Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Government Benefits Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

Flying Fox wrote: »
    I'm wondering the same. In my case it looks like my work will slow to a trickle, but I want to be able to serve my clients again when this is over. The information today seems very black and white.
    Same for my OH. It seems strange that she would have to turn any bit of work away (not that she's had any for the last two weeks anyway) to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

I was put on 3 days week due to downturn in business because Covid19 so I will I be getting 2 days from 203 or 350?Very confusing.
    My work place is not esential by any means but they still keep us in the offices with public coming

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Frank12

Do you get an confirmation email/text to acknowledge your application or if your application was processed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

morrga wrote: »
    You hours worked should equal a pro rata of salary received. So if you receive 70% of salary and employer doesn’t top it up then work 70% of the hours you are contracted to on full pay.

I still don't understand. what does the employer claim back then if he's paying me only for the days I'm working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Frank12 wrote: »
    Do you get an confirmation email/text to acknowledge your application or if your application was processed ?

I have not heard anything yet. Applied Friday. Some people have said they got it into bank after 4 days, so I guess that is confirmation of sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Anyone able to tell me if I was self employed and was unable to work due to the coronavirus can I still apply for the emergency payment even while on a state pension?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The_Brood wrote: »
    So really I am in the worst position in all of this. I have to work, but all the work that I put in barely makes any more money than if I lost my job and was not working.

What are you on about??

Were all in this together.

What about the minimum pay workers slaving it out in meat factories and food processing plants to keep us fed during this crisis. Putting them and their family at risk.

And youre giving out you have to work at home.

You selfish tosser.

Ireland doesn't need people like you at the moment.

Just looking for help from other self employed people who have applied for the emergency payment, how did you fill out the form? I see no option for "self employed" on it, just asking for employers details. Work has totally dried up completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mwv

So really I am in the worst position in all of this. I have to work, but all the work that I put in barely makes any more money than if I lost my job and was not working.

The people who are getting this support didn't choose to "just not work right now". They have lost their job and all the security that goes with that. A lot of businesses will not survive the next couple of months, there is no guarantee of their old employment at the other side of this. It is a short term measure to give people a liveable wage without having to apply for HAP/rent supplement. Be grateful your area of work is likely to continue through the crisis, and furthermore, you are not front line and can do so from the comfort of your home.

I can't imagine you would be saying this was unfair if you were facing the fear and uncertainty that goes with losing your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Have some dignity.

• Advertisement

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I still don't understand. what does the employer claim back then if he's paying me only for the days I'm working?

He claims back whatever he pays you up to 70% of salaries up to 38k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

chooey wrote: »
    I'm just wondering would anyone be able to answer my query. I've handed in my notice 8 weeks ago ( have to give 10 weeks notice). I am finishing up in my current role in two weeks time and am meant to be starting my new role at the beginning of May. My role is listed as an essential role and we have to work from a clinic so cannot work from home. If there is any delay in starting my new job, would I be able to claim benefits for the couple of weeks until I do start? I'm not sure if it will even be an issue but I just want to forward plan. Thanks for your help

I would doubt it. You gave up your job prior to any pandemic. You dont fit the criteria im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

We will have to layoff some hard working employees next week temporarily. If a single one of the employees lucky enough to be kept on utters a word of the same rubbish you are coming out with, I will give them their wish and leave them go home and claim the 350. Instantly. And their job will go to one of the people that they were calling lucky.
    And if it wasn't for the social distancing responsibility I'd be sending them to the intreo office (but I won't, I'll operate the temporary refund scheme in the interest of health)

Most self centred entitled post I've ever seen.
    And get a better job if you're only coming out with a little more than 350

morrga wrote: »
    He claims back whatever he pays you up to 70% of salaries up to 38k.

I normally work 5 days.
    Business is down.
    Now I work 2 days, and I work , I'm not going in and sitting at the desk.
    I get paid for the 2 days work.
    why does the employer claim back 70% of what he paid me for working? :confused:
    Is it a help from the Gov to the company because business has collapsed?

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I normally work 5 days.
    Business is down.
    Now I work 2 days, and I work , I'm not going in and sitting at the desk.
    I get paid for the 2 days work.
    why does the employer claim back 70% of what he paid me for working? :confused:
    Is it a help from the Gov to the company because business has collapsed?

A company can only claim this it company revenue is down 25% and it is struggling with cash flow. Before this subsidy it looks like the company could afford to pay you for two days so they should put you back on a 4/5 day week if the govt subsidy bridges the gap.

I'll have to sleep on it.
    There is no actual work at the moment to do for 4/5 days, so when you say put me back to 4/5 day, you mean pay me for 4/5 days?
    so the govt is paying me through my employer.
    I'm sure it will be clearer in the morning.
    Thanks for your patience:)

The idea is to keep as many staff on payroll even if work is not there so you should be paid for 4 or 5 days even if work is not there. This is designed to protect income levels and keep the economy moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Whats the story with self employed where work might slow to a crawl due to everyone else being closed but not unemployed as such?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

I applied for the covid19 pandemic payment on mywelfare.ie as I was let go last week. When I applied, I got a notification telling me I had to apply for jobseekers as well, but I haven't heard of anyone else have to do this.

