Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

100% - 86% = 14%.

Compare 14% of the population with the number of hospital beds and ventilators in the country, and you'll understand why we are in a phase called Delay.

This has what to do with the pubs and people buying alcohol in the shops?

I’d say there’s about ten threads for figures and healthcare stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

pgj2015 wrote: »
    what age was the person who died today?

The report didn't say, but even if she was elderly - which I presume you're implying - she was still a person, and her life mattered as much as anyone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Do you seriously think that the countries enacting these policies, some in lockdown, are doing so in a frenzy of hysterical overreaction?

52% increase in confirmed cases here today, one death where no underlying medical condition was reported. This will increase day by day.

But yeah, let's all go on the piss. Be grand like.

Another strawman. What Im saying is if there is no way clear way to stop the virus then why not cordon off the public into those at risk and those at least risk. Just cos previous countries did what they did dosent mean we should with the benefit of seeing what happened in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The report didn't say, but even if she was elderly - which I presume you're implying - she was still a person, and her life mattered as much as anyone else's.

yes, but it often happens in fairness, old people die.

I hope you're as empathetic when your elderly relatives become ill, whatever the cause.

• Advertisement

I hope you're as empathetic when your elderly relatives become ill, whatever the cause.

when my elderly relatives died, I was sad but like they were old so it was expected, we cant live forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

As I just said in my post which you conveniently ignored and then strawmanned me, put resources medical, financial, and otherwise into cocooning the elderly and most vulnerable and let everybody else go to work and do their business. Its not a far out idea, instead of shutting everything down and crashing the economy. Im sure most elederly people would be happy to adhere to such measures

I think we have a failure to comprehend here, do you know if you are vulnerable or not, half a million people sick at the same time equals economic crash anyway ,

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

They shouldn't, this whole thing is ridiculous, if people want to avoid getting the flu then stay home from the pub

We should nominate you for the role of jester at each WHO meeting

He was just stating a reality. Im not sure how you know whether someone online has elderly parents or if they are empathetic towards them or not

no.8 wrote: »
    We should nominate you for the role of jester at each WHO meeting

Don't get heated sir, online debate is allowed

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote:
    when my elderly relatives died, I was sad but like they were old so it was expected, we cant live forever.

Sorry but you're either a troll or a complete idiot.

And it might take you or your loved ones too, just because the percentages of younger deaths are low they still happened and a lot of younger Irish people have sedentary lifestyles , smoke heavily and live on takeaways I'd be figuring Ireland and the UK will have a different demographic than Southern Europe

Sorry but you're either a troll or a complete idiot.

:pac: I honestly think it is crazy to think old people dying is not natural, I have seen lots of elderly people who have lived a long happy life, they never fear death, some even welcome it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What is the rule though? I didn't read anything about legislation forcing pubs to close but read that the cops shut a pub in Cabra last night.

They shut it because it was after hours.

He was just stating a reality. Im not sure how you know whether someone online has elderly parents or if they are empathetic towards them or not

Young people die too, that's a reality.

The fact that we're all mortal doesn't mean that we should stop trying to prevent and treat illnesses.

We're all going to die - sure just close all hospitals, GP surgeries and pharmacies and arrange a cull of all sick people.

Don't get heated sir, online debate is allowed

Fair enough. Look im all for alternative theories on how we (the community, the country...the world) should approach this, but realistically the over 65 level risk is only 1 area of high risk. Like someone said earlier, none of us who haven't had actually know if we are at risk or not...or if the circumstances at the time cause us additional risk (for example, being under the weather already, and then being hit by this bollix of a virus at the same time )

And it might take you or your loved ones too, just because the percentages of younger deaths are low they still happened and a lot of younger Irish people have sedentary lifestyles , smoke heavily and live on takeaways I'd be figuring Ireland and the UK will have a different demographic than Southern Europe

I live a life which is the opposite to the one you described.

You would like you’ll be delighted if it does too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

but when they have (or if they had) the possibility to live longer wouldn't you want that? And all it takes is the 'sacrifice' of taking it easy for a cpl months?

Rather than having to be ok with doctors choosing to save the life of a younger person over your relative?

I can only hope you and others with similar comments are trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I live a life which is the opposite to the one you described.

im allright jack ..... except if you have an undiagnosed underlying condition and then well your done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They shouldn't, this whole thing is ridiculous, if people want to avoid getting the flu then stay home from the pub

Stop trolling

Fair enough. Look im all for alternative theories on how we (the community, the country...the world) should approach this, but realistically the over 65 level risk is only 1 area of high risk. Like someone said earlier, none of us who haven't had actually know if we are at risk or not...or if the circumstances at the time cause us additional risk (for example, being under the weather already, and then being hit by this bollix of a virus at the same time )

Look we're all a bit heated and frustrated over this. If this is the right approach only time will tell but I fear its not and could do unneccesary damage to the economy when there is more sensible ways out there. What might work for China/Italy may not work as well for Ireland.

Doubt it, lardass with a games controller in one hand and a 3litre bottle of Coke in the other I'm guessing. Trackie bottoms and bedroom slippers for added slacker chic

stupid thing to say. i havent played a computer game in about 10 years ya knob. i also havent worn trackie bottoms in about 15 years. I work 7 days a week, play football maybe 3 times a week. eat very healthy etc. have never been fat in my life.

really stupid sad thing to act like you know what someone behind a computer screen looks like.

1st person I have ever added to ignore list btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Back to basics.

How are folk coping with closed pubs.

You would like you’ll be delighted if it does too.

I'm stressing about it far too much, at work I'm worried than anyone could be infected, hit the shower the minute I come home, Type 1 diabetic so you can see why

Back to basics.

I don't go to pubs but my Dad does and its one of his few social outlets so its tough for him

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If we don't want to follow Italy then people need to heed the advice....

It's getting serious and many will die.

I was surprised the drink wasn't sold out to be honest but was in Dunnes Saturday and anything that was on the offer was gone.... As they had the vouchers too was cheap slabs and vodka and a few others.

Back to basics.

Very well. I was a regular until the middle of last week and then tailored habits abruptly when the crisis loomed. Now protecting vulnerable loved ones is my highest priority, no matter what the cost. Some in this thread couldn't give a damn about others provided they themselves remain healthy, a saddening insight into the darker aspects of human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Don't see many reports of a run on the off licenses and supermarkets for grog.

Is this going to herald a change in our love for the oul pub/alcohol or what?

Did you ever hear of prohibition in America?

• Advertisement

Very well. I was a regular until the middle of last week and then tailored habits abruptly when the crisis loomed. Now protecting vulnerable loved ones is my highest priority, no matter what the cost. Some in this thread couldn't give a damn about others provided they themselves remain healthy, a saddening insight into the darker aspects of human nature.

yeah human nature, like half the country who crammed into all the supermarkets last week to buy all the essentials and toilet roll. i wasnt one of them btw.

Advertisement