Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Didn't realise the €9 meal in bars was a fad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

jester77 wrote: »
    Too right, I remember doing some bouncing in a club in Limerick around this time, and they were serving chilli con carne from the cloak room. It was the nastiest of stuff.

Was that Termights?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Really as far a guidelines are concerned they need honourable people to observe them in order to work. I'm a long time shuffling around this earth and I'm still waiting to meet a publican who falls into that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

YFlyer wrote: »
    Was that Termights?

I forget which the name, 2 floors with the second overlooking the dancefloor, was that Termights?

I forget which the name, 2 floors with the second overlooking the dancefloor, was that Termights?

Yeah the Savoy. Top floor Termights ran by Bob O'Connell and Albert Tuoby. Floor below was either Legends or Works. Unofficially you could go up and down the two floors by the back stairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's a catch 22 for the pubs, and restaurants. If they follow the guidelines then they won't survive, margins were already tiny now

Gross margin on food in a Sligo pub-restaurant = 74%, so the Head Chef told me

Gross margin on beer can be up to 70%

Chain pubs in Ireland (there are very few of these) get bulk discounts on kegs, which they don't pass onto customers = 80% gross margin.

Typical Dublin pub net margins = 30%, according to the business plan for a new pub quoted in Sunday newspaper.

Pub in Kinnegad this week: 19.95 for burger, chips, salad and pint

Pub in Holloway, London: 6.30 GBP for burger, chips and pint = approx 7.50

(Note that in the UK there is 20% VAT on food, whereas 13.5% here)

A small town in the Irish midlands charges about double London prices.

Low margins!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Once there's a huge rise in cases come the end of this month I'll guess the August Bank Holiday will be just like this year's Paddy's Day.

Ah the mythical second spike. The one that was coming after May bank holiday weekend. The one that was due after the June bank holiday weekend. The one due after the BLM rally. The one due now that planes are coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Geuze wrote: »

Chain pubs in Ireland (there are very few of these) get bulk discounts on kegs, which they don't pass onto customers = 80% gross margin.

Typical Dublin pub net margins = 30%, according to the business plan for a new pub quoted in Sunday newspaper.

Low margins!!!!

Why do you think so many Irish bars have permanently shut their doors over the last ten/15 years, if the margins are so good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I wonder why they've fallen off a cliff.

Because the hysteria surrounding the virus and the reality are completely different?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Low margins!!!!

Cheery picking can always highlight differences. I paid E20 for a basic breakfast in Humburg recently while the place across the road was only E9 for all you can eat. Dicey's Garden used to be less that even your London pub and that's in central Dublin.

The margin on the food isn't their profits. If it's so profitable why do the vast majority of restaurants and cafes fail in the 1st year?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Low margins!!!!

Is the quality the same or is the London pub using Witherspoons microwaved muck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Too right, I remember doing some bouncing in a club in Limerick around this time, and they were serving chilli con carne from the cloak room. It was the nastiest of stuff.

Docks?

Ah the mythical second spike. The one that was coming after May bank holiday weekend. The one that was due after the June bank holiday weekend. The one due after the BLM rally. The one due now that planes are coming in.

That’s a really silly post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Theres a lot of silly stuff being said here.

Pubs were never meant to open this week, just Restaurants and Cafes. Some of the more foodie pubs then jumped on the wagon and said we will open too, which to my mind is fair enough. Then some non food pubs got miffed and said they were opening up and would offer crisps and nuts and sandwiches etc.

As it was just Restaurants to open up they issued some guidelines to the Pub/Restaurant trade to make sure that they would avoid a packed pub with people falling around the place and shouting in each others ears etc.

As usual some places will take the piss and wont put the effort in to protect their staff or their customers and could probably leave themselves open to being sued if they operate in an unsafe manner.

As usual some people want it all, they want to be safe and protected from the virus but want everything back the way it was asap, unfortunately we cant have it all.

Theres a serious danger that a few rogue pubs will ruin it for everyone, theres no way to enforce these recommendations so they may have to go back to a blanket ban again.

None of the 4 pubs in my village opened this week, they are all waiting until they get the official green light some are afraid to open in case they catch the virus.