Anyone know what that's about?
    The covid 19 payments are only stop gaps. You need to apply for JSA/JSB for the long term.

chooey wrote: »
    I'm just wondering would anyone be able to answer my query. I've handed in my notice 8 weeks ago ( have to give 10 weeks notice). I am finishing up in my current role in two weeks time and am meant to be starting my new role at the beginning of May. My role is listed as an essential role and we have to work from a clinic so cannot work from home. If there is any delay in starting my new job, would I be able to claim benefits for the couple of weeks until I do start? I'm not sure if it will even be an issue but I just want to forward plan. Thanks for your help
    Essential services are desperate for qualified, experienced staff. Contact your new employer and ask if they want you to start earlier than planned.

You don't say what line of work you're in, but if it's health/social care most agencies are looking for staff now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

jrosen wrote: »
    I would doubt it. You gave up your job prior to any pandemic. You dont fit the criteria im afraid.

ok thanks for that-was wondering what the situation would be. I think I'm ok as I was speaking to my new boss and he said that everything should hopefully be going ahead as normal. Here's hoping anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    Essential services are desperate for qualified, experienced staff. Contact your new employer and ask if they want you to start earlier than planned.

You don't say what line of work you're in, but if it's health/social care most agencies are looking for staff now.

Unfortunately I'm not in human health-I'm a vet. Though it looks like we may possibly be called on to assist as this is looking very likely in the UK also. Department is also calling for assistance at this time so I've sent my form back tonight and can help during my time off in between jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Wife got the €203 today will she get the extra €147 on top of this or will it €350 from here on in? Looks like she’ll be out for the 12 week duration..

Doesn't look like it as its for payment and applications on or after 24th

Gov.ie states

If you have already applied before the 24th of March or are already in receipt of the Pandemic Unemployment Payment you do not need to do anything. Your next payment will be paid at the increased rate

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭DartBhoy1888

Firstly, sorry if this has been answered already, I've looked but can't find the answer..

I have applied for the covid-19 payment as I have been told I won't have any hours while the restrictions are in place.. I HAVE NOT been let go, I still have my job and my hours will return once government lifts restrictions.. My employer has even said he might be in a position to pay me 10 hours a week..

So I'm asking do I still have to apply for job seekers benefit, even though I'm still employed? Thanks for any help..

Firstly, sorry if this has been answered already, I've looked but can't find the answer..

I have applied for the covid-19 payment as I have been told I won't have any hours while the restrictions are in place.. I HAVE NOT been let go, I still have my job and my hours will return once government lifts restrictions.. My employer has even said he might be in a position to pay me 10 hours a week..

So I'm asking do I still have to apply for job seekers benefit, even though I'm still employed? Thanks for any help..
    You're on a short term layoff, which your employer thinks will only be temporary. Apply for the covid 19 payments for the short term and then apply for the JSA/JSB, but give it a while, they were saying you had to apply within 6 weeks, but the emergency payment has been extended so you probably won't need to apply so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭DartBhoy1888

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    You're on a short term layoff, which your employer thinks will only be temporary. Apply for the covid 19 payments for the short term and then apply for the JSA/JSB, but give it a while, they were saying you had to apply within 6 weeks, but the emergency payment has been extended so you probably won't need to apply so quickly.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

This line concerns me from the gov.ie website - "It will be paid in to your bank account every Tuesday once your application is processed."

Will further payments be made this week in that case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

What are you on about??

Were all in this together.

What about the minimum pay workers slaving it out in meat factories and food processing plants to keep us fed during this crisis. Putting them and their family at risk.

And youre giving out you have to work at home.

You selfish tosser.

Ireland doesn't need people like you at the moment.

Meat eating, as in what sparked this virus in the first place? World shut down because people have to devour animals when there are plenty of alternatives, and you want to lionize and defend more meat eating? Grand.

mickdw wrote: »
    Whats the story with self employed where work might slow to a crawl due to everyone else being closed but not unemployed as such?
    BarryD2 wrote: »
    Has anyone figured out how these government supports relate to the self employed?

All I can see is the criteria for eligibility - "have ceased trading if self-employed due to the pandemic"

Where did you see that line, out of curiousity?

The rules and eligibility criteria seem to be getting changed every five minutes. I'm a self employed photographer / sole trader. I have obviously nothing to photograph now, but I reckon I will be back in action once this whole thing ends.

I satisfied the criteria when I applied last week, which was that I experienced a temporary stop in business due to the virus. Whereas the wording you have, using the words 'ceased trading' makes it sound like you have to actually de-register and close the business.

I'd assume it's just a case of poor wording. The whole point in getting this payment is so that you can sit back and relax for a little while, knowing that you can still service bills and debts, and that you'll be able to bounce back into action from a strong position as soon as possible.

If you didn't get this payment, you'd be in headless chicken mode, and scarpering and panicking, and would have to close your doors. This is what they're trying to avoid, so it makes more sense that you are eligible based on a temporary slowdown, rather than permanently ceasing trading.

• Advertisement

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Wife got the €203 today will she get the extra €147 on top of this or will it €350 from here on in? Looks like she’ll be out for the 12 week duration..

Also curious about this.

Advertisement