Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible Cold Reload

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Only in Leinster from the look of it Yan. I'll be safe enough in the Wesht until friday.

This is a somewhat parochial query but hopefully of general interest. In the current set up, can you get streamers in Waterford and Cork? I appreciate when the weather comes from the North East (like Dec 2010) you can't but if the source of cold is due east or, particularly South East, does this change things? In this regard whilst Waterford and Cork are on the south coast, the way the coast line is (running south west) there is no land due east of the south coastline. Due east is the sea, hence the query........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Streamers are snow 'picked up' off the sea surface so you lot need a SE or S wind for streamers.

Strictly called Ocean Effect Snow see http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake-effect_snow

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

looking at the charts now you should see some snow by the end of the week,if thats enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The latest from the UK Met Office:

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action in one or more regions of England
    Issued at: Monday 30 January 2012 at 10:37
    There is a 100% probability of severe cold weather between 1000 on Monday and 1000 on Friday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.
    Milder conditions are likely to arrive during Saturday and Saturday night, with temperatures likely to rise above threshold values in all regions.

and

UK Outlook for Saturday 4 Feb 2012 to Monday 13 Feb 2012:
    Turning unsettled and less cold from the northwest during the weekend as a band of rain moves across the country. There is a risk of rain falling as snow on the leading edge and also falling on frozen surfaces giving a transient widespread ice risk. Heading into the first full of week of February though, there remains considerable uncertainty regarding the forecast with a risk of the colder easterly conditions returning at least across the east and south east. The most likely scenario is for further weather systems to push in from the west but stalling over the country giving an increasing risk of snow in central and eastern parts, especially over higher ground. Temperatures probably below normal in the east but near normal at times in the west.
    Updated: 1113 on Mon 30 Jan 2012

and:

UK Outlook for Tuesday 14 Feb 2012 to Tuesday 28 Feb 2012:
    Some cold weather looks likely during this period, with both daytime maximum and night-time minimum temperatures likely to be below or well below average at times. Rainfall amounts should be around average in northern areas, with some snow at times here. Further south rainfall is likely to be above average with some prolonged spells of rain possible, with also a risk of some significant falls of snow. Sunshine amounts will probably be around or slightly above average
    Updated: 1136 on Mon 30 Jan 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fully Established

Having just looked at the met eireann weather forecast they are not buying into this severe cold,Little change tomorrow. Cold and cloudy with spells of persistent rain, heavy at times especially early in the day, and an increasing chance of sleet or wet snow on higher ground. Top temperatures about 3 to 6 degrees, highest in the southwest of the province and also are warning against spot flooding what are they looking at thats been missed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

Having just looked at the met eireann weather forecast they are not buying into this severe cold,Little change tomorrow. Cold and cloudy with spells of persistent rain, heavy at times especially early in the day, and an increasing chance of sleet or wet snow on higher ground. Top temperatures about 3 to 6 degrees, highest in the southwest of the province and also are warning against spot flooding what are they looking at thats been missed here.

ME just seem to parrot whatever the latest ECM tells them. If that upgrades this evening, so will their outlook. You don't get the sense there is any human input in their forecasts beyond turning the ECM output into words.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

The latest from the UK Met Office:

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action in one or more regions of England
    Issued at: Monday 30 January 2012 at 10:37
    There is a 100% probability of severe cold weather between 1000 on Monday and 1000 on Friday in parts of England.

Wow I know this is a UK forecast, but they are not leaving any margin for error there :-)

ME just seem to parrot whatever the latest ECM tells them. If that upgrades this evening, so will their outlook.
    Unfair they do more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

does that mean parts of england will be mild

id be of the opinion that this cold weather will last for the week with the east seeing any snow then it could get extremely mild next week (this is as of today IMO but think forecasts will be changing)

• Advertisement

Unfair they do more than that.

I think in their early morning forecast they do seem to just copy the ECM. It can then change during the day and provide more detail..just the way i see it anyway.

lets hope for upgrades after the next set of runs..

What I do find strange is the the UK Met Office have no severe weather warnings out as yet for the UK..maybe it's being updated.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

What I do find strange is the the UK Met Office have no severe weather warnings out as yet for the UK..maybe it's being updated.

They have a cold weather warning - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/coldweatheralert/

Opr

I think in their early morning forecast they do seem to just copy the ECM.just the way i see it anyway.
    That is fairer than Rebelbrowsers comment a short while back. Maybe more junior staff do the nights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

rainymood.png

And still it rains......36 hours and counting......

That is fairer than Rebelbrowsers comment a short while back. Maybe more junior staff do the nights.

That's probably a fairer observation alright. I generally stick up for ME with the attacks they receive, this is just one issue that slightly irks me. Generally though I think they do a good job on, undoubtedly, scarce resources.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html[/QUOTE]

Updated now but no mention of any snow accumulations..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Generally though I think they do a good job on, undoubtedly, scarce resources.

They are certainly more than holding their own with boards.ie this "winter". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Some snow showing up south of Dub ??

190520.JPG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Wild Bill wrote: »
    And still it rains......36 hours and counting......

Embrace the rain:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

t|nt|n wrote: »

I'm sure it must be snowing on the higher parts of the Dublin and Wicklow Mountains.

3.7c with a DP of 2.8c here atm, so I'm sure a couple of degrees colder over the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html[/QUOTE]

Updated now but no mention of any snow accumulations..

Isn't it supposed to be mainly dry but very cold with the odd snow flurry for the next 4/5 days? Maybe that's why there's no warnings for snow accumulations. Weekend could be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I'm sure it must be snowing on the higher parts of the Dublin and Wicklow Mountains.

3.7c with a DP of 2.8c here atm, so I'm sure a couple of degrees colder over the mountains.

This is where it is showing up:

190524.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

t|nt|n wrote: »

190520.JPG
    That would be the Wicklow Mountains :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LoadofCROC

jeez..Nuala was just full of good news :mad:

Ireland. December 29th 2010. Image Captured by the MODIS instrument.

Streamers on Right.

507997main_ireland670-1210.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Yessss!! Hopefully I'll be able to do more of this, this year. The views were bloody amazing!

stevenf17 wrote: »
    Yessss!! Hopefully I'll be able to do more of this, this year. The views were bloody amazing!

jesus, that was beautiful. Well done :)

would love to be up there in that amount of snow, camping LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Any idea of snow potential for Athlone / Roscommon area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 LoadofCROC

stevenf17 wrote: »

now thats the closest thing to heaven ...WOW! :D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement