Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much do you miss the pub?

• 03-04-2020 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

It's Friday night and all I want to do is go for a pint of Guinness in my local. I just love the atmosphere of a rural pub, talking ****e with the lads, throwing a few darts, watching the LLS on the tv. Lol.

It's going to be a long couple of months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Im kind of the opposite as to why I miss it. I like the pub when its nice and quiet, or with a gentle enough buzz when there are a group of people around but not crammed in shouting and talking drunk crap. When the noise levels go sky high or the music plays, im out of there. Im an introvert but I get a lot of pleasure out of a chat and a laugh with family and friends, passing the time of day with locals and strangers alike. Good for the head to be around people. That part I miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Have to stay in to see Leo and wait with baited breath for more restrictive measures, the misery, oh! the glorious misery, 'tis better than a flailing of nettles.......

I stopped missing it after a week, once the mind reconciled with the body that the pour was no more. If I'm stuck, crack a can and whatsapp an old friend. Sure it's not the same as random banter in the local, but these are the cards that have been dealt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Never thought I'd say it but Guinness from a can is actually decent enough if poured right, not exactly the same obviously but not awful either.

Still miss a quiet pub though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Haven’t been in a pub in 2-3 years.

• Advertisement

I miss a few but most of them are so ****e now that they’re better closed.

Pints are better though, cans don’t come close, so they need to survive. Anyone pouring Guinness from a can and telling you it’s near like a pint should be checking their temperature, or they’ve been drinking in the wrong pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

_Brian wrote: »
    Haven’t been in a pub in 2-3 years.

Well Done

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Don't really miss pubs at all.
    I do miss restaurants though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Video Conference, a few cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

My folks are so desperate they're trying to figure out where Carrickstown is as McCoys is still open...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Don't miss them at all. How about when this is all over turning all the pubs that have a viable chance of surviving into gyms and restaurants.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The pub probably constitutes about 20% of my drinking environment these days vs home but I do really miss it. More so as a signpost of normality again.

My wife and I were just saying we'll appreciate it all more when this is all over and will try to scedule more frequent pub/cinema/threatre/music and restaurant trips over a given month instead of defaulting to lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

AMKC wrote: »
    Don't miss them at all. How about when this is all over turning all the pubs that have a viable chance of surviving into gyms and restaurants.

Makes sense seeing as the entire country is at one with your tastes.

There’s enough restaurants and gyms are breeding grounds for twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'll never complain about the pub being quiet ever again.

I long for a pint and a flutter on a nag at some random racecourse.

Its return will be glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Dont miss the pub but miss giving an aul fingerbang afterwards down a lane to get rid of the hot nuts dust.

Damn COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Friday afternoon beers was for the most part the only time I'd be in the pub. It was something that I looked forward to all week long. I do miss this. I have half a dozen cans in the fridge and another 10 or so in a press. They've sat there unopened for the last three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Even if the pubs were open, there be no riding until we get over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Not at all, only ever go if ive been out for dinner and we go for a drink after. Wouldn't cross the door of a pub for a drink only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Im nearly two months into trying to do one year sobriety. I had enquired about joining a gym few days before the virus hit. Im not sure if this crisis is making it harder or easier for me to not drink. Definately easier now as i dont drink at home but after being cooked up alone at home all the time like everyone else, whenever the pubs reopen i will be longing for a social drink i imagine. More so to get out and have some human interaction and craic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Very much so.

Makes me realise how much of my social network is pub based. Wouldn't even have contact details for a lot of them.

Pub friends, I might say, rather than real close friends, but close enough for me to miss their company. And the staff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

It's Friday night and all I want to do is go for a pint of Guinness in my local. I just love the atmosphere of a rural pub, talking ****e with the lads, throwing a few darts, watching the LLS on the tv. Lol.

It's going to be a long couple of months.

I don't miss it, then again I'm rarely there nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

How about no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Never thought I'd say it but Guinness from a can is actually decent enough if poured right, not exactly the same obviously but not awful either.

Still miss a quiet pub though.

The key is to have pour one can and put the next one in the freezer. the next one will be perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I was talking to a friend a few days ago and said that I used to drink in a named pub every Saturday night.

Then I realised that I was referring to it as something that might not happen again, and thought 'Jebus!'.

Not your ornery onager

I miss the quiet of everyone else going out

Friday night,everyone stuck inside....sure we'll call blaaz,sure he never geos out,he'll know what to do

Fcuk off and let me catch up on home and away :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Dont miss the pub but miss giving an aul fingerbang afterwards down a lane to get rid of the hot nuts dust.

Damn COVID-19.

Did he/she/heshe always find your sweet spot in these back alley situations?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dont miss them tbh after this is over I'll be slow to go b as ck as I think it will take a while to get used to being in close contact with people

Let's turn all gyms in to pubs and while we are it I would like the country to cater exactly to my needs only.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Do you reckon other countries are bemoaning the pubs being closed? We need to uncouple Irish culture with drinking. Don't play up to a stereotype. We are so much better than that.

Btw, Guinness is about as Irish as Beefeater gin. Arthur Guinness was a hardcore Unionist of British blood. Guinness is still referred to as Protestant Porter by many.

Advertisement