Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sean Gallagher awarded damages - ''tweetgate''

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Nothing whatsoever was wrong with him. At least he had an opinion and experience in business. Has Higgins got an opinion on anything? Ireland elected the most boring person in Ireland to be it's President who doesn't seem to say anything.

What do you reckon Gallagher would have said had he been elected?

Sitting Presidents aren't allowed to comment on legislative issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I've no problem with rte paying for this. Whatever it cost it was one of the best pieces of public expenditure in recent years if it helped keep that cretin out of the park.

I for one have issue with RTE paying. RTE are not paying, its us.
    RTE annoy me in so many ways.
    Have you ever wondered why the RTE channels are the only channels in HD on Saorview?
    Its because RTE charges exorbitant fees to commercial stations for HD carriage on the network which they run. But RTE gets a free ride on the network because its our money.
    Just one of many things that peeve me about RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

RTE should have been shut down after that. Blatant intention to skew the Presidential Election.

And for all those saying so what or that they didn't like Gallagher, what happens when RTE tries to screw over your guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Indeed, Ivan Yates made a good point start of his show yesterday that the settlement could be significant. Don't remember the exact numbers but he had the value of the job (7 years salary + pension but excluding the free room and board) at north of €2 million.
    If I were Gallagher's lawyers I'd be arguing that RTE cost him that €2m + the damage to his good name. And would probably settle at somewhere lower than that.

Would everybody be happy if this guy got e.g. €1m of our money?

There's a reason the settlement amount was not publicised, it'd embarrass RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Would everybody be happy if this guy got e.g. €1m of our money?

I don't see why we'd be angry with him for getting money, it was the folks in RTE who engaged in this act. And none of them lost their jobs or indeed any disciplinary action. Maybe if they fired the guilty people, the savings from that could cover the settlement?

• Advertisement

Has Higgins got an opinion on anything?

You're joking, right? Higgins was probably one of the most vocal TDs in the Dail over the years. He has pretty strong opinions and was never shy to voice them.

As others have said, the role prevents him from speaking out now as president.

c_man wrote: »
    I don't see why we'd be angry with him for getting money, it was the folks in RTE who engaged in this act.

I didn't say "angry with him" though, did I?
    c_man wrote: »
    And none of them lost their jobs or indeed any disciplinary action. Maybe if they fired the guilty people, the savings from that could cover the settlement?

All good but unfortunately it's never going to happen.
    Which makes me angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Put the individual to one side. RTE in the guise of Pat Kenny, used an unverified source/tweet, and put the subject matter, in the public domain. That is the basis of good journalism thrown out the window. You check, high quality journalism, they would have at least two verifiable, if not multiple sources before running public with a claim.
    It was very poor judgement and poor journalism, both of the editorial staff and PK. That is why RTE has to apologise and pay out.

The picking apart of any one or all of the candidates, is a separate matter entirely. Don't go down the Fox News/Trump route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I didn't say "angry with him" though, did I?

Fair enough, my bad.

I'm angry too.

Let's go down to RTE and beat some people up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Water John wrote: »
    Put the individual to one side. RTE in the guise of Pat Kenny, used an unverified source/tweet, and put the subject matter, in the public domain. That is the basis of good journalism thrown out the window. You check, high quality journalism, they would have at least two verifiable, if not multiple sources before running public with a claim.
    It was very poor judgement and poor journalism, both of the editorial staff and PK. That is why RTE has to apologise and pay out.

The picking apart of any one or all of the candidates, is a separate matter entirely. Don't go down the Fox News/Trump route.
    Or CNN or MSNBC. Proper journalism doesn't exist anymore. It is not about being right, it is about being first and virtue signalling and agenda driven political hacks. Used to be a time when opinions got put at the door and facts only used during the news, not so much anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Presume there's nowhere to watch the debate online now? Would love to watch it again.. It was a truly magical night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

RTE should have been shut down after that. Blatant intention to skew the Presidential Election.

And for all those saying so what or that they didn't like Gallagher, what happens when RTE tries to screw over your guy?

Best bit of money RTE ever spent, as it is a small price to pay to have kept the likes of Gallagher from being President. Has he ever done a days work, other than getting grants for this, that and the other. Now another handout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Best bit of money RTE ever spent, as it is a small price to pay to have kept the likes of Gallagher from being President. Has he ever done a days work, other than getting grants for this, that and the other. Now another handout.
    So you think any abuse of democracy is ok as long as you approve of the result? It's not up to national broadcaster to keep anyone out or in office with false information.

