain and an hour of fork & CG lightning, epic.

If money was no object where would you choose to live based on climate -
    Somewhere with a good warm summer with frequent thunderstorms and a varied winter with a few extreme cold spells mixed with more comfortable weather. Somewhere in the US mid-west maybe

Your favourite weather photo that you have taken -
    Haven't taken many so suppose I'll stick one up from last winter

The morning of Dec 18th, not a good photo by any means but brings back some good memories :)

photo0226w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Name - Sam
    Age - 23
    Place - Living in Cork City, originally from south Tipp.

Weather Forecasting Experience - In my final year of an environmental and earth system science degree with a fair few modules done in meteorology, climatology, oceanography, etc, so I've a little forecasting knowledge

Weather Equipment - Casio watch with thermometer, air pressure and altimeter.
    A Skywatch Explorer 4, handheld anemometer/weather station thing for when I'm out and about.
    A La Crosse WS2350 weather station at my parents house and a crappy science museum station for my apartment in Cork.

Favourite types of weather - Snow, cold and storms are my favourite. I generally like extremes though.

Least favourite - Muggy, drizzly days where it's too warm to leave the hood up and too wet to leave it down!

Best/worst weather event ever experienced - When climbing the Galtee Mts in December 2010. Frozen snow, ice, drifts over 4ft deep, freezing cold, isolated, moderate snow, wind.... perfect!

If money was no object where would you choose to live based on climate - Coastal Labrador or maybe Alaska.

So hard to pick just 1 photo, but I'll go with this for now
    Image0173.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Name - Fergal
    Age - 36
    Place - Kildare

Weather Forecasting Experience - Degree in Physics and Chemistry, PPL Meteorology Course and a few online Meteorology courses.

Weather Equipment - La Crosse WS2800 (plus an old Oregon WMR928 which is crap - only the temp/humidity sensor works). Suunto Vector altimeter watch, which acts as a nice backup altimeter in the plane.

Favourite types of weather - Hot and sunny.

Least favourite - Not hot and sunny. (Ah no, contrary to popular belief, I actually love a good snow storm, but am realistic in my expectations of getting one in Ireland!)

Best/worst weather event ever experienced - TheBig Snow of January 1982, that great thunderstorm of July 26th 1985, and being caught on a mountain in the teeth of a severe thunderstorm in Sardinia as lightning struck nearby. Worst would be the surfing weekend in Lisdoonvarna in August a few years ago where there was torrential rain literally all weekend - except for the couple of hours we were surfing! :rolleyes:

If money was no object where would you choose to live based on climate - Dubai.

Your favourite weather photo that you have taken - you can only pick one - Taken at 5,500 ft over Leitrim, while flying back from Sligo to Weston on March 10th 2010. A nice example of a subsidence inversion.

IMG_1631.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Age - 19
    Place - Bray, Co. Wicklow

Weather Forecasting Experience - None really, used to put up some short term forecasts on my website a few years back but haven't had the time recently. Two years into a science degree at the moment.

Weather Equipment - Davis Vantage Pro 2

Favourite types of weather - As many posters above, any extremes really, especially if they are sudden and haven't been forecast it just seems to make it more exciting. Wind, snow, floods, thunderstorms etc.

Least favourite - Dull and drizzley muck, especially high pressure systems which stick around and stagnate into boring overcast conditions. I particularly remember December '06 which was like this.

Best/worst weather event ever experienced - Supercell thunderstorm in Switzerland bearing down on us and crossing lake Geneva right in front of us a few years back, will never forget it.

If money was no object where would you choose to live based on climate - Northern Corsica, although that wouldn't be solely based on the climate i just love the area. That said they do get many extreme storms and a notable number of waterspouts around the coast, hefty snowfalls in the mountainous regions in winter and nice heat in the summer. Also can experience fairly extreme winds in it's exposed location in the med as well.

Very hard to pick just one photo, I have a good few lightning favourites along with some snow and icicle ones too, but i think i'll go with this one from the set from the swiss storm mentioned above.
    DSC_43300001.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Age - 37
    Place - Dromahair

Weather Forecasting Experience - Absolutely none other than being able to tell when its going to rain based on how close Arran Mor looks to Burtonport in Co. Donegal.

Weather Equipment - Maplin weather station. A hand head anemometer. Garden Thermometer.

Favourite types of weather - Strong winds (BF11/12, or tornadoes), a big fall of snow, a massive show of lightning, a good cloud day (ie lots of varieties over the day) a crisp frosty morning, a sunny but still day (Not too hot, but not too cold) and finally good hard rain (provided I don't have to go out in it!)

Least favourite - Muggy misty rain that goes on for weeks.

