Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1926 Census

• 29-08-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Last night I was intrigued to hear one of the genealogist on the RTE show 'Genealogy Roadshow' that the release of the 1926 census would going to be released under the Programme for Government. Delighted by this revelation, I found this article on the Irish Times website:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0401/1224293540872.html

Perhaps some of you out there have additional information on the release of the 1926 census???

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yeah, it's in the program for government but I'm not terribly optimistic about an early release. A completed Metro for north Dublin was in Fianna Fail's 2002 PFG....

What I'm trying to say is that it's all well and good to aspire to have this released early, and I do think it would be relatively easy to redact information relating to our oldest citizens, the government has precious little money to spend on things like this. We may well get it early, but a single day earlier than 1st January 2027 would still be considered an early release. It took 7 years and 4.5m to get the 1901/1911 census online (and I won't go into the rake of errors therein here) and they were already microfilmed. AFAIK, the 1926 is just in paper format still.

I won't be holding my breath.

In the meantime, if you are looking for ancestors who moved around during that tumultuous period of our history, the best bet is electoral registers. Some are online (like a few for Dublin via Pearse St's library) but most are accessible in county libraries.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Whats that mean? IS THE 1926 census going to be released!? :eek: YAY! MY grandparents are in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

From what I understand, the 1926 Census for Northern Ireland was pulped for paper by the UK government during World War II :(

Oh crud I forgot ! Aw well 1931 is there that's both my grandparents!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

No census took place in NI in 1931. There was a census-lite in 1937 (due for release in 2038), and none in 1941 because of World War II.

• Advertisement

Well I think the 100 year rule is stupid because there will still be people alive who were in the census even right now there's people alove who were in the 1911 census

Well, that law was made a long time ago when it was exceptional to reach 100.

Tangent - it's fun to look on the census for people +100, there's loads, but I bet plenty are wrong:

1310 +/-5 years 100 on 1911
    53 +/-5 110 years
    13 +/-5 115 years

504 people aged 100 or more on 1901.
    One man on 1901 claims to be 122!
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Errislannon/Drimmeen/1370106/

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rafferr

Looks like Senator Labhrás Ó Murchú has put the Bill for the amendment Statistics Act of 1993 back on the Order Paper for the Seanad, this is the amendment required to release the 1926 census.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2011/3011/b3011s.pdf

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Well, that law was made a long time ago when it was exceptional to reach 100.

Tangent - it's fun to look on the census for people +100, there's loads, but I bet plenty are wrong:

1310 +/-5 years 100 on 1911
    53 +/-5 110 years
    13 +/-5 115 years

504 people aged 100 or more on 1901.
    One man on 1901 claims to be 122!
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Errislannon/Drimmeen/1370106/

Yes i seen that, i think that they should do the census data right up until 1940 and then stop. I can see where they are coming from because i'd hate people looking at my private information, i don't think the government should have some of that stuff its none of their business. A statistical count is alright but not personal stuff like religion, job, are you married etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flemishgael

It would be great if the 1926 Census could be released early. It is arguably the most important census in Irish history as comparing it to 1911 census can give us a great insight in that very turbulent period in history. If only those that make the laws would agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Anyone know what date the census was taken in 1926. My late Dad was born on 9th June that year and I was wondering if he will be on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

18th April 1926

see General Report on the 1926 Census (CSO)

shanew wrote: »
    18th April 1926

see General Report on the 1926 Census (CSO)
    you beat me to it.
    I'm currently writing a book on defensive structures in the Owenabue river valley and it would be good to compare the 1911 Census with the 1926 one as there were/are a lot of RIC barracks nearby as well as other military establishments to protect the harbour of Cork against invasions. After 1912 a lot of these were concentrated around Spike Island of course, but the protestant ascendancy also abandoned certain houses and moved to others and some families just completely disappeared. Plenty of evidence already, but the Census records would be the smoking gun that provides conclusive evidence.
    Guess it will have to be for a second edition print in 2026 though.

Thanks Shane, he won't be on it so but dying to see what the rest of the family were up to. From a different point of view I am looking forward to seeing what the men who returned from WWl were doing in 1926. So many of them found it difficult to find work on their return, it will be interesting to look at their occupations (if any) in 1926

jos28 wrote: »
    Thanks Shane, he won't be on it so but dying to see what the rest of the family were up to. From a different point of view I am looking forward to seeing what the men who returned from WWl were doing in 1926. So many of them found it difficult to find work on their return, it will be interesting to look at their occupations (if any) in 1926
    Like most of the nation I would say most of them are unemployed or forced to emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

So we may just wait the 12 years so.

I'll be 55. Touch wood I'm still around.

Like most of the nation I would say most of them are unemployed or forced to emigrate.

