Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who wrote the Bible then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

M5 wrote: »
    A book that contradicts itself dozens of times, is incredibly vague and open to interpretation, makes dozens of demonstrably incorrect scientific and other claims...
    ....But written by an omnipotent, infallible God...
    Aye...
    Don't be shy. Give the detail.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Interesting to note is that there was an estimated global population of 1 million people at the time of Jesus. 1AD.
    The current world population is 7.5 billion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

iamstop wrote: »
    Interesting to note is that there was an estimated global population of 1 million people at the time of Jesus. 1AD.
    The current world population is 7.5 billion.
    More like 200million with a quarter of that living in the Roman Empire.

Rome had a population of about a million at it's peak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

the Holy Bible is class, lads. dont knock it just coz ur not into it,

check out Psalm 18 and Psalm 91

pretty awesome for 2day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

“If a man meets a virgin who is not betrothed, and seizes her and lies with her, and they are found, then the man who lay with her shall give to the father of the young woman fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he has violated her. He may not divorce her all his days."

Deuteronomy 22:28-29

If a man rapes a virgin, he has to buy her from her father.

The Word of God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Another anti religion thread eh?
    How do you atheists get the time to do anything else? :pac:

How do the religious nutjobs get time to post here when they are meant to be praying to their non-existent deity and helping the less fortunate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Zebra3 wrote: »
    How do the religious nutjobs get time to post here when they are meant to be praying to their non-existent deity and helping the less fortunate?

That doesn’t take up all their day, dude. Unlike you moaning and being angry on the internet. Almost puritanical in your misery to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Exactly. They have a severe hang up with anyone who has faith. I've met some nasty atheists in my time. Live and let live.

That doesn’t take up all their day, dude. Unlike you moaning and being angry on the internet. Almost puritanical in your misery to be honest.

Wow, one question really set you off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'll always remember the line out of Red Dwarf years ago. They found the missing last page of the Bible.
    ' all characters are purely fictional and any resemblance to actual persons etc etc'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Best explanation ever via Red Dwarf

NEWSREADER: Good evening. Here is the news on Friday, the 27th of Geldof. Archaeologists near Mount Sinai have discovered what is believed to be a missing page from the Bible. The page is currently being carbon dated in Bonn. If genuine it belongs at the beginning of the Bible and is believed to read "To my darling Candy. All characters portrayed within this book are fictitious and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental." The page has been universally condemned by church leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

cj maxx wrote: »
    I'll always remember the line out of Red Dwarf years ago. They found the missing last page of the Bible.
    ' all characters are purely fictional and any resemblance to actual persons etc etc'

Dammit - I need to read before posting :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

i bang out the full rosary in about 20 mins and thats with extra stringy bits between decades

and sometimes I'll lash out an auld hail mary when working

tis all good bud

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Wtf ? wrote: »
    They could hardly whip out a biro and quote JC word for word could they ? It was hammers,chisels and a nice flat bit of stone back then so shorthand was out of the question too. I think I have been sold a pup all along.....?

Who wrote the Bible when??

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Its full of
    Plot holes
    Historical inaccuracies
    Characters arcs are all wrong
    Too much fantasy
    Battle strategies were shocking

And Jamie Lanister should have won Game of thrones.

Eh what was the question again? Oh the Bible, decent book a bit long. Some good stories and lessons but we shouldn't take it too seriously like game of thrones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

The Bible is God's holy and inspired Word to us revealed through the prophets and the apostles and most clearly seen in God's Son Jesus Christ (Hebrews 1:1)

Feel free to come have a chat on the Christianity forum or send a PM if you'd like to find out more we'd love to have you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

Usually when folks question the validity of the Bible and Christianity, is a two fold dilemma. They are these so called Atheist wanting to prove they are right, for whatever personal reason. Or the ones who are unsure about taking that leap of faith, by questioning it.And it's ok to question and seek answers, that is why God gave man free will.

I'm not here to convince you of my beliefs in God. I think that it's a personal journey everyone goes through in their lifetime. Even the Atheists will still say Öh My God, when something tragic occurs. We all know of him, whether you believe in him or not, is a different matter.

Again, this my opinion and outlook. And I don't expect most folks to agree to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm currently reading The God Delusion if anyone fancies some 'light' reading during this crisis?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You strike me as the kind of man who would have spent a fair bit of time “studying” verses like Ezekiel 23:19-20, J.

“19 Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. 20 There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.”

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

FanadMan wrote: »
    Dammit - I need to read before posting :D

Don't worry. I'd forgotten about the ' Dear Cindy' bit :)

Usually when folks question the validity of the Bible and Christianity, is a two fold dilemma. They are these so called Atheist wanting to prove they are right, for whatever personal reason. Or the ones who are unsure about taking that leap of faith, by questioning it.And it's ok to question and seek answers, that is why God gave man free will.

I'm not here to convince you of my beliefs in God. I think that it's a personal journey everyone goes through in their lifetime. Even the Atheists will still say Öh My God, when something tragic occurs. We all know of him, whether you believe in him or not, is a different matter.

Again, this my opinion and outlook. And I don't expect most folks to agree to it.

That's because most people are swayed by reason and logic.

Religious headcases once wanted to burn people alive for saying the earth was round.

They told us that the earth was flat. That heaven was up in the sky. That hell was under the earth.

All proven wrong.

Then the religious nutters changed the goalposts and heaven was in some sort of fourth dimension and hell was somewhere else. And now hell doesn't exist because the man in Rome said so.

Whatever it takes to keep the money rolling in.

And let's not forget about all the gulags that the "fallen women" were locked up in.

Don't recall any religious groups campaigning for their freedom.