Weve done really well so far, it would be a shame if all the good work and sacrifice was thrown away by a few greedy chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Why do you think so many Irish bars have permanently shut their doors over the last ten/15 years, if the margins are so good?

Lack of trade due to prices being too high?

Costs are way too high in Ireland, although much of this is not due to the publican:

rents - Galway city retail rents exceed Edinburgh and Birmingham
    energy costs
    insurance costs - massive awards and compo culture
    excessive wholesale prices - the brewers charge more here than into the UK market

All this means gross profit margins are higher here to cover higher costs

Although I also feel there are higher net margins here

Lack of trade due to prices being too high?

Costs are way too high in Ireland, although much of this is not due to the publican:

rents - Galway city retail rents exceed Edinburgh and Birmingham
    energy costs
    insurance costs - massive awards and compo culture
    excessive wholesale prices - the brewers charge more here than into the UK market

All this means gross profit margins are higher here to cover higher costs

Although I also feel there are higher net margins here

So your previous post is possibly pointless, or if not, at the very least, misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

YFlyer wrote: »
    Yeah the Savoy. Top floor Termights ran by Bob O'Connell and Albert Tuoby. Floor below was either Legends or Works. Unofficially you could go up and down the two floors by the back stairway.

Ah, wasn't that the place with the steep staircase and velcro floors? I have a vague recollection of it being in the George, damn, it's over 20 years ago now, could be wrong.

Ah, wasn't that the place with the steep staircase and velcro floors? I have a vague recollection of it being in the George, damn, it's over 20 years ago now, could be wrong.

I was in Tropics, could have been 80s night, when one of the lads said there's Jimmy White. Thinking it was someone that looked like him. Low and behold it was the Whirlwind passing through with a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

You decided to post this at 1 at night after a feed of 9 euro pints maybe you should have posted this on twitter, would probably have got more of an reaction ;)

Ah okay makes sense so.

Was wondering if it was an actual rule or just a guideline yet again...

The government are making an absolute shambles of this. 'oh we don't think you should travel but the flights are still going and we can't force you not to'

And now 'oh you have to buy a substantial meal if you go out for a drink and you can only stay for 120 mins but by the way no one will enforce it'

Well, you can always insist on food and if not provided within that 120 minutes you can also leave.

You do still have personal choice you know, in all aspects of your life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The mandatory meal is to stop people getting smashed on an empty stomach and getting into fights on a night out. Granted the majority of people won’t go around fighting anyhow, but it’s a catch all precaution.
    It's crazy how people do not see this, some really are that stupid or have just not thought it through, but many are feigning ignorance trying to look smart -but it backfires big time.

jprender wrote: »
    And the 9 euro minimum ? ��

People with a tenner in their pocket won’t throw punches ? ��
    It certainly will in many cases. if you gave me the choice of 2 angry scumbag twins to face, one who had a standard 10 euro meal in a pub after 1hour 45mins worth of drinking and one without I know who I would sooner face.
    Beanybabog wrote: »
    I thought it was because only restaurants were allowed open, and pubs that serve food said they should be allowed too? The €9 thing was to stop the peanuts and a pint meal- if they’re opening and serving food it needs to be real meals
    the 9 euro was already law for restaurants. I posted links to eddie rockets who had to stick to this over 10 years ago. Many restaurants would not have gotten permission to open in many areas if they could operate as pubs.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    I don't think that's the reason, people will get drunk regardless. Empty stomach or not makes no difference (people eat during the day?)

It's to limit people going down the pub, and to allow pubs that can serve food reopen as a 'restaurant'. If they re-opened straight away with no meal requirement, they would have been mobbed.
    empty stomach make a huge difference, have none of you people ever had your mammy or others mammys try and feed you up before heading out on the drink? I had it all the time, decades on they are still at it! (some might be subtle so some might have genuinely not even noticed!) Have none of you heard the phrase "eating is cheating". I find it astonishing that people would not know about this.

It's the very reason a restaurant can get planning permission where a pub cannot, mental how some are acting like there is no difference, if a business opened near your house would you be more concerned if you heard it was a sports pub or a sushi restaurant? its not fcuking rocket science.