So true, I did a bit of research in that area for an undergrad thesis and from what I found the only ones who found any sort of permanent work were those who went back to Guinness or the railways.

So true, I did a bit of research in that area for an undergrad thesis and from what I found the only ones who found any sort of permanent work were those who went back to Guinness or the railways.
    The very same seems to be true in Carrigaline, the primary subject of my dissertation. Most men worked as farm labourers on the estates around Carrigaline, worked as tradesmen, fishermen, or were unemployed and moved away. It is amazing how many of the landlords even during the war of independence held on to their extensive holdings. Many of whom, moved abroad to their other estates, collecting rent in Ireland. The very same thing is true in Lismore, where the duke of Devonshire still owns large tracts of land in counties Waterford and Cork, and has quite a substantial income in rent from Irish tenants and farmers.

The very same seems to be true in Carrigaline, the primary subject of my dissertation. Most men worked as farm labourers on the estates around Carrigaline, worked as tradesmen, fishermen, or were unemployed and moved away. It is amazing how many of the landlords even during the war of independence held on to their extensive holdings. Many of whom, moved abroad to their other estates, collecting rent in Ireland. The very same thing is true in Lismore, where the duke of Devonshire still owns large tracts of land in counties Waterford and Cork, and has quite a substantial income in rent from Irish tenants and farmers.

Sounds fascinating, it's amazing how things have changed in such a relatively short space of time. Hope you let us know when it's finished and give us a chance to read your work. Best of luck with it

Sounds fascinating, it's amazing how things have changed in such a relatively short space of time. Hope you let us know when it's finished and give us a chance to read your work. Best of luck with it
    Will do.
    The first book about Martello Towers in Cork Harbour is available on amazon.
    Working on a few other projects as well.
    In my opinion little has changed. Ireland is a republic and autonomous but its land is still largely owned by foreigners and Ireland is in many ways more British now than it was under the empire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

So when is the 1926 census going to be released. I read the post about the prospect of us having to wait 15 years but what the basis of that is did not seem clear from reading all the posts?

2026, so 11 years. Seems the civil service are digging their heels in so it looks like the 100 year rule will apply unless there is legislation passed to change that.

Actually, it's 1st Jan 2027 technically.

Censuses have a 100 year seal in this country. Special exemption was made for the 1911 and 1901 but all subsequent are subject to the 100 year rule.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm really hoping for an early exemption again, or I have to make sure I'm still around when I'm 75!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I'm really hoping for an early exemption again

Given the furore over the Civil certs index I really can't see it but I suppose you never know. The next Northern Ireland census to be released is 2040! :(

But to play devil's advocate a little here, what do we hope to find on the 1926 census?
    I know where every member of my family was in 1926. Some small points will be of interest - exact addresses, etc. I will be excited to see all my grandparents on the census, none were yet born in 1911.

This led me to wonder exactly what was asked on 1926. I found this very interesting paper given by Sir William J Thompson, then registrar-general,in advance of the census taking which details it all.

They knocked out the question on ability to read and write, and the deaf/dumb/blindness question.
    They expanded the marriage/kids question to ask about orphans and other dependents. There's something about whether both parents are still alive too.
    The question on Irish language was expanded, as was details on occupation.

He also notes that special lessons were given to schoolchildren in the week before the census was taken. Machines were employed for the first time to gather statistical data.

I'm way more excited about it now than I was at the start of this post. 12 years is a long time to wait. Let's get lobbying again.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I have a couple of missing people in my tree and the 1926 census might tell me if they were still in the country or if another was still single.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'll give me some better ideas for working down a few lines that have gone cold due to women who probably got married - some have fairly unique names and a search of county of birth + first name + age will give me a decent set to go search for marriage certs on. This will be particularly interesting on my mother's surname as I still suspect everyone with it is probably a relation...

Its not going to get me any further *back* most likely; but you never know - I've often found automated record matches from god knows where on Ancestry when "killing off" someone with a valid date of death etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

A few years ago while talking with an old guy in the countryside near me he told me about his father facing down a priest who was trying to close their open house. Later though he said the priest got his revenge in the 20s when he got everyone locally to shun the family until they switched from CofI to catholic. I checked the 1911 census and the CofI is confirmed.

I had a colleague tell me that her grandparents had been Jewish, they too are on the 1911 reg but she didn't know when or why they became Catholic. I guess the quiet life was the optimal.

These were poor people, not rich or living off others.
    I wonder how many other forced conversions there had been in that period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 SherHist

I'm really hoping the get it out early - it should help solve a big family mystery (where a relative went to live after the death of her mother).

We've done a huge amount of work on our family tree but this particular relative is proving very tricky.

Advertisement