Religion is on its' arse in this country and what a relief that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

How do the religious nutjobs get time to post here when they are meant to be praying to praising their non-existent deity and helping preaching to the less fortunate?

fyp

How do you know someone is an atheist in this world? :p

.... Oh you'll know. Trust me youll know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Who wrote the Bible when??
    It's clear that Theo wrote it.
    The Bible is God's holy and inspired Word to us revealed through the prophets and the apostles and most clearly seen in God's Son Jesus Christ (Hebrews 1:1)

Feel free to come have a chat on the Christianity forum or send a PM if you'd like to find out more we'd love to have you.

...and rewrites it.... for the benefit of all humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

That's because most people are swayed by reason and logic.

Religious headcases once wanted to burn people alive for saying the earth was round.

They told us that the earth was flat. That heaven was up in the sky. That hell was under the earth.

All proven wrong.

Then the religious nutters changed the goalposts and heaven was in some sort of fourth dimension and hell was somewhere else. And now hell doesn't exist because the man in Rome said so.

Whatever it takes to keep the money rolling in.

And let's not forget about all the gulags that the "fallen women" were locked up in.

Don't recall any religious groups campaigning for their freedom.

Religion is on its' arse in this country and what a relief that is.

No sir, your cherry-picking with the extremes and every religion has them. From Christianity, Islam ,and Judaism. And it is those groups of extremes that the actual faith is painted.

Your going by one extreme to another argument which seems to be the norm in society. And I do agree with you that some have made a business of religion in this day. But it is far from the teachings. I am disgusted with all the tele-evangelists we now have.

But They don't speak for God, not even your Pope who is elected by man, and not by God. And I am not trying to sway your own beliefs in anyway. Your own journey is just that, your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Oh yeah, a single solitary nearly one year old thread randomly resurrected for no real reason. Man clearly inundated with the things we are :-p I do not know how you can move or think for all the threads you must be falling over :-p
    How do you know someone is an atheist in this world? :p .... Oh you'll know. Trust me youll know :pac:

Problem with that statement is it is entirely self selecting. You can reverse it and say exactly the same thing about theists. Or you can lift it out of this thread and drop it into any other, and change the wording to "Vegan" or "Democrat" or "Republican" or "Anti Vaxxer" and so on.

It is a vacuous catch all throw away phrase designed to say nothing at all while pretending to be saying something of note.

Problem with that statement is it is entirely self selecting. You can reverse it and say exactly the same thing about theists. Or you can lift it out of this thread and drop it into any other, and change the wording to "Vegan" or "Democrat" or "Republican" or "Anti Vaxxer" and so on.

It is a vacuous catch all throw away phrase designed to say nothing at all while pretending to be saying something of note.

Sorry. But I got a right smart arse vibe from your post. Like your entire point of your post was to blow yourself up.
    There for, I really don't care to be perfectly honest :)

Exactly. They have a severe hang up with anyone who has faith. I've met some nasty atheists in my time.

And I have met numerous nasty theists in my time too. I am not sure a pissing contest of anecdotes will get us anywhere though do you? Certainly you won't find me falsely generalising theists based on those anecdotes though in the "they" way you do above as if atheists are all some homogeneous group who think and act the same :)

That said though, if you burned books by my Favorites authors I would do nothing more than think much much less of you as a person and as an intellect. Meanwhile while I was taking the freely given and freely offered Catholic Bread wafers to experiment on I got open death threats as well as people telling me by email they would kidnap my children because it is the same thing.

I think there are nasty ass-wipes on both sides of any debate or position. However I am not so convinced both sides manifest that nastiness in the same way. The occasional mean word or open derision is not quite comparable to death threads and threats against children. While a member of the clergy say that atheists are not even fully human.
    Live and let live.

All that said however, I do so much enjoy any chance to post this link :) So ta for the platform. Actually with all my work with Atheist Ireland, Atheist Germany, Atheists America, the FFRF, and Atheist Alliance International I have rarely met ANY atheists who care if someone has faith as you suggest. It tends to solely be the manifestation of that faith in our halls of power, education and science that concerns them. And well it should.

People going around having faith though? Few seem to actually care all that much. As the saying goes though "Theres always one".

• Advertisement

I fear you read too much into that though. A knee jerk cultural turn of phrase does not hold any implication for what such people "know" in your mind. I am about as far from holding a belief in any god as anyone you are likely to meet. Yet the word "god" is also in my lexicon during expletives or sex or times of surprise or shock.

Such use of the word holds no implications about my belief or knowledge of a god than the fact you call Thursday Thursday means you believe in Thor. Linguistic cultural memetics are not an implication about personal beliefs about the universe.

As for my own personal journey with gods.... it has generally been made up of me asking people and books for any actual arguments, evidence, data and reasoning they might have to offer that even lends a modicum of credence to the idea there is such an entity. Only to find consistently that the answer is no. They have nothing.
    I am disgusted with all the tele-evangelists we now have.

Televangelists are indeed the extreme example of people openly profiting from religious nonsense. Or their faith healer on stage equivalents. However they are just the extreme. The Churches themselves are quite often essentially a business model too.

And they turn a tidy profit at times too. The wealth in the Vatican alone is a testament to that. At best the Catholic Church appears to be in the business of being a charity broker. And they do quite well skimming off the top.

They also appear to be in the profitable business of taking perfectly good ideas, ideas that hold utility and truth without any metaphysical or supernatural nonsense, and merely repackaging those ideas for re-sale.

I have yet to come across any religious idea of any actual use, that loses a SHRED of it's utility when divested of the divisive and unsubstantiated nonsense the particular religion packaged it in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement