Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Government Benefits Megathread

• 18-03-2020 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Hi all, a family member of mine is in her 60s and currently working as a shop assistant in a pharmacy. She lives alone and pays rent of over 900 euro a month so barely gets by each month as is.

She's only out of hospital a few weeks back for a benign growth diagnosis but is now terrified of catching covid-19 and no longer wishes to work (after persuasion from myself to stop, she wanted to keep working at first and still asks that maybe she could come in in the evening).

What are her options and entitlements here?

Does this fall under the bracket of sickness pay ? She has already rang the doctor who more or less was telling her to look after herself is all, nothing about stopping working. Should she ring back and tell her she can't work given the cirucumstances?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭cr-07

Hello everyone,

My apologies if this has already been answered. Does anyone know if you leave your job due to fear of catching covid-19, do you still qualify for the welfare payments of €205 / €305? Or do you only qualify for it if you get the virus / self isolating / your employer closes down?

Reason asking is my father wants to take a break from his job until things blow over, as he doesn't want to to risk being in contact with anyone who may have it as he has to come home to my ill sister. He works in a job where he comes into contact with quite a few people from the public on a day to day basis.

He said this to his employer but the employer doesn't seem to care, so he is wondering if he walks out will he qualify for these payments.

Thanks for any info in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

cr-07 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

My apologies if this has already been answered. Does anyone know if you leave your job due to fear of catching covid-19, do you still qualify for the welfare payments of €205 / €305? Or do you only qualify for it if you get the virus / self isolating / your employer closes down?

Reason asking is my father wants to take a break from his job until things blow over, as he doesn't want to to risk being in contact with anyone who may have it as he has to come home to my ill sister. He works in a job where he comes into contact with quite a few people from the public on a day to day basis.

He said this to his employer but the employer doesn't seem to care, so he is wondering if he walks out will he qualify for these payments.

Thanks for any info in advance!

Could he not take annual leave?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread merged:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Advice please. Three weeks ago after 4 years of receiving full time carer's allowance, I lost the carers allowance for my mother. My husband works full time and we went over the income allowance. Both my parents are over 80 and feeble.

We had home help coming in to them but now they wont come in. We have no one to help out. I have to look after 2 young children off school. Looks like my husband will have to take reduced hours. Is there anything social welfare I can apply for? Many thanks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

Leo Varadkar just announced that the covid unemployment payment will increase to 350 for the majority of social welfare payments, all of which are listed here: (Government took the webpage down shortly after I posted this) (new link: https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/a6d8fa-government-announced-new-covid-19-income-support-scheme/)

Guess who isn't getting the increased payment? People who were fully unemployed before the crisis, who are still expected to be able to live on 203 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Leo Varadkar just announced that the covid unemployment payment will increase to 350 for the majority of social welfare payments, all of which are listed here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/773fa3-what-to-do-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic-if-youre-already-getting-/

Guess who isn't getting the increased payment? People who were fully unemployed before the crisis, who are still expected to be able to live on 203 per week.

if only you had got a job a few weeks ago!!

well, you're still here. so you must be doing ok

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Leo Varadkar just announced that the covid unemployment payment will increase to 350 for the majority of social welfare payments, all of which are listed here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/773fa3-what-to-do-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic-if-youre-already-getting-/

Its good news its never going to please eveyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

This i dont have a problem with.

We had full employment.

There was a job there if it was wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,925 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why would you expect to get more? You haven't experienced a loss of income suddenly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

No issue with that. Might upset a certain ethnic community however who no doubt will cry 'discrimination'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

link not working

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Is the increase only for 6 weeks? I was laid off just a week before all this came here :mad: :( No jobs at all available right now. Guess i'm stuck with 203euro though.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Is the increase only for 6 weeks? I was laid off just a week before all this came here :mad: :( No jobs at all available right now. Guess i'm stuck with 203euro though.

Unlucky timing.

Plenty of jobs in supermarkets from what I have seen.

Look on the bright side, anybody on €350 a week probably won't bother looking for a job, so while there may be fewer jobs, there will be less competition.

Can people on the new €350 claim for adult and child dependents as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Cliona2012

How many weeks does the CVID payment last for? Is it til April 21st (6 weeks after announcement) or 6 weeks from date when first applied for? (Say if I apply on April 6th one would get the payment for the subsequent 6 weeks)

rob316 wrote: »
    Why would you expect to get more? You haven't experienced a loss of income suddenly.

I did when I lost my job a couple a months ago, and because living on €203 is incredibly difficult and I have to rely on others to get by. And jobs aren't just there if you want one, I've been applying for jobs for months and not getting any calls back!

Another reason is you can't have 2 classes of citizens in the same situation but getting 2 different amounts based on when they lost their jobs.

I did when I lost my job a couple a months ago, and because living on €203 is incredibly difficult and I have to rely on others to get by. And jobs aren't just there if you want one, I've been applying for jobs for months and not getting any calls back!

Another reason is you can't have 2 classes of citizens in the same situation but getting 2 different amounts based on when they lost their jobs.

Sorry to hear and I understand your between a rock and hard place there but we can't give the "long term unemployed" a bump.

rob316 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear and I understand your between a rock and hard place there but we can't give the "long term unemployed" a bump.

4 months is not long term.

Not referring to you I'm talking about the won't work brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

How do you pay you then the 350 or whatever and not the people on the role for years. Has to be a cut off at some point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

I think that this is wholly unfair.

Undoubtedly there are some "scroungers" who were unemployed before the announcement of the increased payment. That's not a new problem

However, there are also plenty of people who were engaging with the department of SP and actively job hunting and interviewing. Now, their chances of gaining employment during this scenario have been hit, due to Covid-19. The same as the people who have lost their job since the announcement of the 350e payment.

People, regardless of the date of their employment termination, are now in the same situation with regards to securing employment and income. Therefore, they should not be treated differently (with the exception of any individuals that the DSP Deciding Officers consider ineligible, due to history of "not being available for work").

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

easypazz wrote: »
    link not working

Neither is he

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What is the actual 'D Day' date for the difference in payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,658 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They have all had the opportunity to claim for qualifying adults and dependents and housing assistance etc. PUP claimants don't get any of that.

Neither is he

The link went down shortly after I posted it.. And I was doing training part time while looking for work before the crisis. I was doing ECDL and MOS, I was and currently still planning to get onto a third level course in September. The increase is going to apply to people on the back to education allowance so why not normal jobseekers??

roper1664 wrote: »
    I think that this is wholly unfair.

Undoubtedly there are some "scroungers" who were unemployed before the announcement of the increased payment. That's not a new problem

However, there are also plenty of people who were engaging with the department of SP and actively job hunting and interviewing. Now, their chances of gaining employment during this scenario have been hit, due to Covid-19. The same as the people who have lost their job since the announcement of the 350e payment.

People, regardless of the date of their employment termination, are now in the same situation with regards to securing employment and income. Therefore, they should not be treated differently (with the exception of any individuals that the DSP Deciding Officers consider ineligible, due to history of "not being available for work").

How so?

Most people on this new payment may wait it out now and return to their old job.

Plenty of jobs are springing up because of this, less competition.

Also under the old scheme you could claim for spouse and dependants, so it would be over €350 a week anyway for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 alarmcode

I left my job four weeks ago in Ireland to take up employment abroad. I literally just finished my second week and I've been let go with zero entitlements due to the virus.
    I'm now back in Ireland tail between my legs. Am i entitled to the covid payment?

alarmcode wrote: »
    I left my job four weeks ago in Ireland to take up employment abroad. I literally just finished my second week and I've been let go with zero entitlements due to the virus.
    I'm now back in Ireland tail between my legs. Am i entitled to the covid payment?

Yes I would believe so mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Is this new payment for 6 or 12 weeks? I can't see my employer opening up until the summer at the very least.

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Is this new payment for 6 or 12 weeks? I can't see my employer opening up until the summer at the very least.

It is currently available until 19th of April I believe, then they will most likely extend it further closer to that date depending on how the situation unfolds.

Advertisement