Best/worst weather event ever experienced - Most memorable is the lightning storm I experienced in the early 80's, it was absolutely unreal! The lightning was right over head and I could see the sparks from where it was hitting the ground in the surrounding area.The air smelt really funny. I also saw it hit our neighbours chimney, knocking a bit off it and taking a couple of tiles out. There was sheet and CGI and a range of colours running all through the lightning and bouncing off the clouds. The thunder accompanying was as loud as a jet engine, totally deafening, there were claps and later rumbles as it moved off.
    I was outside dancing around watching the show with my poor Aunt standing at the back door screaming at me to come inside. I refused point blank and in the end up, she came sprinting out like an Olympian off the block, snatched me up, flung me under her arm and ran back into the house with me. Later I was to realise how much danger I had been in dancing about beside a huge electricity pole!

If money was no object where would you choose to live based on climate - anywhere that has snow, storms and some sunny days...

Your favourite weather photo that you have taken - can't find it.. will post it when I do. -

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Interesting thread. Surprised at some of the ages!

Name - Paul
    Age - 22
    Place - Wexford

Weather Forecasting Experience - None, Only what i have learned here and some other sources over the last year, Complete amateur and weather is a hobby for me.

Weather Equipment - None at the moment. GF bought me a davis vantage a year ago but was lost moving home before i even got a chance to set it up :(

Favourite types of weather - Hot and sunny, Thunderstorms and snow.

Least favourite - Damp overcast and dull.

Best/worst weather event ever experienced - Best would be the snow last year, Heaviest and most prolonged i'll see for most of my life i would say. Worst would be the christmas eve storm of 97? Because i was only 8 at the time and was a scary experience at the time. Would love it now though.

If money was no object where would you choose to live based on climate - Edmonton, Canada with all my friends that are their. Proper seasons.

Your favourite weather photo that you have taken - I haven't taken many as i don't have a nice camera but i suppose this photo from the snow in 2007. It's nothing amazing ut the only i can find now.

3aq74.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Great idea:D

Like Baraca, surprised by the ages of you guys, makes me feel really old:mad:

Name - Diarmuid
    Age - Nearly 42
    Place - Live in Ashford, Co. Wicklow but born in Bangladesh (or East Pakistan as it was then) to a Dub and a Corkonian and grew up living all over the place - East Africa, West Africa, Southern Africa, Far East & Middle East.

Weather Forecasting Experience - None. Last winter reignited a dormant interest in the weather, finding IWO and boards has really helped me to learn more but far from understanding anything

Weather Equipment - Oregon 100N purchased January 2011.

Favourite types of weather - All weather is exciting - I just don't like it all.

Least favourite - Misty drizzle.

Best/worst weather event ever experienced - While Hurricane Charlie was battering Ireland I was boarding up our house in Taipei as a Super Typhoon approached (think it was Vera but 1986 was a long time ago) it was mad. Loved the rainy season in Africa and the lightening storms that went with it.

If money was no object where would you choose to live based on climate - The Rockies, honeymooned there - love snow but the mountains in the summer are unbeatable and the colours of the glacial lakes is only mad.

Your favourite weather photo that you have taken - This photo is of the Vartry river running through Mount Usher Gardens in Ashford in flood following the rapid thaw in January 2010, our resident Heron looks on... love seeing him/her sitting on the weir as I drive through the village. (Can't put it in the post...maybe someone can help?)

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IWICKLOW6

192398.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

(Can't put it in the post...maybe someone can help?)

192398.jpg

How did you do that K 1 and tks

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Name - Phil
    Age - 54 - and having seen the ages of you lot I feel really old now:)
    Place - Ballyhaunis, Co Mayo - but been most of europe at one stage or another

Weather Forecasting Experience - None. Other then being interested in it - started to keep bees last year and the weather relays a big part in how they react

Weather Equipment - Davis Vantage Vue and some 1-wire stuff that I am adding to my weather setup

Favourite types of weather - Thunder & Lightning

Least favourite - Fog

Best/worst weather event ever experienced - Ice Storm in Washington a few years back - just managed to get to the airport before everything was shut down

If money was no object where would you choose to live based on climate - I quite like where I am now

Your favourite weather photo that you have taken - A recent sunrise one from the back garden946153729DC748B6B1742D01814431BE-0000341728-0002725227-00800L-669D375BD98D400B8E30834ABCD4B403.jpg

www.carrowhawny.com (and I need all the visitors I can get :D)

Not the oldest now, thanks jdee99 - can feel a spring in my step. Come on ya auld ones

thanks mate that fills me with so much joy :D

jdee99 wrote: »
    thanks mate that fills me with so much joy :D

Love the web site (envious of it in fact), dip into it on a regular basis:)

Thanks for the feedback - whilst I have put it together most of it isn't my doing there is a whole load of PHP script files out there than can be put together. Been a bit of a step learning curve but am please with the outcome.

Phil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

How did you do that K 1 and tks

Upload your image as normal.

Then press the attachment button >>> attach.gif

And your attachment is listed. Press it and it shows in the post.

Advertisement