They would have been mobbed without the requirement, indeed, that was the point. They knew people would break the rules, and of course they have but I think it was a success as I did not see many manic scenes. The "mad lads" thought they were great to get 4 hours drinking in and not having to buy a meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Shelflife wrote: »

Theres a serious danger that a few rogue pubs will ruin it for everyone, theres no way to enforce these recommendations so they may have to go back to a blanket ban again.

It's almost as if people are being made to go into and stay in the pubs! It's all the greedy publicans fault!

It's called personal responsibility folks......

rubadub wrote: »
    It's crazy how people do not see this, some really are that stupid or have just not thought it through, but many are feigning ignorance trying to look smart -but it backfires big time.

It certainly will in many cases. if you gave me the choice of 2 angry scumbag twins to face, one who had a standard 10 euro meal in a pub after 1hour 45mins worth of drinking and one without I know who I would sooner face.

the 9 euro was already law for restaurants. I posted links to eddie rockets who had to stick to this over 10 years ago. Many restaurants would not have gotten permission to open in many areas if they could operate as pubs.

empty stomach make a huge difference, have none of you people ever had your mammy or others mammys try and feed you up before heading out on the drink? I had it all the time, decades on they are still at it! (some might be subtle so some might have genuinely not even noticed!) Have none of you heard the phrase "eating is cheating". I find it astonishing that people would not know about this.

It's the very reason a restaurant can get planning permission where a pub cannot, mental how some are acting like there is no difference, if a business opened near your house would you be more concerned if you heard it was a sports pub or a sushi restaurant? its not fcuking rocket science.

They would have been mobbed without the requirement, indeed, that was the point. They knew people would break the rules, and of course they have but I think it was a success as I did not see many manic scenes. The "mad lads" thought they were great to get 4 hours drinking in and not having to buy a meal.

The rules from the very start were only for gob****es anyone that knows how to wash and social distance didn’t need them

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Sam Hain wrote: »
    You must have been in some shape.

Is potato a shape?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

The Garda was probably taking bribe money to turn a blind eye.

What do you base that on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Awful lot of people getting thick or thinking I posted this for a rise or a reaction! Ha.

Yesterday was my first time going out to a bar /restaurant whatever you wanna call it.

We were heading to our local Indian and wanted to have a drink somewhere beforehand, regardless of whether we needed to spend €9 on a 'meal' with our two drinks, we didn't care that we had to.

But yet when we arrived to said place, there were no menus anywhere, no plastic screen things dividing the bar and the customers, no mention of food or a time limit either. And this place is a gastrobar type place

I didn't post it for a rise, it made me laugh actually, Ireland once again trying to make up rules that barely anyone sticks to.

My one question is, while I was sitting there a member of the Gardaí walked in. Clearly saw large groups of people sitting at tables together with all pints on the table no food, not social distancing the tables beside them, and he just walked right out?

No plastic screens on the bar or table service. 2 hrs later passed the place and it was the same.

Yet the Gardaí are meant to be 'checking for compliance' today...

Awful lot of people getting thick or thinking I posted this for a rise or a reaction! Ha.

Yesterday was my first time going out to a bar /restaurant whatever you wanna call it.

We were heading to our local Indian and wanted to have a drink somewhere beforehand, regardless of whether we needed to spend €9 on a 'meal' with our two drinks, we didn't care that we had to.

But yet when we arrived to said place, there were no menus anywhere, no plastic screen things dividing the bar and the customers, no mention of food or a time limit either. And this place is a gastrobar type place

I didn't post it for a rise, it made me laugh actually, Ireland once again trying to make up rules that barely anyone sticks to.

My one question is, while I was sitting there a member of the Gardaí walked in. Clearly saw large groups of people sitting at tables together with all pints on the table no food, not social distancing the tables beside them, and he just walked right out?

No plastic screens on the bar or table service. 2 hrs later passed the place and it was the same.

What are you asking us for? You were the only one there.
    It's your local town, ring the sergeant/super and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Should it not be the HSE enforcing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Personal responsibility is needed as much as anything.
    If you're not happy with the set up of a place, you should leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Should it not be the HSE enforcing this?

Presumably the HSA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Sorry but what exactly did you want or expect the Guards to do in that situation? There is nothing they can do

Advertisement