Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

People should behave responsibly without trying to exploit loopholes in the law.

There is no law on self isolation.

Maybe people should self isolate after coming home from the pub, or self isolate after the supermarket visit.

The key message is that while out we should be constantly protecting ourselves through the wearing of masks and washing/sanitising our hands. We should try to maintain social distance in a sensible manner and if we have any symptoms we should stay at home.

Lockdown is temporary. We can not eliminate every risk but it is about managing the risk as best we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

What part of self isolation do people not understand? Meeting up with the parents for dinner is not self isolation.

Presumably the part that it isn’t a legal requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

sligoblue wrote: »
    They came through Dublin, are here living and working legally. The guy, his wife and child went home to visit family in Iraq in February and got stranded there when the lockdown came into effect. He was returning to his home here last week because his business was due to reopen on Monday.

Unfortunately other members of the Arabic community in Sligo have reported racist comments due to some people wrongly assuming that they are all the same, all live in the one dwelling, and are all there illegally.

Thanks for the clarity

I hate to be that guy though and say: source?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarity

Yeah, the people on here spouting that nonsense about them coming through Belfast and working illegally in barber shops should be ashamed of themselves

Thanks for the clarity

Google is your friend, there are plenty of newspaper reports on it.

His brother who picked him up was interviewed on Ocean FM, the local radio station and both guys are well known, as is there business in the town, they have been here quite a while.

• Advertisement

Via Citizen in the main thread
    31 cases associated with travel in June and NPHET to meet tomorrow to review the response to the virus

Get stronger restrictions on our fúckng Airports!

Via Reddit Ireland
    My mate just got back from Germany, they didn't even take his details. I got back about a month ago and at least I had to fill in a form that was saying where I'd be for the 2 week quarantine.

What stronger restrictions to you want on Irish citizens and people legally entitled to pass through our airports? Do you want detention cells where people are locked up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

What stronger restrictions to you want on Irish citizens and people legally entitled to pass through our airports? Do you want detention cells where people are locked up?

The airbridge idea sounds great. Anyone else coming here from other countries, including Irish should go into mandatory quarantine.

My mate just got back from Germany, they didn't even take his details. I got back about a month ago and at least I had to fill in a form that was saying where I'd be for the 2 week quarantine.

Our Airports are among the weakest in the world

No hyperbole

It's a fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭gral6

Get yourself a space suit and wear it till vaccine is found

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Yeah, the people on here spouting that nonsense about them coming through Belfast and working illegally in barber shops should be ashamed of themselves

I'm sure the newspapers thoroughly researched everything they were told by the family in question and didn't just take their story and print it. That would never happen here :rolleyes:

jay0109 wrote: »
    I'm sure the newspapers thoroughly researched everything they were told by the family in question and didn't just take their story and print it. That would never happen here :rolleyes:

Did you do any research before you posted that they arrived into Belfast and are illegal immigrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Did you do any research before you posted that they arrived into Belfast and are illegal immigrants?

Nope, hence I said 'make of that what you will'!

Did Holohan not say in his press conference a few days ago when this cluster was first revealed that they had come in through Belfast? I'm near certain I'd saw that referenced here that evening

jay0109 wrote: »
    Nope, hence I said 'make of that what you will'!

Did Holohan not say in his press conference a few days ago when this cluster was first revealed that they had come in through Belfast? I'm near certain I'd saw that referenced here that evening

Every report has them arriving in Dublin, they filled out the relevant forms in Dublin airport, there is no reference to Belfast in relation to the cases in Sligo.

Saying they are illegal, dishonest and insinuating they tried to circumvent the guidelines by landing in Belfast is just spreading misinformation.

Via Reddit
    2FM interviewed Irish people in the airport this morning undertaking non essential travel, going to Spain on the hols, when asked were they concerned about bringing back covid19 they replied "ah shur we'll deal with it" .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Via Reddit

I really hope those are the ones to get 100+ days of symptoms. Wouldn't the wee holiday to Spain be worth it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I really hope those are the ones to get 100+ days of symptoms. Wouldn't the wee holiday to Spain be worth it then?