You can dislike Gallagher but this kind of attitude is incredibly shortsighted and frankly dumb.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Still Ill wrote: »
    Presume there's nowhere to watch the debate online now? Would love to watch it again.. It was a truly magical night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Interesting to read that prior to that live debate that only he & Michael D had not been part of some paper rumours/accusations.
    Then his name gets dragged through the coals when he was the favourite in the polls and Michael D was second- it most similar instances you would conclude that the main beneficiary is usually the perpetrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

RTE annoy me in so many ways.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Watched the debate and he should have been the President. Much better than the hobbit or terrorist candidate.

Accidentally 'liked' your post. Whoops!

Anyway, it caught my eye. I voted for Sean Gallagher because having seen him speaking at public events I felt he was more inspirational than any of his fellow candidates. I also met him personally a couple of times and found him quite personable. I believe he would have been a good President.

So, while our current President wasn't no 1 on my ballot paper, as President I feel he deserves the respect due to his office. So I'm disappointed that you choose to mock him for his physical stature.

If Sean Gallagher runs again, I'll vote for him, unless a stronger candidate runs.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

quickbeam wrote: »

A Rabbit in headlights. Total spoofer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I think the political establishment realised Sean Gallagher was a credible candidate and used RTE to discredit him. The problem is in discrediting him RTE have been deemed to have smeared his character hence the award of damages. He has every right to damages if before the law his name was unfairly tarnished. We the taxpayer see our license fee used to settle a bill incurred by irresponsible broadcasting. We will most likely never know who was behind the derailing or how much it cost us financially. Shameful all around.

holyhead wrote: »
    I think the political establishment realised Sean Gallagher was a credible candidate and used RTE to discredit him. The problem is in discrediting him RTE have been deemed to have smeared his character hence the award of damages. He has every right to damages if before the law his name was unfairly tarnished. We the taxpayer see our license fee used to settle a bill incurred by irresponsible broadcasting. We will most likely never know who was behind the derailing or how much it cost us financially. Shameful all around.

Gallagher WAS the political establishment. He was up to his neck with FF and tried to pull the wool over everyone's eyes by claiming to be an "independent" all of a sudden. And Jaysus, looking at this thread, it sure worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sean Gallagher was the least idiotic on that stage or morally disgraceful. When you have a terrorist debating your ethics as Sean had towards him then you have to call into question the legitimacy of the debate to begin with.

Every thread?

isolated_broken_record_gift_tags-r90b016a476e54ccf8b3ee11cd8454c8c_zycum_324.jpg?rlvnet=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 BinLiner2

I'd take McGuiness over gallagher

Gallagher WAS the political establishment. He was up to his neck with FF and tried to pull the wool over everyone's eyes by claiming to be an "independent" all of a sudden. And Jaysus, looking at this thread, it sure worked.

In a race that featured politicians like Mitchell, Norris and Higgins, he was hardly THE political establishment figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Who was the best candidate is neither here nor there.
    RTÉ took Gallagher out plain and simple.
    Frightening that they got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

holyhead wrote: »
    We the taxpayer see our license fee used to settle a bill incurred by irresponsible broadcasting. We will most likely never know who was behind the derailing or how much it cost us financially. Shameful all around.

It's a good point.
    Given the award is coming from public funding, shouldn't this be available under freedom of information ?
    And not knowing how it was able to happen in the first place doesn't give much reassurance that it will be avoided in future.

Anyways, the story ends back where it all began - with Gallagher collecting a large cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

In a race that featured politicians like Mitchell, Norris and Higgins, he was hardly THE political establishment figure.

Nobody said he was. Wrong emphasised word there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Wouldn't minding banging his missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

What exactly was so bad about him?

At the time I thought somone like him might have been good for the role. Youngish man who had been succesful outside of the world of politics. Recently married and about to start a family. I felt that would have given off a good image and revitalized the office to some extent.
    he was a fianna failer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

that doc is called the naked election presidential password protected on vimeo http://www.loosehorse.ie/portfolio-items/the-naked-election/ :/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

And a terrorist.

Advertisement