Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Synth Advice

• 26-02-2019 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a MicroKorg and a bunch of Korg Volca's. I was looking for a nice synth between 350 and 800 max that could do the following

* Piano weighted keys (don't need more than 61 though)
    * Piano sounds presets (kids are learning piano)
    * Arpeggiator
    * Easy to 80 sounds (Thriller, Technotronic, Depeche Mode, Toto, Aha etc)
    * Easy to get some cool sounding trancey sounds.
    * Layering. Would like to be able to play something record it to a track and then play over it.
    * Sync with a drum machine. I have the korg volca beats. So would be nice to be able to sync with that.
    * I don't want to have to connect it to a laptop or ableton etc. I just want to turn it on wack out sounds and feel cool. Yeah I know I am saddo :-)

I don't want to be spending ages learning how to program it. User Experience is a must.

I saw you can get DX-7's for 400 second hand, but then I was thinking ah jaysus, I bet you I'll need a USB and that will be pain because it just too old now.

Then I was thinking, hey what about a Modx, but it looks like a pain to program. I want to be literally see someone playing Thriller or some 80's wacky thing on youtube and then copy it quickly. I am not looking to record my own album with sounds no-one else is using.

I looked also at Roland JD-XA, but again looks too sophisticated. I have a young family so f - all free time. If I get an hour at the weekend I am lucky and I don't want to be wasting that trying to learn to program it.

Also look at some of the Dave Smith Instruments, they sound nice but seem very niche.

Any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Keep an eye out for a used Roland System-8. I picked one up recently and it does everything you need. It was just a touch more than your budget but this would be worth making the stretch for. Its also very versatile with the Plug-Out options from Roland. It basically lets you use it as a standalone for the VST versions of the famous synths. I'm probably not explaining it very well but its worth doing a bit of research on.

Advertisement