What a horrendous thing to say. Spain has similar per capita covid rate to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Michèal Martin needs to meet with UK and NI leaders and have cross-country consensus that people from Americas will not be granted entry to UK, NI or ROI and they need to make it law. Imagine people from US etc. reaction if they had low incidence of virus per capita and we were allowed to flock to their countries without impediment with high rates of the virus, there would be uproar and rightly so.

Irish Government:

"We recommend against foreign travel, but here’s a list of places you can go"

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

Without a doubt we’re in for an increase in the number of cases over this month. Driving through town today, everyone seems to walk around as if the virus doesn’t exist. Very few people wearing face coverings and respecting the social distancing. It’s human nature to become complacent with regard to strict guidelines that so many of us have followed for such a long time.

Although I believe there won’t be mass migration of tourist this summer season, there will be SOME coming over from hotspots namely Americas and UK. There will be many Irish people looking for their biannual sun holiday too, in the process they’ll be in close contact with others from UK and other parts of Europe and they’ll carry it home.

Common sense tell us we should stop all flights or highly regulate those crossing our borders, but this doesn’t fit the EU model and as a nation we tend to listen to Brussels even when our people don’t agree with it. All you can do is be unselfish and control your own hygiene practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Also from that article:
    Young adults and women more generally are exhibiting worryingly high levels of depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Bloody snowflake generation :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

Danno wrote: »
    Also from that article:

Bloody snowflake generation :rolleyes:

I thought the generation Z don’t drink alcohol anymore because it has too many calories, making them un-photogenic for their TikTok videos and Instagram poses; so they take Xanax instead listening to Lil pump and 6ix9ine, ultimately curing their anxiety!

Without a doubt we’re in for an increase in the number of cases over this month. Driving through town today, everyone seems to walk around as if the virus doesn’t exist. Very few people wearing face coverings and respecting the social distancing. It’s human nature to become complacent with regard to strict guidelines that so many of us have followed for such a long time.

Although I believe there won’t be mass migration of tourist this summer season, there will be SOME coming over from hotspots namely Americas and UK. There will be many Irish people looking for their biannual sun holiday too, in the process they’ll be in close contact with others from UK and other parts of Europe and they’ll carry it home.

Common sense tell us we should stop all flights or highly regulate those crossing our borders, but this doesn’t fit the EU model and as a nation we tend to listen to Brussels even when our people don’t agree with it. All you can do is be unselfish and control your own hygiene practices.

Do not say for nation, just say for yourself. A lot of people would not agree to go back to their boxes and they are right. You can if you want

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I thought the generation Z don’t drink alcohol anymore because it has too many calories, making them un-photogenic for their TikTok videos and Instagram poses; so they take Xanax instead listening to Lil pump and 6ix9ine, ultimately curing their anxiety!

Boomers and gen X have proven to be the real snowflakes during the crisis tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think it's a lot more difficult to close borders to specific countries than people think. I am waiting to get the ok to travel back from the states currently to visit the family. Imagine it never happened and I was determined for some reason, like a bereavement. Firstly I don't think you can legally refuse entry to someone with an Irish passport, also I have a Canadian passport, they cannot refuse me entry either. Furthermore, for people with enough influence(probably not me in this case) there are always "exceptions" made. Basically there will still be traffic between any two countries even if they are banned, it would be a serious effort to break your own laws(by deny entry to Irish citizens), stop cronyism(by not making exceptions for your mates), and enforce your law outside your borders(by stopping connecting travellers, routing back to Dublin)

I think it's a lot more difficult to close borders to specific countries than people think. I am waiting to get the ok to travel back from the states currently to visit the family. Imagine it never happened and I was determined for some reason, like a bereavement. Firstly I don't think you can legally refuse entry to someone with an Irish passport, also I have a Canadian passport, they cannot refuse me entry either. Furthermore, for people with enough influence(probably not me in this case) there are always "exceptions" made. Basically there will still be traffic between any two countries even if they are banned, it would be a serious effort to break your own laws(by deny entry to Irish citizens), stop cronyism(by not making exceptions for your mates), and enforce your law outside your borders(by stopping connecting travellers, routing back to Dublin)

They did it fine in USSR though. It looks like a lot of people want to be living with their handcuffs on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The hse are a Fcukin disgrace why is there not strong laws against travel from countries where the r rate is much higher than here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Why can you not fly in when we have American tourists flying in? Is the problem that you won’t get back as you’re not a US citizen?

Advertisement